5.0 out of 5 stars Survival Horror at its finest!
What a sleeper hit Dead Space has become! And rightly so. It has to be one of the scariest games I have ever played along with some amazing graphics and gorgeous lighting. Not only that but I do have to comment on just how silky smooth this game looks and runs on the PS3. I haven't encountered one bug through the entire game and the level of detail that has gone into...
Published on 28 Oct. 2008 by Kindle Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Dead Space
Dead Space is a game that is exactly what it says on the tin , a shooter/horror that is set in the deepest reaches of space where , as the player you will have to perform specific tasks in order to reach your objective , whilst fending off the stuff of nightmares that stalk you and try to hunt you down. What I like about this game is that when you are presented with...
Published on 15 Sept. 2012 by Chaines1991

‹ Previous | 1 2 317 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars No-one can hear you scream (apart from your neighbours), 16 Feb. 2010
tallpete33 (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dead Space (PS3) (Video Game)
I'm only a casual gamer (old enough to know better I guess) but like to play a variety of genres including the odd scary one like this beauty from time to time. Dead space had been tempting me for a while and for around a tenner, it became too good to resist.

Played in the third person, you are a miner called Isaac Clarke more or less alone (well lone human anyway) from the start, soon cut off from your two colleagues who were with you when your ship crash landed onto the USG ISHIMURA, the company mining ship you were sent to investigate. A slow burner, I was quite indifferent to it at first but it soon started to draw me back more and more, mainly because of the excellent gameplay and dark scary atmosphere.

It is quite Resident Evil 4 (yet to pay Resi 5 so can't compare the two I'm afraid), in it's execution with over the shoulder aiming but the main difference being you can move and shoot in this - very necessary as you will find out. Not only can you shoot but you can melee, slow down (with stasis), throw and even stamp on grounded creatures, producing a pretty nauseous squelch in the process. Stumbling over limbs and heads is equally unsavoury too, especially when they're floating around in zero gravity. It has to be said, this game deserves its 18 rating for the copious amounts of blood and guts on show.

Outside space walks (ok, runs!) in the vacuum are noisy, tense affairs with limited oxygen and the wind masking the sound of approaching uglies who have only bad intentions. Take some hits or run low on oxygen and you know it, stumbling around and gasping for breath as panic sets in. Even on the inside you may kick something on the ground and the noise will make you think you're not alone and cock your weapon again. You really are kept on your toes in this, often scared of your own shadow and you'll look around every corner before daring to go round it.

The variety of weapons is not huge (the maxed out Line Gun and Pulse Rifle worked for me) but certainly enough and you have to make decisions at the store as to which to buy or you may wish to beef up your suit. You can select up to four guns and quickly swap in real-time using the D-pad. The use of stasis (slow things down) and kinesis (to throw/move objects) adds variety and the satisfaction of learning new skills. Its very worthwhile getting to know the inventory early doors and learning how to move surplus ammo or other items to the safe to make room for more. I'd recommend saving your money for the upgraded suits which allow you to carry more to hand, similar to the suitcase in Resi 4.

Your health is displayed on the back of your suit in series of blue LEDs climbing up your spine - very cool and easy to see but often you hear or see you are in trouble first as mentioned earlier. The suit itself is a pretty raggedy but well rendered affair, almost medieval in appearance. Upgrading it visually adds protection and there is some rare humour when you see yourself coming out of the changing room Mr Benn style (ask your dad) before patting yourself down and re-entering the fray. Clock the game and you unlock the excellent white military suit, very Stormtrooper if in need of a bit of a wash. Others can be purchased for a couple of (real) quid with other DLC (guns etc) from the Playstation Store. Rude not too seeing as the game can be had for peanuts.

You never get to see your character's face or hear him speak until the end, only adding to the bleak atmosphere and sense of isolation not encountered since Tomb Raider 1. Isaac Clarke (a nod to Isaac Asimov and Arthur C Clarke, I'm guessing) is no chatty Nathan Drake; he silently roams the spaceship fighting for his life, not removing his sweaty helmet until that dramatic final scene.

Overall, this is a very well thought out, atmospheric, scary and immersive game. Not for everyone, its Resi 4 meets Alien or The Thing and it rocks.

Graphics 8.5/10
Sound 9/10
Gameplay 9/10
Overall 9/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Stellar Space Terror, 4 Oct. 2009
Stevie G "Stevie G" (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Dead Space (PS3) (Video Game)
In the year since Dead Spaces release, no horror game has matched it. It's a terrifying experience, and finally marks an IP which is better than Resident Evil & Silent Hill.
Isaac Clarke boards the USG Ishimura to investigate a distress signal. The thousand-strong crew are missing; all that remains are mutated creatures, with a hunger for flesh. With no way back, Isaac must uncover the bizarre truth. Dead Space is inspired by horror classics like Alien and Event Horizon, and presentation is suitably cinematic. The lack of a HUD adds immensely to this feeling. Health is integrated into Isaacs's suit, animations and breathing also indicate his wellbeing. Ammo is similarly displayed on each weapon. Even the inventory is a hologram on Isaacs's suit which can be managed on the move.

The storyline is masterfully paced, and the same trick is rarely used twice. This keeps a great sense of uncertainty. Effective moments, like every window in a corridor exploding, provides scares, but add to the feeling the Ishimura is quickly becoming a tomb. The isolation of the main character keeps tensions high, as there's no partner to back you up, and ammo is in limited supply. The weapon set is also original, featuring an improvised selection of tools aboard the ship. Combat is centred on limb dismemberment; weapons like the Plasma Cutter and Line Gun are brutally effective. This focus makes a refreshing change from headshots. Weapons can be upgraded via work benches, providing enough power nodes have been collected.

Variations in gameplay include zero gravity sections. Vertical walls can be scaled, making these sections wonderfully disorienting. Vacuum areas see Isaac navigating the outer ship, with a limited air supply; Sound is muted during these stages, meaning Necromorphs can attack suddenly and without warning. Boss battles are included, but instead of long, drawn out affairs, come with a satisfying gimmick.
Another high point is Dead Spaces audio. Sound effects are great, enemy sounds, and the melee stomping noises are stomach churning. Background sounds are subtle but effective. Even voice acting is fantastic. There are multiple audio and video logs located throughout the Ishimura, which add layers to the story.

The finest survival horror in years, Dead Space is a revelation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to Dead Space after DS2 and DS3, 18 April 2013
S. Haddow - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Dead Space (PS3) (Video Game)
Wow. After playing through DS3 and enjoying it, I decided to load DS1 and play the unlocked DS+ game with my pimped out suit and weaponry power noded to the max. However I couldn't find the option to do that so I started a new game. It struck me very quickly how different an experience this was to DS3 and even DS2. It's a very lonely and tense game. My plasma cutter took three shots to bring a necromorph to it's knees. Suddenly I had to aim and conserve ammo. I quickly grew to dread the crawling ones with the big tails. And the one that won't die really had me nervous. I became attuned to the music again - hearing clues that something bad was coming. My suit had only 8 inventory slots. I had 30 seconds of air and then remembered that awful gasping sound as it ran out. My favourite bit still remains the level on the Ishimura bridge, with the hollow booming of asteroids battering the hull. Of course it's a game not without flaws - the occasional recycling of levels for different missions and the constant doubling back do make the game feel like it's slowing down sometimes. I do miss Isaac Clarke talking in cutscenes, that's something I feel they got right in DS2 and DS3 and it's strange to upgrade a suit without that flourish of music. Zero G is also clunky and limited compared to the later games. However the thing - I now realise - that DS 2 and 3 don't have, that DS1 has in spades, is the adrenaline that always kept me away from playing it too late at night in case I got too pumped to sleep. The constant sense that resources are scarce and that if you misjudge you'll die just make it more scary. And the music is much more sinister and dark - less like a big budget movie. Cut scenes are also very scarce and really amount to no more than your camera being temporarily locked in one place to let you see something. In DS2 and 3 I tended to avoid the audio logs and video logs - they were too cheesy and destroyed the atmosphere, however I picked some up out of curiosity in DS1 and they are pretty good. DS1 also understands the fear factor that darkness brings - there are moments where you can't see much at all as lights flicker and go out. I'd also forgotten how reassuring it was to reach the tram station at the end of a level - with the high pitched string music that sounds like the sqeal of brakes from a distant train. I'm getting a bit carried away I know, but I'd forgotten how good this game is, thinking it had been superceded by 2 and 3, when in fact the reverse is true. DS 2 and 3 are great games, absolutely carried me along, but although they had well timed jump moments, there were very few moments - and to be fair no moments in DS3 - that I had a real sense of dread. I also love all the various signs and posters dotted around the Ishimura - they feel completely authentic - as does the Ishimura itself, it feels like a real mining ship. I could go on. This game will absolutely suck you in. My favourite game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Space Ace, 9 Nov. 2008
C. Treen (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Space (PS3) (Video Game)
If you own a PS3 or Xbox, like survival horrors and want to play a genuinely scary and atmospheric game then you should look no further than Dead Space. I've had my eye on this for ages but to be quite honest I was expecting it to be a complete let down as it was made by Electronic Arts themselves and lets face it the only thing they're well known for is sports games nowadays. However, it seems they are turning over a new leaf.

First of all there will be lots of comparisons to Resident Evil 4 (which, was stunning on the Gamecube and my last Gen fave) and quite rightly so, but Dead Space only seems to take the good bits, build on them and then throw in loads of it's own fresh new innovative ideas. The Zero G moments genuinely are really cool.

Storywise it holds up quite solidly and will remind you of all sorts of films based in space. The graphics are stunning and along with the quite frankly perfect sound effects help to create a seriously cinematic atmosphere. A special mention has to be given to the lighting effects, which are thrown around so generously and look so smart that you'll find yourself looking back at things to check them out.

If you found the original Alien Vs Predator on the PC or Atari Jaguar nerve racking to play then this will certainly raise your heart rate and make you jump.

As far as people saying that this isn't all that scary then I suggest they play it on a big TV with all the surround sound cranked up and the lights turned off. There is no HUD in the games so you feel part of the game. It puts the recent Resident Evils to shame in the Scare factor.

Although Resi 5 will no doubt be another awesome game, it's certainly got some very strong competition here. Just hope EA don't go and give it a yearly update and create another cash cow bore.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still worth a play, 1 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Dead Space (PS3) (Video Game)
Six years later, Dead Space is still worth a blast through though not if you're squeamish. Graphics, story (though a little predictable) and gameplay mechanics still hold up despite some annoying problems such as in anti-gravity areas where the system is very finicky about where you can jump and the absence of an evade command (although this helps the fear factor). Sometimes dark areas make it very hard to see the enemies and even though this is deliberate it can be a tad frustrating. As other reviewers have pointed out, the sound design on this game is quite extraordinary and increases tension levels but despite the horror factor this game is really only manageable if you're fairly impervious to organic monstrosities, which this game provides in plenty (in fact they reminded me a great deal of the Thing monstrosities in the PS2 game of the same name which was a sequel to the movie). Having played through the game once (and once it will remain) that is what I will remember with most glee from my twelve or so hours in the world of Dead Space, i.e. the disgusting necromorphs in their various shapes and sizes and the satisfaction that comes from cutting their limbs off one by one. Minor puzzle sections also add some variety to the game and to the game's credit the pacing is exceedingly well judged with intense sections carefully intersperced with quiet though eery sections.

Recommended. Four stars (I like it).

5.0 out of 5 stars Gaming at its best!, 3 Feb. 2009
M. Collins (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Space (PS3) (Video Game)
I've just completed Dead Space so I thought I would quickly recommend it to others. This is one of the best games I've ever played, the atmosphere, gameplay and visuals are simply awesome. Even though it borrows so much from other sources (Event Horizon, Alien(s), Resident Evil 4 etc), it adds so much of its own ideas that it feels fresh and exciting.

For instance, the HUD and videos/inventory is integrated into Isacc's suit and display, changing angle as you move. Then there's the outstanding music and sound design. 12 chapters of tension, blended seamlessly as you move to each new section of the ship via a tram system... stunning graphics and lighting effects, brilliantly designed creatures, the ability to upgrade your weapons, suit and abilities (telekenesis is fun, as is slowing down your enemies with stasis and many zero-gravity sections) great voice talent, buckets of gore ... the list goes on.

My only criticisms (just incase anyone from EA ever reads this!) are that sometimes the game reloads at quite frustrating autosave points, and you can't skip cut or death scenes so due to long reloading times it can take a while to get back into the action. Perhaps they'll rectify this in a sequel, cos I sure hope there is one! A brilliant game - Highly Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have, 10 Nov. 2008
G. Holcombe "GaryH" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Space (PS3) (Video Game)
I have been hooked to this game since purchasing it. The level of difficulty is just right, and the storyline and "whats behind this door" aspect keep you coming back.

As others have said, the graphics are stunning. In places, such as when you walk on to the bridge for the first time, I just looked at the screen and thought wow as you looked out over the planet into space with the asteroids hurtling towards you. The enemies are genuinely scary, the number of times I have not wanted to open a door for fear of what is making the noise behind it. The sound effects are excellent, there are times when you actually feel afraid walking down a corridor because you can hear the creatures scuttling down the vents in the roof.

Controls and gameplay are spot on. I'm now up to level 8 where difficulty is really starting to ramp up. You really do need to know how to use your different weapons and the weak spots on the different types of enemy. Its a truely atmospheric game, and dare I say, perfect in every way from the point of view of a good horror sci-fi game.

For me this is one of those must have games up there with COD4 and GTA4. Well done EA!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dead Space - Dead Scared more like . . ., 16 April 2009
This review is from: Dead Space (PS3) (Video Game)
The first thing you need to know is I'm not a video game 'junkie', I don't spend half my life glued to my PS3. I tend to choose my games carefully and play them when I can. When I saw 'Dead Space' the first thing that struck me was the image on the cover. As a fan of horror movies, this ticked the right box. How right I was!!! From the second the game started I was, quite literally, on the edge of my seat. No sooner have you had a quick orientation into the story of the game and (barely) got to grips with the controls, you suddenly find yourself knee deep in a world of terror. The next 15/20 seconds are, quite literally, terrifying. Believe me, even you hardy horror game cynics, this one'll get your pulse racing! Awesome graphics, a refreshing new take on your choice of weapons, solid storyline and a soundtrack that will have you jumping out of your seat. I've never written a review before, but enjoyed this game so much I just had to 'big it up'!! Wicked. So, make sure the kids are in bed (if you have them!), dim the lights, turn up the volume and don't say I didn't warn you . . . . .

5.0 out of 5 stars What Res Evil 5 Should Have Been, 10 April 2009
Ree (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dead Space (PS3) (Video Game)
Personally im not a huge fan of 3rd person shooters, I usually avoid them like the plague but there hasn't really been anything scary on the FPS front, there have been some awesome games yes but nothing too scary.

When I read the reviews for this game I just couldn't resist and im glad I didn't, it made me think of Doom 3 at the start and I was a little worried that it would be exactly that but it's not, Doom 3 seemed to be the same thing over and over, no large open space just cramped passages! this game has sections like that but also includes wider open spaces. I also adds a few extra dimensions with the psych powers and the slowing down of objects.

This game is full of effects usually used in movies, like shadows moving all over the show, the awesome use of sound effects, different environments, it all just seems to come together so well! So many excellent things I would like to list but that would just ruin it.

This game isn't exepnsive at the moment so is good value for the price, I would defo recomend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I have been waiting for in a game!, 28 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Dead Space (PS3) (Video Game)
Atmosphere, story and terror Dead space delivers so many of the things I love in my favourite scifi feature films like Alien and Blade runner with characters I can really get behind and grow attached to and with Issac Clarke we have one of the most sympathetic protagonist's in gaming history. Because he never speaks his arched back and pained grunts while he struggles for breath puts the player in his boots making the game so brilliantly immersive and all the more terrifying. The audio is unreal at times with the occasional clatter in the dark distance or footsteps overhead it leaves you wondering just who or what is watching you approach!
This is a story centric game which means it may not be for everyone but if you are like me and enjoy a dense gaming experience that will have you jumping out of your seat at times then Dead Space is the game you have all been waiting for.
I recomend that you play this with the volume up for the full eperience and of course with the lights off!
"Make us whole again".

‹ Previous | 1 2 317 | Next ›

Dead Space (PS3)
Dead Space (PS3) by Electronic Arts (PlayStation 3)