4.0 out of 5 stars Just a little info..., 18 Oct 2008
Paul McNamee "Rambleast Reviews" (North Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Opeth: The Roundhouse Tapes [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
Seeing as Amazon don't care to let us know what's on this DVD, here's the tracklisting:

1. "When" ' 10:28
6. "The Night and the Silent Water" ' 10:29
7. "Windowpane" ' 8:01
8. "Blackwater Park" ' 18:59
9. "Demon of the Fall" ' 8:13

Extra features include fan and band interviews, you know, the usual stuff. Ignore the sourpuss reviewer below (or above), the CD issue was great and this will be too, if the footage included on the Still Life reissue is anything to go by. For just under a tenner, what's to complain about??

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Every Penny!, 29 Nov 2008
This review is from: Opeth: The Roundhouse Tapes [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
Yes, it may be the case that Opeth are releasing a DVD of an album that I spent money on about a year ago. But you know what? I find myself not caring. With a band with such quality and incredible musicianship, I think it is worth it. The CD of The Roundhouse Tapes gave me a taster, got me licking my lis, and now the DVD is reminding me yet again how significant this band are, not only in the world of progressive metal, but music in general (though your average punter would never know it!) Having seen them live this week (the week I write this) on the Watershed Tour, I know how fantastic an Opeth show is.
I have Lamentations, and it was a great show. The Roundhouse Tapes takes it to the next level. I am most annoyed that I wasn't in that particular show as I'm sure it would have been mindblowing. But I can take comfort in the fact that I can listen to it and now watch it.

Thank you Opeth, and continue to produce quality stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Night to Remember, 25 Nov 2008
J. Halstead "BlackMetal41" (Solihull, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Opeth: The Roundhouse Tapes [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
Unlike others, I recalled reading in the press that there was always going to be a DVD release of this tour, so I didn't go out and buy the CD. It's been a long wait - I saw this tour in Birmingham and have to say that Opeth truly are one of the finest groups. Particularly as they transpose their complex songs effortlessly into a live forum. Featured here are songs from all their CD's except Deliverence which was a disappointment as its my favourite Opeth record! Everything is faultless, Michael's "chat" with the audience is quite amusing and the extras include a soundcheck and interviews with the band. The only thing that irritated me was the sound bites from the crowd after the gig but I guess I'll just turn it off before they start in future! Opeth are superb and this is a fitting swansong for their departing guitar player Peter Lindgren.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I expected, 3 Mar 2014
This review is from: Opeth: The Roundhouse Tapes [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
Awesome metal band, great songs, fantastic live performance. A must-have for those that love the band, for those that are new to Opeth and for those that like progressive and out-of-the-box songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic live performance by Opeth, 10 Oct 2012
Mr. A. J. Tennant "Metalhead" (Warwickshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Opeth: The Roundhouse Tapes [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I became a fan of Opeth in August 2012 after listening to a few of their songs from most of their albums on the internet before buying all of their albums and I was so blown away by their music, and this live performance by Opeth at The Roundhouse in London on the 9th of November 2006 really shows how good they are live as well as on their studio albums. I regret that I wasn't at the venue at the time of this concert, but if I was then I would have had a really good time as Opeth played a selection of songs from most of their albums and there is such great musicianship in the band.

I was really impressed with how well all the band members performed in that concert, particularly Mikael Akerfeldt (vocals/guitars) and Peter Lindgren (guitars). All band members past and present have brought quite a few influences in the songs they wrote and recorded for their albums, particularly folk music and progressive rock, hence why Opeth are classed as a progressive metal band even though they started out as a death metal band back in 1990. In some of the songs on their albums I noticed some Deep Purple and Rainbow influences, particularly on "The Baying of the Hounds" and "Beneath the Mire" which feature on their excellent 2005 album Ghost Reveries, I also noticed some Pink Floyd and Emerson Lake & Palmer influences in some of their other material, particularly with how long a few of their songs are. In fact, listening to Opeth has encouraged me to listen to Rainbow and Dio again as I have always been inspired by former Deep Purple and Rainbow guitarist Ritchie Blackmore (who is an influence on Mikael Akerfeldt) and the late great Ronnie James Dio who provided vocals for Rainbow from 1975 to 1979, and Black Sabbath (replacing Ozzy Osbourne who was fired from Black Sabbath in 1979) before forming his own band Dio in 1982.

Overall, this DVD will really please anyone who already knows Opeth's material and those wishing to buy their albums at some point in their lives, it's well worth your time and money. I very highly recommend The Roundhouse Tapes to anyone, I've been really pleased with this DVD and I would say that Opeth have become an influence on me since buying their albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars opeth!!!!!!!, 15 Nov 2008
This review is from: Opeth: The Roundhouse Tapes [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
i am fairly new to opeths music but i own a lot of there albums and thought i would give this new dvd a go to see what they were like live. In a few simple words OHHH MYYY GODDDDD

the roundhouse venue was a great place for them to play and they pulled of a great show delving into there old songs aswell as new. In this deluxe edition there is also an art book with the artwork for this album and some opeth postcards i am very pleased with this package and so will any opeth fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read up before you moan, 29 Jan 2009
This review is from: Opeth: The Roundhouse Tapes [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
To the reviwer above who clearly does not know what hes talking about.
If you where an Opeth fan you would have read on thier website that this was always meant to be released on DVD. They said this long before the CD was announced. In fact the CD was released as they had a lot of problems with getting the DVD released. They almost shelved it but got through the issues & got it released.

5.0 out of 5 stars I know it's not out yet but..., 29 Oct 2008
Lee Vickers "Metal fanatic" (Chesterfield, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Opeth: The Roundhouse Tapes [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
There are some DVD's that deserve to be released on their own and not bundled with a cd...and this is one of them. Opeth are synonymous with quality and they don't do anything by half measures. I know, I know..there's a record company behind this and all might not be as it seems but bear with me.

I was at the Nottingham Rock City show,the night before the Roundhouse show, which is featured in this DVD. The Nottingham show was one of the best Opeth shows I have ever seen..for a number of reasons. First and foremost an amazing performance; great set list and Mr. Akerfeldt was on top witty form. On top of that, my buddy, who I would not have dreamed of being at show like this, agreed to come and was blown away. I knew that the Roundhouse show was being filmed and for good reason, a spectacular venue with a rich history, man, I so wish I had been there! Considering the performance in Nottingham..so good... and that they were filming the Roundhouse gig...they would be going to town on the production. To bundle a live DVD with the live CD of the same name would, in my book, be wrong. To hurridly bundle it would diminish the quality, time needs to be spent on producing a quality live DVD and expecting punters to pay for it. I agree with The Doctor that money is always in question. "The Roundhouse Tapes" had been touted as a live DVD pretty much after the tour ended and it would be easy to suggest that this is record company shenanigans at work, "Watershed" came out in June and there is a tour coming up...who wouldn't think that this is just another product to keep Opeth in circulation?

I admit to buying the "Roundhouse Tapes" cd when it came out last year. Considering that I was between THAT show and "Watershed"...well..they got me. I'm not into live albums...but I am into Opeth. I've been waiting for this DVD for 2 years and the sole reason for that is that although this DVD was not recorded at Nottingham, I've been waiting for the visual documentation of what was one of the greatest gigs I've ever been to. Anyone that has seen "Lamentations" will know the quality that Opeth produce and I know that I will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great show/set list, 6 Dec 2009
Antonio Pereira (Porto, Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Opeth: The Roundhouse Tapes [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I like opeth and I like them even more after watching this dvd was a great concert with a good set list, if you like opeth think you should buy this dvd.

Opeth: The Roundhouse Tapes [DVD] [2010]