4.0 out of 5 stars 2014 New Review
This is a quite old model from Asus. There are plenty reviews already, but I thought it is fair to write a new one since the software has changed a lot and a good summary maybe more helpful.

The goodness of the Asus Xonar DX:
Published 16 months ago by Ding Ding Shi

3.0 out of 5 stars Asustek Xonar DX/XD PCI-E Low Profile Sound Card
Excellent build quality with the exclusion of the 4-pin connector (I had to "crush" the female end of the contacts on the 4-pin connector to allow the contact to be enough so the card to actually work).

The Asus software works but should be more user-friendly and informative.

Product looks great and the jacks on the back of the card are very...
Published 18 months ago by Daryl Marchbank

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars 2014 New Review, 2 Jan. 2014
Ding Ding Shi "D.D" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asustek Xonar DX/XD PCI-E Low Profile Sound Card (Personal Computers)

The goodness of the Asus Xonar DX:
1. It is a low profile card. For full/mid tower, it creates very little blockage of airflow which is good for most gamers. Especially good for the people running SLi/XFire. And it will fit a slim case using the adaptor provided.
2. The sound quality is well worth the price. You probably won't be able to find a second card does such a good job of punching the low and crystal the high. Many of the cards in the price bracket of 80-100 pounds can't even beat this card.
3. Surround, it indeed lacks of true support of EAX5.0, THX cert etc. But in games and movies, the Dolby Digital surround with this card does a pretty job. As a few reviewer called it out, you probably won't feel any difference. With the price tag in mind, this is probably much more worthy than getting a creative card.

The badness of Xonar DX:
1. The card came with a CD driver, which is very out dated. The asus website isn't doing a very good job helping you download the latest driver. From the support page the Xonar DX page will return you Error. You'll need to go to the download page or product page to get the latest driver.
2. Front Audio jack is not auto detectable. To use the front audio you need to manually select the output in the control center. Which can be quite painful as it takes a good few click to get to.
3. Volume control doesn't work from the Asus software. Every other feature worked, just not the volume control.

The arguable aspects:
1. Although Asus declares the external power supply requirement is for the good of the getting cleaner power source, which I totally agree its necessity, but in conflict there is no static isolation cover for the card (D2X has the cover, but the price is double to triple of DX). There you can argue why not draw the power from the PCIe slot. I suppose one improvement is better than none. Some may think if it's not perfect, why not simplify it for easier usage.
2. Software, it's vastly improved. The driver works. I pretty much don't care about anything else. But do call it out, that the driver software is not the best. It looks old and designed in the old fasion of how UI should be. Buttom line, it works. Just don't expect any enjoyable experience configuring it. P.S, I'm using WIN7-64bit.

Overall it's a balanced card for music, movies and gaming. Not like the Creative cards, they are more for the gamers with little improvement to the music experience. The price tag is almost the same as the Sound Blaster Z OEM. It is the balance for all audio needs Xonar provides ultimately influenced my decision to choose this card.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some technical skills required..., 11 Dec. 2012
I'd bought a decent set headphones and thought they sounded a bit 'woolly' with the onboard VIA sound chip that came with my ASUS motherboard.

After doing a round of Internet reviews, I settled on the Asus Xonar DX as an attractively priced sound card where the sound quality was compared to products costing far more. A review at techreport.com from 2008 was the best review I found (it's old but sound card technology improves at a much slower pace).

From reading the user reviews however, it became apparent that many people were having technical difficulties installing the card so I made sure I was well prepared before starting the installation:

1. Disable onboard sound

To avoid conflicts, it is good practice to disable the onboard sound first. To do this, boot into the operating system and remove all the existing audio software especially the driver/codec.

Reboot the computer into BIOS setup and disable the onboard sound (on my ASUS motherboard, this was called 'HDA' for High Definition Audio).

Boot into the operating system to check that no sound components are discovered (if all is well, the loudspeaker icon on the task bar will have a red cross over it).

Shutdown the computer.

2. Physical Installation

The card has a PCIe x1 connector which is very short and therefore it's easy to pull the card out of the socket when tightening the screw holding the adapter plate. On my installation I found that it helped to loosen the two small screws securing the adapter plate to the card and gently pulling the top of the adapter plate away from the card before re-tightening the screws. This helped the adapter seat better in the socket.

To provide the Xonar with clean power, the card requires a four pin power connector normally used to power a floppy disk drive. Fortunately the card comes with an 4" long adapter cable that lets you use a regular molex power connector from a IDE hard disk drive. Make sure you have a spare molex that can reach the sound card before starting.

3. Drivers
Don't use the ASUS CD supplied with the card!

Boot into the operating system, cancel any driver installation instigated by Windows. In device manager check that the sound card has been discovered (it will have a yellow exclamation mark against it).

I downloaded third party drivers created by someone called 'Daniel K', these are highly recommended and easy to find on his blog site.

I ran the simple installer and rebooted when prompted (the Xonar made some 'clicking' noises during the installation which is normal). Once the reboot has completed you should now have a Xonar icon in the system tray and the red cross over the loudspeaker icon will have disappeared.

The installation is now complete.

Using the Xonar, I immediately noticed the difference in quality to the onboard sound using my Shure SRH440 headphones. The sound was noticeably more detailed and there was no 'hiss' at higher volume levels. There are lots of sound processing controls on the control panel which allow you to configure the sound to your personal taste.

I think the quality difference more than justifies the cost and makes this card great value for money. If you are using low quality headphones or speakers however, you might struggle to notice a difference in quality over onboard sound.

I've given the card 5 stars because I had a trouble free installation thanks to prior research. I can see why people could easily come unstuck during the installation and give lower scores. It seems incredible that the manufacturer doesn't supply decent drivers for their own product but thanks to the efforts of some generous people this doesn't cause a problem. ASUS are not alone in producing poor quality drivers for audio hardware btw.

I'll update when I've gained more experience of the card.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth it, 4 Nov. 2013
The sound from my onboard ALC887 card coupled with a relatively cheap Panasonic 5.1 surround sound was grand for music but absolutely appalling for movies. I wasn't sure which was to blame. I read all the forums, all the blogs. Still couldn't pin which was at fault. So after humming and hawing eventually decided to take the plunge. I'm glad to report it was definitely worth it. The card comes with an adaptor for optical input/TOSLINK and a standard aux cable. I'm using the adapter with optical input to great success. Also it was recommended to use a different set of driver which I downloaded and installed with no problems, without looking at drivers in box. The ASUS drivers are apparently quite dodgy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound At A Great Price. Perfectly Easy Installation!, 23 July 2011
Mr. T. White (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I've always had one of the creative Live/X-Fi series, and frankly there was always something a bit uninspired about Creative's sound quality. This Asus Xonar DX is anything but uninspired - with bright, open ly transparent definition and exceptional range of sound and a lively expansive sound-stage. It's almost as if Creative were sleeping on the job and Asus noticed there was a gap in the market for remarkably brilliant sound quality at an affordable price. And thus the Xonar DX, & its siblings were born.

Installation was an utter breeze: a joy in itself even! The fact that it needed its own power lead was absolutely ease in itself to do - I simply connected the spare floppy power lead from my psu to the case into the Xonar DX after sitting it into the PCI-Express slot, then I closed the case, installed the drivers and was 100% good to go. Anyone who complains about having to put the spare power wire into this Xonar DX is really raising an issue about nothing! It took just three seconds to attach the spare floppy wire into the Xonar DX. Honestly... you just can't please all the people all the time, no matter what.

Since buying it I've also (like some other reviewers) spent countless hours re-listening to music in my collection and even was able to discern the odd lyric which was formally obscured by Creative's lacklustre soundstage. All that I'm left regretting was that I'd not purchased this DX sooner. I mostly use it with Grado headphones which perfectly complement the quality of sound on offer here. Creative deserve a good 'boot up their roots' for not giving people the best quality sound while letting the competitors in to do just that. Please do give Asus the business for bravely seizing the opportunity to give us what we consumers want: great sound at a great price! Full marks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Problematic Drivers but third-party works great!, 8 Aug. 2013
The most finicky, least updated official drivers on the planet, however there is an alternative, community driven third-party equivalent based off the same drivers that is a "post-periodically" updated and actually improves on the original drivers in every way, dramatically lowering latency and fixing bugs in the process.

They can be found here:
[...]

When using these drivers the card shines bright. The only niggle I would have is that stereo up-mixing is still so-so and the front panel most be enabled and disabled through a batch file in order to use them. Other than that they are great for Traktor DJing, casually listening to music and gaming. Currently have mine hooked up to Dell 5.1 speakers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Asustek Xonar DX/XD PCI-E Low Profile Sound Card, 7 Nov. 2013

The Asus software works but should be more user-friendly and informative.

Product looks great and the jacks on the back of the card are very durable and feel extremely solid (look fantastic too).

Assume this product as 5 stars if you don't mind the potential of having to play around with the 4-pin contacts to get the card working.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good sound, poor installation, 2 April 2010
Christopher Reay (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
I bought this sound card because I found the onboard sound on my Gigabyte EX58-UD3R motherboard, whilst being fairly clear, was not loud enough in some of the games I was playing and lacked punch. I searched the internet and this seems to be a problem associated with using the Windows 7 operating system rather than the integrated sound chip according to many posters. I already have a Creative X-Fi Soundblaster Xtreme Gamer sound card but can't use it with this motherboard. Unfortunately I use two graphics cards and the PCI slot I would have to use for the Soundblaster is so close to the PCI-E x16 slot for my lower graphics card that the sound card obstructed the graphics card cooling too much for safety. I bought this Xonar DX card because it fits into a PCI-E x1 slot I have available without blocking anything. Apparently it also works in PCI-E x4 and x16 slots if you have one of those spare also.

I didn't use the drivers on the disc supplied but downloaded the Windows 7 specific drivers from the Asus website (only about 13MB).The good news with this card is that it sounds superbly clear, can go very loud without additional amplification and has an easy to use control panel. I normally play games while listening to headphones and all I had to do was select Dolby headphones, the game mode (which is a preset that changes a few frequencies), and set the volume in the mixer to maximum (I control volume using a dial on my Logitech G11 keyboard) and I was away. The sound quality is slightly better than the Creative card (which was petty good). The sniper rifle in Far Cry 2 for example sounded very sharp with a slight echo whilst the Uzi sounded beautifully staccato. For older games there is a DS3D switch which seems to replicate the EAX effect that Alchemy does for Creative cards.

The bad news about the card and the reason I only give it thee stars is the set up is pathetic. I read a review of this card in Custom PC and neither this nor Amazon's product details made it clear the card needs additional power. This seems ridiculous given that some mid-range graphics cards are now able to run on the power from the motherboard alone. This is just hassle and clutters up the case further. Anyway you need a spare lead from your power supply with a Molex connector on the end. This plugs into the supplied floppy 4-pin connector which fits into the back of the card. If you havn't got a spare lead on your psu this card will not work. When I installed the card it wouldn't work initially and I kept getting a message saying the card wasn't plugged in (which it was). I did an internet search and found this was a common problem. It seems the connection on the card is badly designed and the 4-pin connector doesn't fit properly. The plug snaps in quite reassuringly but there is far too much play on it and it doesn't take much to lose the electrical connection. This is completely unacceptable on what is supposed to be a high quality electronic product and I am very surprised at Asus who normally excel in quality design. One chap on the web has resorted to bending the pins on the card to get a tighter fit whilst another has resorted to sellotape - ridiculous! I very nearly sent the card back for a refund but eventually got it to work by rerouting the cable through a higher entry point to the motherboard tray (I have an Antec 1200 case where you route cables behind the motherboard tray). This meant gravity was not pulling on the cable so the connection was secure.

In summary this is an extremely good sound card for pc gaming (I can't comment on other uses) with excellent vibrant sound and plenty of grunt. It is also very good value for money given its high specification and very low noise level. If you have a spare molex power cable on your power supply and are prepared to fiddle about with the connection to get it working it is well worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recomended for vista, 5 Jan. 2009
W. Islam "Wali" (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
Creative have had many problems with their vista drivers and some still manage to have problems. I upgraded from an onbaord Realtek ACL888 to this which is the same as the D1 just slot differences. The major difference was noticed during games crisp clear voices and sounds. Music had more definition than usual no more muddled bass lines. It is currently ran by vista x64 ultimate, and they run Logitech's Z-5500. All i can say is that they do the job exceptionally well and perhaps better than some of the other pricey soundcards out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING QUALITY - Why pay more?, 2 Oct. 2014
I bought this as I aspire to become a professional gamer (I play League of Legends and a few different FPS games). Playing at a competitive level means that the small details such as the sound of footsteps really do matter as they help you to determine where the enemy is.

I've paired this card with my Astro A50 headphones and now it is like I'm actually there!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sound quality and lots of options to tailor the ..., 18 Feb. 2015
Good sound quality and lots of options to tailor the sound within the control panel. The only complaint was mine had a fault on the line in. It did not really matter though, since I also use a Juli@ soundcard for my DAW, so the line in was unnecessary. The option for Dolby rooms, environments and karaoke settings provide a lot of individual adaptations.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›