4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable light hearted romcom
"I Could Never Be Your Woman" is an enjoyable romcom that doesn't take itself too seriously and doesn't fall into the heavy mark, leaving no room for depression or reality to really sink into the viewers mind.

Published on 31 Mar 2012 by GratuitousViolets

3.0 out of 5 stars Wanted to like it more than I actually did
I like Michelle Pfeiffer. I like Paul Rudd. I liked Amy Heckerling's writer/director work on'Clueless', and can appreciate a cameo by Wallace Shawn. I was really rooting for this film to be one of those undiscovered gems that didn't really make it big anywhere... until it got to dvd. Sadly, that wasn't to be.

There are lots of very likeable aspects to this...
Published on 26 Nov 2008 by Seren Ade

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable light hearted romcom, 31 Mar 2012
GratuitousViolets "Ash" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: I Could Never Be Your Woman [DVD] (DVD)

The story focuses on a divorced mother, Rosie (Michelle Pfeiffer), a talented screenwriter and executive producer of a sitcom called "You Go Girl", who unfortunately is on the wrong side of forty. Despite moving into middle age, Rosie still dresses like a twenty-something at a fashion show and still plays Barbie with her teenaged daughter Izzie.

Rosie's immaturity is matched by the geeky but cute new star of her show, Adam (Paul Rudd) who is twenty-nine going on twelve. Regardless of the unavoidable age gap, Adam's lightheartedness and shining personality immediately capture Rosie's heart, and without much effort, Adam finds in Rosie a kindred spirit whose age is unimportant and meaningless. The two begin an insane whirlwind romance that will lead Rosie and mother nature questioning the logic of love with a younger man and if it can ever really work out. Meanwhile, Rosie's daughter Izzie begins her ascent into womanhood by falling head over heels in love dramatically over her classmate Dylan.

The soundtrack is uplifting, the sets are bright, colourful and eye-catching and the acting is light (not incredibly fresh - think "Clueless" for reference as the director moved onto this film) and the film in no way falls into serious life altering mind numbing gloom.

A good chick flick for a night in or just a good film to cheer yourself up with. Definitely worth the asking price. You get what you pay for here.

4.0 out of 5 stars Understatedly Funny- A pleasant surprise for a Blockbuster exclusive!, 12 Jun 2008
S. Hammond "bidders86" (Oxfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Could Never Be Your Woman [DVD] (DVD)
'You're not even in your thirties!'
'Well, neither are you...'

I watched this film recently and was a little dubious regarding it not giong to the bign screen, but was really pleasantly surprised by this little gem.

Unsurprisingly, this film has an unmistakeable 'Clueless' feel to it- lots of smart, sassy quips from the writers- you'll know what I mean if you've seen Clueless, not to mention the inclusion of old-timers Paul Rudd and Stacey Dash. Having these two in the same film could have been risky, as the movie could have easily become just a Clueless reunion, but with a very witty and entertaining script, and great entertainment and on-screen chemistry from Rudd and Pfeifer, it succeeds in its own right.

Michelle Pfeifer stars as Rosie, a young at heart, vivacious screen-writer for a teens' tv programme 'You go, Girl!'. She meets Adam (Paul Rudd), when he auditions for a part. Adam is a genuine guy, wildly funny and entertaining, and makes a beeline for Rosie. Rosie, while succumbing to his charm, is ever conscious -thanks to little digs from Mother Nature (Tracy Ullman)- that she is considerably older than him. Adam won't be put off though, and even with the cunning manipulative ploys of Rosie's bitchy secretary to contend with, he's determined to show her that age doesn't really matter when it comes to love. Of course, this genre is always going to appeal to women more than men, but even my boyfriend conceded that it was 'quite good' when I forced him to watch it with me!

I can't praise Paul Rudd enough in this film- he makes the best of an opportunity to be the star, show his incredibly versatility and prove what a very, very funny guy he can be. Pfeifer is lovely, too, genuinely likeable and looking fabulous at forty, it has to be said. Saoirse Ronan (Atonement) turns out an excellent performance as Rosie's daughter Izzy, especially given her British roots. Stacey Dash and Sarah Alexander (from the English show Smack the Pony) also get a lot of laughs for their respective roles.

The only criticisms I made of the whole production was that firstly, I felt the Mother Nature story-line a but unnecessary- and Tracy Ullman's dry wit is ovwershadowed somehwat by Rudd's humour. Also, I thought the name of the film was an odd choice- 'I could never be your woman' is a bit of a mouth-full, and not really on par with waht happens in the movie. Even so, it's still a worthy film, with a great soundtrack to boot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable comedy with a novel approach, 3 Mar 2013
This review is from: I Could Never Be Your Woman [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this mainly out of curiosity - some reviews deem it to be rather excellent, some not so much.

Happily, I can now say I fall into the former camp. Many rom-coms seem to be half-baked, from the same cookie cutter mold. This film, I thought, was actually, and surprisingly different. For a start, it actually has something to say [it manages to simultaneously critique ageism, and social pressure to conform to certain physical standards, whilst also creating a commentary on the inherent ridiculousness in the perpetual pursuit of a youthful ideal].

Secondly, the characters are actually likable. Paul Rudd makes a *far* better romantic lead than the pervasive smarm of Matthew McConaghy, for instance. His character feels genuine, and also genuinely charming: his comedic antics are actually extremely funny without being irritating and implausible [which can be the risk of casting a "funny" leading man, as opposed to merely an objectified six-pack].

Michelle Pfeiffer is very sympathetic, whilst at the same time being gratifyingly feisty [I particularly liked her scene with McKenzie Crook].

Saorise Ronan performs superbly. Many child actors are unconvincing, overly cute, or just generally annoying, but she is definitely an exception to the rule. She not only acts well - she is extremely funny, and her character was actually one of my favourites in the film. Her songs [and again, tween-age girls singing can be a test of endurance] are in fact some of the high points of the movie. Her replaced lyrics to pop songs are spot on: hilarious, biting, and topical.

The only parts of this film I didn't like so much included the "Mother Nature" character - although she did serve a purpose by acting as a satirical riffing point for Pfeiffer's character, I found her somewhat grating at times, and her commentary seemed unnecessarily harsh. However, I think that this ultimately served pretty well as a dramatic device - although I suspect that the theatricality of her chorus-like role might have proved off-putting to some viewers more used to a more familiar formula.

I'd recommend this movie more to women, because the theme of social pressure and superficiality will probably be something with which girls can more greatly identify.

However, that said, my boyfriend was laughing at it when he came downstairs for a few minutes - and that was out of context as well.

This is an very well-written, sarcastic and quirky film which actually has something to say. If you're simply looking for a repeat-formula, out of the box rom-com, it may not be for you. Similarly, if you absolutely detest the genre... well actually, if all your favourite movies are something like Cannibal Holocaust then you probably wouldn't be reading this review in the first place.

But anyway - this is a comedy with a brain, and romance, and distinctiveness. If that sounds appealing to you, then give it a go. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Watch this with your teenage daughter, she'll love it!, 17 Oct 2008
Rachel (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Could Never Be Your Woman [DVD] (DVD)
No great insights admittedly but I really enjoyed this film. It's light hearted with great performances from Michelle Pfeiffer and Paul Rudd and newcomer Saoirse Ronan before she made Atonement. My 13 year old daughter loves this film and really thinks the mum and daughter relationship is cool. It's a chick flick, but a really good one!

3.0 out of 5 stars Wanted to like it more than I actually did, 26 Nov 2008
Seren Ade (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: I Could Never Be Your Woman [DVD] (DVD)

There are lots of very likeable aspects to this film: the performances turned in by Michelle Pfeiffer as 40-something TV writer/producer Rosie and Paul Rudd as the (AHEM!!!) 29-year old comedy actor Adam who attracts her attention, falls for her and creates her a lot of stress in the process. The relationship between Pfeiffer and her screen daughter is also a high point.

'I Could Never Be Your Woman' is both a mature and an immature film, and the actors and Heckerling clearly have fun with this interplay. But at times the audience gets left behind. I truly disliked Tracey Ullman's performance as a bitter, somewhat vengeful 'Mother Nature' and - until the end credits rolled and I realised that the film had been partially made at Pinewood - was highly confused by the influx of British comedians and actors sporting dubious 'American' accents.

Arguably the worst elements of this film, however, are to be found centred around the 'comedy' show "You Go Girl" that Rosie scripts and for which Adam is up for a part. Although it's easy to see why such a show would be up for axing, it's hard to imagine even in a fictional context any good reason for a poor cousin of "Saved By the Bell" ever to have been commissioned.

4.0 out of 5 stars I could never be your woman, 14 May 2014
This review is from: I Could Never Be Your Woman [DVD] (DVD)
This is a very funny,wacky,warm lighthearted film.Paul Rudd is hilarious.Beach boys music,Tracey Ullman a blast from the past,very young film.

3.0 out of 5 stars l could never be your woman, 9 Jan 2014
G. Clarke - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Could Never Be Your Woman [DVD] (DVD)
this more a chick flick .not realy for the guys .but still entertaining in its own way .just for the ladys of the house to relax to in the evenings .

4.0 out of 5 stars I Could Never Be Your Woman [DVD], 1 Dec 2013
This review is from: I Could Never Be Your Woman [DVD] (DVD)
Enjoyable romcom that doesn't take itself too seriously and doesn't fall into the heavy mark, leaving no room for depression or reality to really sink into the viewers mind.

1.0 out of 5 stars I culd never be your Woman, 1 Nov 2013
This review is from: I Could Never Be Your Woman [DVD] (DVD)
Bought it for 1p and we watched it to the end but then chucked it in the bin. The Ugly Truth and Born Romantic are far better chick flics which I bought at the same time

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best, 8 Sep 2013
This review is from: I Could Never Be Your Woman [DVD] (DVD)
The delivery was great but it was the film that didn't please me. I was really excited to see this film considering it had the funny, Paul Rudd starring in the film. However, I didn't like how it was filmed and some scenes in the movie were a little odd.

I Could Never Be Your Woman [DVD]
I Could Never Be Your Woman [DVD] by Amy Heckerling (DVD - 2008)