5.0 out of 5 stars Humans Make Poor Vampire Killers
This new Hellsing anime follows the books much closer than the original series. If you enjoy anime or want a fresh look on vampires in the modern age I highly suggest you give either this anime or the manga series a try.

Published on 17 July 2011 by Ghostninja13

3.0 out of 5 stars "Drink my blood..."
I don't have much knowledge of Hellsing other than having watched a few of the original anime series a few years ago.

Published on 25 Nov. 2008 by @GeekZilla9000

5.0 out of 5 stars Humans Make Poor Vampire Killers, 17 July 2011
This review is from: Hellsing Ultimate Volume 1 [DVD] (DVD)

The action is fast paced and fluid with plenty of blood and gore, which is to be expected. If you find the current portrayal of Vampires in other media a little wimpy you'll defiantly love them in Hellsing. Alucard in particular is a very cool yet still vicious and at times monstrous vampire who just comes across as a complete badass.

The soundtrack for this series is stellar, a mix of traditional orchestral scores with dark electronic rhythms, the tracks create perfecting backing for the over top fights (a prime example being Alucard and Andersons first meeting). The animation quality is top notch; it's sharp and has a wonderful style to it. The art is vivid and the colours pop to create some beautiful art and animation despite the dark and bloody content of said animation.

Story wise it's a contemporary look at the classic Vampire hunter story with a bit of a twist, following what would have happened to Dracula after he was supposedly killed by Van Hellsing when in reality he ended up serving the Hellsing family as Alucard. The story follows an overarching story that becomes more apparent in later episodes but this first volume serves as more of an introduction to the characters, setting etc.

Speaking of characters they all hold up well, Seras and a few others bring some welcome humour to the mix and we see her grow throughout the series from a scared police girl as she is in the first volume. Integra is one of my favourite characters we see many different sides of her throughout the series and she is overall a very interesting character.

In conclusion if you like anime or Vampires and fancy something thats fast, bloody and beautiful to look at you should give Hellsing a look, even if you don't want to watch it I would highly recommend the manga series as well just for the compelling story and characters.

3.0 out of 5 stars "Drink my blood...", 25 Nov. 2008
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

This revamped version certainly looks a lot better than the original. It might be pretty dark but we get lots of details and some very slick animation. The 5.1 sound is pin sharp and is an acoustic treat which compliments the action scenes - and there are plenty of those ...with plenty of splattering.

Although there's lots of gore and violence, this isn't a mindless series. This is as much a series of politics and religion as it is a vampire story. With references to the Vatican, Protestantism, and soldiers of God - it's clear that this has the potential to become something more than just a slash 'em up.

If you're a fan of the original manga series, or the other anime series, then I'm sure that you'll love this as you'll already know the characters.

However - if you're new to this, then this introduction to the Hellsing Ultimate contains little plot and the characters don't feel very developed. I'm sure that as the series progresses the characters will gain more depth, but the first volume just feels a bit flat.

The voice acting in the English dub is overall pretty good, but Integra Hellsing always sounds a bit bored! I always prefer to listen to the original language soundtrack through, and in this case if you stick to the Japanese soundtrack with subtitles the series has a bit more life.

In a nutshell: Series such as Guyver - The Bioboosted Armour Vol.1 [2007] have breathed new life and energy into some modern classic series. This tries to do the same, and though Hellsing Ultimate does give a great snazzy new look to Hellsing whilst remaining true to what has already been established, it relies too much on the audience knowing the characters in order to actually feel anything for them.

2.0 out of 5 stars Blundering start to a good series, 6 May 2013
This review is from: Hellsing Ultimate Volume 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Several years back I chewed my way through the original Hellsing anime and enjoyed it. I read some of the manga afterwards which I enjoyed, but hadn't managed to get round to Hellsing Ultimate until recently when I bought the first four volumes on the cheap.

For the confused, Hellsing Ultimate is not a continuation of the original anime, but a reboot that follows closer to the manga plot line. You don't need to be aware of the original anime or manga to enjoy this. Each volume consists of one OVA at just under an hour.

The plot of Hellsing revolves around the Hellsing Organisation - an organisation devoted to protecting the country from vampires and the undead. Alucard, a vampire who works under the organisation, is called out to eradicate a vampire priest. A police officer, Seras Victoria, is fatally injured in the process of Alucard attempting to bring the vampire down. He gives her a choice: die as a human, or live as a vampire. She chooses to live and, by doing so, becomes Alucard's servant and the newest member of the Hellsing Organisation.

Plot isn't an issue. It's the same gripping start that the anime and manga uses. Seras Victoria's turning acts as a good device for the audience to be introduced to the world of Hellsing, but the problem with this first volume is everything moves too fast. We don't really get a feel for Seras honing her new abilities, or attempting to adjust to her new lifestyle. There are moments here and there, but she seems to get over it so fast that it's irrelevant.

And whilst the plot itself isn't an issue, the amount of it that we get is. This one fifty minute volume covers the first three episodes of the original anime, and it feels exactly as if three episodes were jammed together, rushing through each one without giving us enough time to identify with the characters. The arc that should have brought the entire thing together - Seras joining Hellsing - is rushed over so briefly that the episode feels less like an entire piece and more like some sort of spliced together 'best of' moments. By the end of the first volume, we don't really care for Seras or Alucard, they are merely figures carrying out their assigned roles.

The English dubbing is abysmal. I'm not normally one of these people who is fussed and I'll happily watch pretty much anything in English, but as soon as Integra (leader of Hellsing) came on, I immediately switched to Japanese. The accent is so painfully stereotypically British that by the time I managed to find the remote, I had already made several cups of tea and consumed a couple of scones. To further add insult, she constantly sounds bored. She's not the only one either. It's a shame as there are a few characters that were voiced well enough, but the rest dragged it down too far for me to want to put up with it.

Whilst this review may seem pretty negative, I want to follow it up with a good note. As I had already bought the first four volumes, I decided to give the second volume a whirl just to see if it gets any better. Good news: it does. The pacing of the second volumes feels much better and the characters feel more genuine. I can only presume this volume feels so rushed due to the creators not wanting to spend too much time treading over ground that has previous been covered by the original anime.

So on the whole, this particular volume isn't all that great, but don't let that deter you from the entire series if it sounds like something you would enjoy. From the strength of the second volume I'll be continuing on and enjoying the series, but I'll probably never revisit this particular episode, as it appears to exist purely to set the scene.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great reimagining of the vampire story, 22 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Hellsing Ultimate Volume 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I'd recommend this vampire story to anyone into anime, bored with mainstream 'vampires', or looking for an accessible anime. Without too much fanservice(it's no ikki tousenIkki Tousen: Complete Box Set (4pc) (Full Sub) [DVD] [2005] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]) but a body count to put Total Recall to shame and enough blood to paint Manchester cathedral red.
The whole production is pretty subdued with the Japanese quirkiness just putting the laughter into slaughter.

The art style is incredible. Very sharp lines, bold colours and visceral images. Nice little touches like depth of field applied where appropriate.

The characters fit their archetypes neatly without being caricatures and are more closely examined in the manga.
I'm normally a stickler for original voice actors but the American/English cast did a very good job. None of it sounded phoned in. The care with sound effects was nice(mewling babies)

Two negatives:,
1) With my copy, the interview with the voice of Alucard cuts out 2/3 way through.Maybe that's just mine.
2) Funimation didn't finish localising all of the OVAs so there are only 4 out of 7 as region 2

4.0 out of 5 stars Mangatastic, 24 Nov. 2008
Charles Vasey (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the first (hour long) episode of a series concerning the anti-vampire activities of the Hellsing organisation run by the descendants of the original foe of Dracula. There is something nasty abroad in Britain (or what passes for Britain in Manga films) with a number of possibly diversionary vampire attacks. Helsing, led by a female descendant rather confusingly referred to as Sir, is the possessor of a seemingly invincible super-vampire, Alucard, but its path crosses that of a Vatican-controlled vampire hunting group. That's plenty of enemies for one episode. Lots of blood, gore and combat scenes. The only criticism is that the plot jumps about a bit which can lead to head scratching. We did also wonder what was the key weakness of Alucard because without one it is going to be a long series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stylish gothic anime gore-fest, 27 Nov. 2008
Cartimand (Hampshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This 'ultimate OVA' was my first introduction to the Hellsing anime. The 18 rating and dramatic cover picture pretty well warn you of what's to come. It's pretty gruesome sure - on a par with say Elfen leid, but it is also very stylish and remarkably entertaining. Obviously the gothic subject matter has dictated the style - we have many close-up shots of disturbing teeth, eyes, gun barrels and swords, and the main characters are drawn in that impossibly elongated manner to add to the dramatic effect. It's not all grim though - there is some humour embedded within, mainly courtesy of the splendid character "police girl" who is a reluctant vampire struggling with what she has become. The main character is, of course "Alucard" or "Arucard" as he appears on the credits (it always amazed me how even Bela Lugosi got away with that feeble anagram nom-de-guerre). He's an interesting and slightly ambiguous character and you're never quite sure whether he's 'batting' (sorry about the pun!) for good or for evil. The utterly bizarre genetically engineered Vatican special agent also falls into this category. There's certainly a lot going on in the 40 minutes or so of the main feature! The DVD is also furnished with a decent quota of extras, including a fascinating interview with the voice actors. For once, the English accents actually do sound authentic!

So, to summarise, if you can stomach the gore, this is a lot of fun. Shame it's over so quickly though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Item, 28 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Hellsing Ultimate Volume 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Truth to be told, this series is far better than the original one; not only does Hellsing Ultimate follow the storyline much closer and in a better way, it also uses a different style as well as different colouring, which I personally find better than the original series.

Compared to the original, Hellsing Ultimate still holds Mr. Kouta's original drawings; the funny faces and the slight bit of humour too. Whereas the other had next to no humour. I won't say the other is bad, but Ultimate is definitely my favourite.

I think this series is way more bloody and gory than its, so-called, predecessor and feeds my hunger for dangerous vampire-anime in great ways.

Realize this DVD only holds 1 episode, ca. 52 min. - I personally thought it'd hold more, since the back shows a picture of Jann and Luke Valentine, however they did not appear in the first episode, hence a tad misleading. Also the subs has translated Alucard's name to "Arucard" instead, but those are minor details that I can live with. The price was as reasonable as could be, so I've got no complaints really.

The DVD arrived quickly and I must say I was rather bedazzled by the cover art, it does remind you of the manga in stronger ways than the original series. I'll gladly recommend this to any Hellsing fan out there! I hope The Dawn will come out on DVD soon, I know I'm gonna purchase the other DVDs too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great vampire anime, 24 Nov. 2008
T. R. Alexander (East Anglia, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the second anime based on the Hellsing manga and while I feel that it does improve on its predecessor in many ways this OVA is not without its own faults. The first Hellsing series, despite its infamously terrible English dub and its deviation from the manga is one of my favourite anime series so I was interested as to how this new version would do and I feel that while it definitely has potential this first instalment is yet to get into its stride.

This OVA has far superior animation to the previous series and although I have jet to get round to reading the manga that it is based on I understand that this is far closer to it than its predecessor. As well as the improved animation this version of Hellsing is most probably far gorier than its predecessor with this version earning its 18 certificate compared to the 15 of the original series.

On the downside the English dub is still rather grating to the ears in places even if it is a slight improvement on the last one. As well as this I feel that so far this anime has been going a bit too quickly for my liking, moving from set peace to set piece with very little down time and the events between missions that the previous series demonstrated.

Overall as this new series of OVAs continues I am sure that it will surpass its predecessor bat at present it doesn't quite make it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for horror genre fans and Anime alike, 8 Nov. 2011
SlayerKat "Geek Mum" (East Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I thoroughly enjoyed this retelling of the vampire lore with anime twist. I'm a massive fan of vampire mythology but not a huge watcher of anime (although I do appreciate the Studio Gibli films) but I had to give this series a watch to see what it was like. Fortunately it was highly entertaining. There is a new twist on the vampire lore (I won't give spoilers) and the storyline and background are intriguing. The cartoon and cinematography is pretty impressive. As a relative newcomer to Manga I can only liken it to watching a cartoon comic book come to life. Some of the "action" sequences are actually quite still but this seems to work. Hellsing really reminded me of Legend of the Overfiend which I saw a few years ago. The styling is similar. As this is rated 18 it's definitely not one for the kids. I did think how bad can a cartoon be to make it justifiable as an 18 but Hellsing is quite gruesome and sexually explicit. The only other comment I can make is that the English translation is quite funny. The version I saw was set in England and did make me chuckle a bit as our police officers do not dress like they do in Hellsing! Anyway, putting that little inaccuracies aside, it's still very watchable and I would find myself watching it again, sharing it with my friends and seeking out further installments.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 10 Dec. 2008
ziggy_fan (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I wasn't big into manga, especially since the last one I tried to watch was quite substandard in terms of plot and graphics. However, something about this one caught my eye, and I gave it a try. I was surprised how good it was, and found myself drawn into the story and enjoyed the graphic art and the the general flow of the images. Great colours and vivid artwork. Plot-wise it is an interesting take on the vampire killer genre. Looking forward to the next instalment.

Hellsing Ultimate Volume 1 [DVD]
Hellsing Ultimate Volume 1 [DVD] by Tomokazu Tokoro (DVD - 2008)