5.0 out of 5 stars Survival Horror at its absolute BEST!!
The premise of Dead Space might seem, to some, very cliched. Big spaceship, overrun with aliens and lots of gore. Aliens, Event Horizon, Doom, etc, etc, all spring to mind when trying to explain the game.
But you'd be wrong to think this was anything else but brilliance!
This game has taken the best of the hard sci-fi horror genre and crafted it into a...
Published on 25 Oct 2008 by Mr. M. Osborne

3.0 out of 5 stars Dead Space
Dead Space is a game that is exactly what it says on the tin , a shooter/horror that is set in the deepest reaches of space where , as the player you will have to perform specific tasks in order to reach your objective , whilst fending off the stuff of nightmares that stalk you and try to hunt you down. What I like about this game is that when you are presented with...
Published 23 months ago by Chaines1991

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars quality horror, 30 Jan 2010
This review is from: Dead Space (PS3) (Video Game)
this is a must have for every PS3 owner. you are exploring a damaged ship out in deep space - a well worn plot but in this case done very well. the game majors on tension introduced through sound, light and atmospherics. you'll be moving along and hear a metal object clanging onto the floor having been moved by 'something out there'! the atmospherics are dark, shadowy and industrial. some areas are smokey, others dusty. attention to detail is great. the use of light and shadow is superb and adds greatly to the tension when you start wondering whether you've seen something or not. all controls, from game objectives to ammo & life are in-game making the whole experience more immersive, eg your life bar appears as 4 light bars on your spine. the monster designs themselves are ok - mixture of human & monster making them quite scary. the pace they move at you is the horrific part (although you'll soon learn to use kenesis and slow down events). the game also stands out from the crowd by requiring you to shoot off the limbs of the monsters in order to kill them, making exchanges quite tactical and avoiding the whole 'nuff button mashing. the disagreements between your colleagues who crashed with you also adds to the tension given that they cant agree on how to run the show! in short, the best horrors are those that allow you to do the work by playing on what's not there. if you're as mad as i am on the Aliens films (particularaly the first) you will appreciate this game

5.0 out of 5 stars Nerves of Steel, 2 Mar 2009
Andries J. Hough "Sunray" (Cape Town, South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Space (PS3) (Video Game)
I bought this game having read no reviews at all. I was a bit overwhelmed after I started playing. The controls are quite tricky - and this proved fatal within the first few minutes of the game as I was killed repeatedly. A word of advice - sort our your movements and get familiar with the controls before you enter the Ishimura.
This game is absolutely fantastic. It will scare the living daylights out of you - whether day or night. The visuals are brilliant and the sound effects will make your skin crawl. You really feel that you are lost, abandoned and alone in space in a ship infested by deformed humans and other not so human. It builds tension to the extent that I have to pause the game and take a break. This game gives the word 'interactive' new meaning. I forgot about everything around me and was immersed from the very beginning. Everything about this game is awesome. Whether or not you are a fan of survival horror, or not, this game will be a worthwhile addition to your collection. There is not a very big selection of PS3 games to choose from at the moment (good ones), but this is truly outstanding and I cannot recommend it high enough.
Order without delay!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic game!, 22 Jan 2009
Mr. Ali Aziz - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Space (PS3) (Video Game)
Having so far completed the first seven chapters(there are 12 in total) of this game, and loving every moment, I can safely urge anyone pondering whether to purchase it, go ahead! The gameplay is addictive, absorbing, intense, and great fun! Weapons are superb with upgrades and new items available via a 'store' and 'work bench' throughout the game. The visuals are astonishing in places with stunning graphics in general, and the sound is probably the best I've heard yet in a game. I can only repeat what other reviewers have said, that is to play this game alone at night, lights off and sound turned up for maximum effect! One reviewer said something about the game being 'too dark'. This is nonsense! Sure, some areas are dark but not so it affects the gameplay. Maybe it's time for him to buy a new tv set! Besides, the game has an option to adjust the brightness to your liking at any time. So sci-fi and horror fans, buy and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars A "dead space" in name alone, 27 Oct 2008
This review is from: Dead Space (PS3) (Video Game)
For the past few years, I have used the term "dead space" to mean "an unloved game or movie on my shelf taking up space". It is then with great humility that I must now refrain from using the term in this way, as it has now been reclaimed by the this game's developers to mean "artfully produced sci-fi survival horror game".

As with many of the best games ever created, not one element attempts to sell the concept on its own. It is the marriage of these elements that makes the product greater than its sum.

Does it move right? Yes. Nothing "to get to used to" at any rate.

Does it look good? Yes. At times, jaw dropping.

Good use of physics? Think about that scene in Event Horizon when they first board the ship. To wit: Vivid.

Is the enemy AI up to scratch? Pretty much.

Are the weapons any good? Oh yes. Upgradable power tools? Please...:-)

Is the story worth following? For sure.

The game's use of sound is actually the best I've ever heard. I've got a 5.1 Dolby/DTS surround system at home, and this is the first game I've played that actually exploits its capabilities properly. When I first got this game I turned all the lights off and sat on the floor of my lounge staring at my 32" LCD. After an hour I heard a spanner drop onto the floor behind me, and I swear, I thought someone had broken in through the window.

The point is, whether you'll find it scary or not (most will I'm sure), the overall experience is bordering on magical, and the only way to see this magic is by playing through the game yourself.

Superb stuff.

PS. Those with a heart condition or nervous disposition should stay well away.

5.0 out of 5 stars in your lounge, no one can hear u scream!, 3 Dec 2008
This review is from: Dead Space (PS3) (Video Game)
I have nt enjoyed a game this much for ages. No dodgy cut scenes, no messing, just straight into this nasty, scary world. Great sound, shocks and visuals makes this one of the most atmospheric games ever. You never really get accustomed to the scares. Even in the later levels theres some real spine chilling moments.

The difficulty level is about right though can be hard in places. Expect a lot of deaths / replays to get through some parts as some of the fight scenes are brutal. This means you have to be smart how you use your weapons, also don't expect unlimited ammo - this all makes for a great challenge that just gets stronger the deeper you get in to it.

Have been some great games this year but this is my personal fav, challenging, atmospheric and very nasty - well done EA!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lives up to the hype, 20 Oct 2008
This review is from: Dead Space (PS3) (Video Game)
After receiving this on import at the weekend I can honestly say that it is well worth the purchase.
Essentially the story revolves around a rescue mission to a ship seemingly abandoned, after finding a mysterious monlith called a marker.
The backstory is available in 6 downloadable 'comics' which build the suspense and tension.
Regarding the game itself. Basically a cross between Event Horizon and Aliens but with Resi Evil 4 controls (although it reminds me a lot of the first Dino Crisis), the game is set aboard the SSS Ishimura, with you an engineer attempting to survive the horror.
The graphics are superb, incredibly detailed with gorgeous lighting effects. The sound builds the tension as you hear the cries of the crew and roars of the aliens.
The weapons are all futuristic cutting tools and are used to dissect the aliens. The aliens themselves spring from dark nooks and crannies. You know they're there, you know they're coming but still it makes you jump.
Suffice to say if you like games which are brimming with tension and keep you on edge I would highly recommend.
It is incredibly gory so bear that in mind if you are squeemish.
On the downside the controls do feel a little clunky. This is possibly a design choice as you are only an engineer not a trained marine, but bearing in mind the speed of the aliens, sometimes you can be overwhelmed.
As mentioned in a previous review there is indeed no HUD as the whole point of the game is to immerse you. It is also not possible to access the inventory whilst paused - again to increase the tension.
Overall the game works very well and judging by how well it has sold in the US will surely be the start of a new franchise.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still worth a play, 1 Mar 2014
This review is from: Dead Space (PS3) (Video Game)
Six years later, Dead Space is still worth a blast through though not if you're squeamish. Graphics, story (though a little predictable) and gameplay mechanics still hold up despite some annoying problems such as in anti-gravity areas where the system is very finicky about where you can jump and the absence of an evade command (although this helps the fear factor). Sometimes dark areas make it very hard to see the enemies and even though this is deliberate it can be a tad frustrating. As other reviewers have pointed out, the sound design on this game is quite extraordinary and increases tension levels but despite the horror factor this game is really only manageable if you're fairly impervious to organic monstrosities, which this game provides in plenty (in fact they reminded me a great deal of the Thing monstrosities in the PS2 game of the same name which was a sequel to the movie). Having played through the game once (and once it will remain) that is what I will remember with most glee from my twelve or so hours in the world of Dead Space, i.e. the disgusting necromorphs in their various shapes and sizes and the satisfaction that comes from cutting their limbs off one by one. Minor puzzle sections also add some variety to the game and to the game's credit the pacing is exceedingly well judged with intense sections carefully intersperced with quiet though eery sections.

Recommended. Four stars (I like it).

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to Dead Space after DS2 and DS3, 18 April 2013
S. Haddow - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Dead Space (PS3) (Video Game)
Wow. After playing through DS3 and enjoying it, I decided to load DS1 and play the unlocked DS+ game with my pimped out suit and weaponry power noded to the max. However I couldn't find the option to do that so I started a new game. It struck me very quickly how different an experience this was to DS3 and even DS2. It's a very lonely and tense game. My plasma cutter took three shots to bring a necromorph to it's knees. Suddenly I had to aim and conserve ammo. I quickly grew to dread the crawling ones with the big tails. And the one that won't die really had me nervous. I became attuned to the music again - hearing clues that something bad was coming. My suit had only 8 inventory slots. I had 30 seconds of air and then remembered that awful gasping sound as it ran out. My favourite bit still remains the level on the Ishimura bridge, with the hollow booming of asteroids battering the hull. Of course it's a game not without flaws - the occasional recycling of levels for different missions and the constant doubling back do make the game feel like it's slowing down sometimes. I do miss Isaac Clarke talking in cutscenes, that's something I feel they got right in DS2 and DS3 and it's strange to upgrade a suit without that flourish of music. Zero G is also clunky and limited compared to the later games. However the thing - I now realise - that DS 2 and 3 don't have, that DS1 has in spades, is the adrenaline that always kept me away from playing it too late at night in case I got too pumped to sleep. The constant sense that resources are scarce and that if you misjudge you'll die just make it more scary. And the music is much more sinister and dark - less like a big budget movie. Cut scenes are also very scarce and really amount to no more than your camera being temporarily locked in one place to let you see something. In DS2 and 3 I tended to avoid the audio logs and video logs - they were too cheesy and destroyed the atmosphere, however I picked some up out of curiosity in DS1 and they are pretty good. DS1 also understands the fear factor that darkness brings - there are moments where you can't see much at all as lights flicker and go out. I'd also forgotten how reassuring it was to reach the tram station at the end of a level - with the high pitched string music that sounds like the sqeal of brakes from a distant train. I'm getting a bit carried away I know, but I'd forgotten how good this game is, thinking it had been superceded by 2 and 3, when in fact the reverse is true. DS 2 and 3 are great games, absolutely carried me along, but although they had well timed jump moments, there were very few moments - and to be fair no moments in DS3 - that I had a real sense of dread. I also love all the various signs and posters dotted around the Ishimura - they feel completely authentic - as does the Ishimura itself, it feels like a real mining ship. I could go on. This game will absolutely suck you in. My favourite game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dead Space, 27 Mar 2012
This review is from: Dead Space (PS3) (Video Game)
This is my second purchase of this game, so that alone tells you that it's a good solid game and one for going back to time and time again, (my original got lost in a move of house)

5.0 out of 5 stars Dead Space, 8 Jan 2012
Mr. Philip N. Dunning (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Space (PS3) (Video Game)
Fantastic game, a must buy for survival horror fans. The background noises and general atmosphere are just awesome. Best to play in a dark room through a decent stereo, so you can scare the crap out of yourself. Time to complete on normal difficulty about 7-9 hours.

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›

Dead Space (PS3)
Dead Space (PS3) by Electronic Arts (PlayStation 3)
15.98