4.0 out of 5 stars Great for my son's battery Brio train

2.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, but too flimsy
Published on 5 Jan. 2010 by G. Buck

2.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, but too flimsy, 5 Jan. 2010
G. Buck "GeorgeB" (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Bigjigs Rail BJT050 High Level Track Expansion Pack (Toy)
My son was given this for Christmas 2009. Within a week 2 of the supporting legs have been broken. They are made of flimsy and thin plywood which doesnt stand up to being played with by an excited 3 year old who doesnt notice what he's about to sit on. As another reviewer noted, it is also tricky to get the pieces to fit together and the track comes apart too easily. We had high hopes for this, but it was a bit of a disappointment.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Fragile, 22 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Bigjigs Rail BJT050 High Level Track Expansion Pack (Toy)
This product is difficult to assemble and falls apart easily when the kids play with it

3.0 out of 5 stars She may be coming round the mountain..., 28 Dec. 2010
Quicksilver (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bigjigs Rail BJT050 High Level Track Expansion Pack (Toy)
When set up, this High Level Expansion gives your wooden railway a rare opportunity to get off the ground. My son has forever been trying to build multi-level track, using wooden blocks or Lego, and I hoped this would give him a more robust way of doing so. It is about halfway there. When set up, it looks great. The problem is it doesn't take much to knock it down.

The supporting pillars are made from two thin pieces of wood, with wooden blocks screwed to them at 90 degrees, upon which the track rests. Some thought has been given to how this should work; just above the track rests, are plastic teeth, which grip the track when it is pushed into place. The problem is that the wood used is cheap, and the screws holding it together don't bite very well, so the track rests can spin around. The plates with the plastic teeth then slip, and end up underneath the support block, where they are useless. I have had to superglue some of the pillars together, in order to prevent them falling from apart completely. Even when the product is built, with smaller children, who often lean on their toys when playing with them, the set falls down far too easily.

Even if the product were more robust, it would still be difficult for a small child to assemble. The various supports are different heights (in order to provide a gentle slope), but the variation is not obvious just by looking. My son cannot easily work out which pillar he should use next (made harder as some are made to be two-tier and some are not). You can of course stand the pillars next to one another, but it would have been simple to number them in the order that they are supposed to used to build the default structure. My five year old cannot assemble this set as displayed in the picture on his own, although he has enjoyed building space age layouts using its components.

So, all in all, I'm far from satisfied with this product. It is fine when assembled, if treated carefully, but it is no where near robust enough for its youngest users.

2.0 out of 5 stars breaks easily when played with, 12 Aug. 2009
A. East (UK) - See all my reviews
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Bigjigs Rail BJT050 High Level Track Expansion Pack (Toy)
This kit is great fun but it is difficult to put together and does fall to bits easily. I think you need to be prepared to glue it into place when you first buy it - if you do this it does take up a lot of room when you store it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for my son's battery Brio train, 28 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Bigjigs Rail BJT050 High Level Track Expansion Pack (Toy)
My 2.5 year old son received this for Christmas. We bought it from a store in the High Street, but later I checked the reviews on Amazon and was not impressed. In fact, I was thinking that maybe we should return it and get something else instead. However, I am glad we kept it. It is actually a lot of fun and I don't find it particularly difficult to put together. The first time we set it up was on Christmas Day at my parent's house - to be honest, it was a little precarious and did fall to bits somewhat. I know now, though, that this was because it was set up on carpet - after taking it home and setting it up on floorboards I have found it works perfectly and is pretty stable. My son uses a battery Red Mighty Locomotive Brio train on it, and as long as you set it up properly, it goes up and down with no problems. I don't know how stable it would be if you used the push-along trains with it - I imagine it may get knocked over much more easily then. In my opinion, this toy is much better suited to the battery trains anyway, because otherwise your child would find it more awkward to push the train round the lower level. The battery train is great fun because it speeds down the high hill like a rollercoaster! My son loves this aspect of it the best. I can see from the other reviews that other people have had problems with this toy, but for us it is definitely a fun asset to a train set. I can't see any reason to glue it together if you are using it on a flat, hard surface with a battery train.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, disappointing, 31 Aug. 2012
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Bigjigs Rail BJT050 High Level Track Expansion Pack (Toy)
I normally like Bigjigs accessories but was disappointed with this. It is flimsily made, with uprights being made of plywood which is too weak to support the screws, wood and plastic vertical bits. One bit broke when we were putting the track together for the first time and another has broken after just a few days. The track is also complicated to put together and collapses easily. You can't get a smooth ride on it either. Overall poor.

5.0 out of 5 stars High Level Expansion Set, 2 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Bigjigs Rail BJT050 High Level Track Expansion Pack (Toy)
My first attempt to build this with my son left me wishing I'd paid more heed to the reviews that said it was flimsy, but with a bit of persistence, I discovered that if you wedge the track into the 'teeth' of the support with a little bit of force, it grips beautifully. The resulting construction has been strong enough to move across the room in one piece without falling apart. Admittedly my three-year-old wouldn't be able to assemble it by himself, but with a bit of adult assistance it's perfectly possible to create quite a sturdy spiral from this set and he's loved watching his battery trains going round it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money., 4 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Bigjigs Rail BJT050 High Level Track Expansion Pack (Toy)
Parents - don't bother with this. Wish I had taken more note of the other reviews. I have bought lots of BigJig toys (for wooden railway) and they have all been great and really reasonable compared to Brio and the like. This set however is a real dud, extremely fiddly to assemble and falls apart if you so much as breathe on it. A complete waste of money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Round and round we go..., 27 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Bigjigs Rail BJT050 High Level Track Expansion Pack (Toy)
I bought this for my 3 year old son as part of his Christmas present. It arrived promptly and was well packaged upon arrival so that's always a good start.
My little one loves trains...in particular a certain helpful one and his friends...and he regularly spends lengths of time building track at higher levels eg tables and chairs etc, so he can watch the trains drop off the edge of them, as seen on YouTube, as he seems to find this cause and effect play enjoyable. However this was the only present he received that got a 'wow' when opened it, so we knew we had definitely picked a winner with this product.
As for the actual setting up of, play value and the bigger question, will it withstand my sons 'occasional' heavy handed play style...well I'd say its a big thumbs up. Naturally help was needed to build it but the pieces went together well and the instructions were reasonably easy to follow and although by the end of day my son had managed to deconstruct much of this expansion pack he had a lot of fun whizzing his vast selection of Thomas and chums up and down it and I'd say it is most definitely a winner that would add a lovely dimension to any little persons wooden train track

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing & Frustrating, 8 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Bigjigs Rail BJT050 High Level Track Expansion Pack (Toy)
Having just tried to put this together I came back to read the other reviews and wish I'd done so before ordering. It's very difficult to put together and very flimsy although once you get the hang of jamming the track in to the supports it does hold a little better. However, the track on the climbing sections does not knit together properly and leads to great frustrations when the trains cannot move across. I tried this with my three year old and his big brio battery engine which can make it over the steepest viaduct but it needed a push and much encouragement over the joins. The trains then shoot off the other end and the carriages derail. This had caused tears and frustration (admittedly, the three year old, not me) and we have had to take it down. The supports are flimsy and the instructions not easy to follow. This was a shame as I've been pleased with all the other bigjig items I've bought but this is a real disappointment.

Bigjigs Rail BJT050 High Level Track Expansion Pack