5.0 out of 5 stars Their best yet by so many miles, 26 Mar 2009
This review is from: For Lies I Sire (Audio CD)
I think, like I dare say most MDB fans, I had become painfully aware of the fact that 'A line of Deathless Kings' was by no means the band's best album, and this was in keeping with one of the more frustrating Doom Metal bands out there. When My Dying Bride make a good album, it's epic in a way that would make even Opeth stand up and take note. When they make a bad album though (34.778% Complete springs to mind), they sound like Marilyn Manson trying to do an impression of Ville Valo.

With that nagging thought, I was in two minds about whether to buy 'For Lies, I Sire', but I strongly advise you don't hesitate, for the simple reason that anything that might have been a problem on the last album has now been so convincingly ironed out, and where the last LP felt like the ill-conceived 'Like Gods of the Sun', this one feels like a return to the style exhibited on 'Turn Loose the Swans' and 'The Dreadful Hours'. It's powerful, melodic, instantly engaging and Aaron has never sounded better. My only criticism is the same criticism I had with the album before last - 'Songs of Darkness, Words of Light' - there's not enough of it.

Think 'Blackwater Park' meets 'The Dreadful Hours' and then splice it with some of Cradle of Filth's most recent work (which I have to say, is also excellent). It's a very clever, technically awesome album whioh shows off one of the most famous Doom Metal bands of all time to magnificent effect.

Welcome back MDB. We missed you for a while there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet more amazing songs from England's best kept secret in Metal., 27 Mar 2009
This review is from: For Lies I Sire (Audio CD)
Having just read the guy's from Chelmsford review I have to agree with one of his two points, this album is utterly fantastic, the mood and atmosphere, playing, singing, lyric's and heaviness are first class. But to say their last album was not one of their best I can not agree with, it was all the above with a slightly different feel which bands of the quality of this do with ease. I do not want to listen to 'The Dreadful Hours' mk1 and mk2 I want to hear progression in the sounds and writing, this new cd will be playing in my car, house, pc, mp3 and work (god help them all) for many months to come. I can not wait to see them live, England's best kept secret yes, but I hope for not too much longer. These talented people put most band's to shame with the quality they produce.

4.0 out of 5 stars More MDB times, 13 May 2009
This review is from: For Lies I Sire: Special Edition (Audio CD)
Trouble with MDB is, once you're hooked, you will buy all their albums, no matter how good or bad they are. And with My Dying Bride, you can never be sure. Throughout their whole career, they have swayed between masterpieces like The Angel and the Dark River or The Dreadful Hours, and mediocrity like Like Gods of the Sun and their last album, A Line of Deathless Kings. ALoDK was ok, but it wasn't setting the doom loving world on fire. Ok, this isn't going to set the world on fire either, but it's 100% worth buying. It's similar to ALoDK in style, definitely, but with some twists. Namely, the violin is back! I nearly wet myself with excitement when I heard this, ok, so its not that exciting really, but in places it's been used to a great effect, somewhat differently to how Martin used it.

And there are a lot of great songs! "My body a funeral", is a great starter, "Fall With Me" is as good as any MDB song, and there's the crazy, aggressive screeches of "A Chapter in Loathing", and the cool riffs of "Bring me Victory". And, something else quite awesome about this edition: it comes with the guitar tabs for 4 of the songs which I am very excited about trying out, and a pretty cool MDB logo pick. A nice touch for any guitar players or MDB fans alike.

MDB are certainly as melancholic, melodic and heavy as usual. Its not Turn Loose the Swans again, but do we really want that? Its essentially a follow up to ALoDK (note the riff from the end of "The Blood, the Wine, the Roses" continuing into "A Chapter in Loathing"!), with a similar style, plus a few elements from their earlier career (violins not used so heavily, but a nice addition), and some new riffs and songs to enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sealed yet!, 17 July 2013
This review is from: For Lies I Sire: Special Edition (Audio CD)
Thank you for seller this álbum sealed yet!

Consider:
I rated this ‘cause is sealed
I disliked the fact of álbum is wrinked, crumpled
But i recommend this a lot, because it comes with a plectrum guitar

4.0 out of 5 stars It got better, 17 Aug 2009
D. L. Wilkinson "Dean" (London,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: For Lies I Sire: Special Edition (Audio CD)
I have to say initially this album struck me as dissapointing,but after going back to it after a while it's sounding better.
It strikes me as being typical mdb fare but with a more intimate less bombastic sound and a clearer more well defined sound.Just as morose as usual,thankfully.
I am another one who would,far from wanting them to stick to their roots, love to see them branching out with some real surprises.I love the 34% album,the one said to be a radical departure,but to my mind was a minor departue but all the better for it.Forest of Shadows had massive attack influence on ther last album for instance and SunnO had a horn player who was one of jazz musicians Sun Ra's guys on their last one.
All said I like this album but would love to see them do something really,genuinely different whilst maintaining their miserable essence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 16 May 2009
Alexei Zaitsev (Hamilton, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: For Lies I Sire: Special Edition (Audio CD)
It took me a few listens to really appreciate this CD, but it is absolutely fantastic! The first thing that i've noticed is very clean sound. Personally I would prefer a less clean sound of previous releases but it does not take away from otherwise great album. Do not hesitate to add it to your collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightfully Morbid, 4 Jun 2009
This review is from: For Lies I Sire: Special Edition (Audio CD)
The great thing about this album is that MDB have not stuck to one genre.
For Lies I Sire conquers gothic metal/doom metal/classical and takes influence from black/death metal styles also.

The lyrics are richly epic, vocals quivering with melodrama. MDB have really felt the benefit of crystal clear production. Do not be fooled, this is no pop album, the chugging guitars and thundering drums are essential but are used effectively.

All in all this album is shockingly good and will hopefully cement MDB as one of our best recording bands.For Lies I Sire

For Lies I Sire: Special Edition
For Lies I Sire: Special Edition by My Dying Bride (Audio CD - 2013)