Platform: PlayStation3|Edition: Standard|Change
Price:£8.98+ £2.03 shipping

on 7 January 2015
Excellent
on 18 February 2011
I echo all the rave reviews- it's a masterpiece of gaming , only sadly let down (for me) by the rather boring and protracted boss fight at the end- but then I find 99% of boss fights protracted and boring anyway.
on 17 September 2009
I really loved this game. Played it to death!! Great graphics and story and its quite scary, made me jump out of my skin a few times. Please that I got it.Brilliant game 10 out of 10 from me.
on 10 September 2009
This is an amazing game, I gutted I have finnished it as I now can't find a game as good, so have not played with the PS3 for a while!
on 7 February 2010
I received the game within one week. I was very excited because I read so much about this game. And all I can say after playing the game is "Great fun" and cool horror. Thanks
on 3 May 2010
You play the role of Isaac Clarke, an engineer sent in response to a distress signal from the mining ship USG Ishimura. On arrival the rescue ship crash lands into the Ishimura and on disembarking the crew finds the ship seemingly abandoned. The party then splits and Isaac finds himself alone, with the occasional direction from the two remaining crew members. The story unfolds via snippets of information within these directions and via the audio/video/text logs that are found scattered throughout the Ishmura, as well as from a couple of external characters. This plot, although not exactly original (Doom 3 springs to mind), is well executed, with relatively believable characters (for a computer game) and a tight, tense atmosphere. My main complaint here is that the missions nearly all involve returning some functionality to the ship, which I found became quite chore like and repetitive after a while.

Issac's adversaries come in the form of the Necromorphs, zombie / demon like creatures. The development team have attempted to inject some originality in that the Necromorphs may be impeded via limb dismemberment, allowing the player to slow them down and conserve ammo via shooting at the joints. Ammo is very scarce and unless you make a concerted effort to minimise your use of it you'll be spending most of your money in the shop on it. Combined with the fact that you only get enough nodes (used at benches to upgrade your kit) to upgrade a single weapon, you'll probably (depending on whether you conserve ammo or not) only ever get to experience a couple of the seven available weapons on your first play (you get bonus power nodes the first time you complete the game).

The graphical style is not original. I had to check whether they were using the Doom 3 engine; the dark ambiance and monster construction are very similar. On closer inspection however, there are differences; Doom 3 had a more glistening, organic look, which I preferred. The execution of this style achieves its objectives: a realistic, deserted, creepy spaceship occupied only by corpses and hideous ugly creatures. However, although quite scary and very atmospheric to begin with, I found that after ten hours I was desensitised to the tense atmosphere and was getting quite bored walking around the same spaceship completing yet more chores.

The sound effects are excellent, I have no complaints here. The tracks subtly shift as you go in and out of combat. You can constantly hear the ship groan and distant objects crashing. I would go so far as to say that are the best I've ever experienced in a horror game. I just wish I'd purchased this after my 5.1 speaker system.

So to summarize: the atmosphere, plot and graphics are excellent, although unoriginal. To me originality is what makes a game (or any form of entertainment) memorable. All the great classics stand out in my mind (Doom, The Evil Dead (film)). This won't. This alone justifies the loss of a star. However, the fact that I was actually getting bored during some of the gameplay leads to my final mark of 3 stars.
44 comments|6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 May 2010
a refreshing change. bad graphics but a nice new game. great storyline. interesting ways to kill.
on 27 August 2009
As I played through this game, start to finish, there were few points where I could really consider it a game in its own right. The whole of this game is copied from one place or another. The pretence of the game, trapped alone in a confined, almost clostrophobic atmosphere is clearly from Bioshock, as is the kenisis ability along with the religious references.

The concept of mindless, ferocious enemies attacking and appearing seemingly from nowhere, jumping from the ground and leaping down from the cielings is very general zombie game style. I would probably attribute most of it's horror to the old Resident Evil games. Then there were the enormous boss battles, some fought in the usual fighting style, you vs the monster, and some were fought with the player on a turret firing madly at the enormous enemy.
The first reminds me most, strangly, of Sonic Adventure 2 Battle on the Gamecube, oddly enough. The tiny character easily overpowering and outsmarting enemies which are clearly inconvievably more powerful.
The second reminds me a lot of the Jak and Daxter games, mostly Jak 2: Renegade, as the enormously varied playstyles in that game at one point involve Jak in a travelling turret shooting at enourmous enemy ships.

In spite of all of this there are definatly a good few original points in this game. The most notable of these is the disinct lack of a HUD. There is no health bar, no ammo indicator and even no button prompts. The health bar is what one of the characters calls your "Rig" which is basically a tube filled with a blue liquid which runs down the back of your character the amount of which decreases with every hit taken.
Even things like the Inventory are purely in game. When the player pressed the button to open the Inventory the character's suit projects a small holographic screen which is navigated using the D-Pad and unused shoulder buttons. This is a very interesting and impressive innovation.

Apart from the innovative lack of a HUD, Dead Space unfortunatly brings very little to the table creativly. However, it is a very exiting and clean game which delivers an interesting plot, mildly intersting characters and a very scary beginning, even if it does fall into the same trap as Resident Evil's later games by thinking bigger enemies make games scarier. Overall this is a very impressive and enjoyable game, even if it doesn't live up to it's far more innovative and original brother Bioshock in creativity or originality, Dead Space is definatly worth buying and get's a solid 9.5/10.
on 26 October 2012
I played this after playing Dead Space 2. Now I thought being familiar with the controls I would breeze through. Wrong. Dead Space games are tough. By Chapter 5 of 12 you know your in for it. Each fight is a puzzle that you have to work out. This does make it rewarding. Again the engineering puzzles are sublime. Repair this and repair that. Not too easy and not too hard.

Each level takes you through corridors and rooms of the mining spaceship and then you make your way back. On your own of course. All this being very nail biting . Ammunition finds are kept to keep you just on top of the battle...only just.

The game again is superbly polished with no glitches at all I came across. My criticism of the game is that about fourteen hours of tough gameplay, with no relief, is too much. Yes I found this first instalment to be too tense. Then to finish the game off with a boss battle that took me at least two hours to work out (I jumped in the air when I beat the thing) was a bit too much for me.

Overall I found it too tense to have replay value. I m hoping Dead Space 3 will be more action orientated and now I'm going to play something a bit more light hearted in the meantime (on easy level!)
on 3 January 2016
Its aight, won't ever be no resident evil in space however.