5.0 out of 5 stars PowerMonkey worked great!
Published on 15 Nov 2008 by LS

2.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Review
Published on 19 July 2011 by C Shepherd

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Review, 19 July 2011
This review is from: PowerTraveller PowerMonkey-Explorer Portable Charger - Yellow (Sports)
I bought this to take on a camping trip and have to say it is a fantastic piece of kit. There are a lot of adaptors in the box allowign you to plug in almost every device imaginable and its very easy to use - so easy I almost wondered if I was missing something. From a single charge on the Power Monkey I was able to charge my Blackberry twice and boosted iPod power before needing to charge it again.

If I was just reviewing the Power Monkey alone this would be a 5 star product.

What really let this down for me was the solar panel charger - the Explorer option. The solar panels are a good pocket sized device and in strong sunlight did help to keep the Power Monkey charged up. What really disappointed me was its construction - for a device to be used outdoors rather than an office environment it certainly has a rugged design and appearance, with ridged grips and rubberised feel. This is unfortunately deceptive however. The hinge joining the two parts of the solar panel is incredibly flimsy and where the hinge connects to one of the panels is two small strips of plastic. Despite being careful in using it, while moving it into sunlight I managed to snag the panels on my backpack and break the hinge with disappointing ease. My fault I realise but for a outdoor device you would expect it to take a little bit of a knock without breaking. Based on my experience I certainly wouldn't expect the panels to survive a fall onto a floor from a few feet if the panel was open.

For such an otherwise great product in which a lot of excellent design thought has gone into, this was a real let down.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good for Two Weeks, 30 Aug 2010
I took this gadget on a three week cycle tour to keep my iphone charged. For two weeks it worked brilliantly, even the solar charging worked well. Then one day it just stopped delivering charge to the phone. It hadn't got wet, may have got over-heated, but it was about as well protected as it could have been inside a pannier, so I was left really frustrated with a flat battery.

Additionally, while the assortment of device adapters is excellent, to build-quality is not totally robust. I plugged the Sony Ericsson adapter in to a friend's phone, and when we tried to unplug it pulled apart, rendering it useless.

I will note that I'm about to contact the manufacturer about these failings, so let's see how helpful they are...

5.0 out of 5 stars PowerMonkey worked great!, 15 Nov 2008
I did a bit of research online before buying a solar charger and I am happy that I got a PowerMonkey. I used it while camping and it worked brilliantly. The different adaptor/connections all worked. The only disappointment was not having an adaptor for my Nintendo DS (which was listed as included - but wasn't). However this wasnt a big issue as the device itself worked really well. I would recommend it. It seems crazy to not have one - FREE power from the sun!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars solar power, 11 July 2009
astraman "mick" (cheshire england) - See all my reviews
as I go fishing and camping alot the power monkey is the most used gadget I use. power for mobile phones mp3 etc.free power on tap from the sun also a (green)gadget,100% recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars PowerMonkey Explorer, 5 Jun 2009
P. Jackson "onesque" (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought a Free Loader solar power charger a few years ago then bought a PowerMonkey as a christmas present for my son. I was so impressed with the PowerMonkey I bought one myself. The build quality is excellent (far better than the Free Loader)and the choice of adaptors is extensive. I recently took it on holiday to Turkey and used it to recharge my ipod and PDA. The easiest way of charging the PowerMonkey is via the mains adaptor (again worldwide mains adaptors included)however it can be topped up using the solar panels which plug into the PowerMonkey although to fully charge the unit by this method would take considerable time. Having said that the solar panels can be attached to a rucksac or outer clothing whilst walking and would recharge the PowerMonkey sufficiently to power a dead GPS or mobile phone to enable you to get out of a sticky situation. All in all I'm very pleased with the device.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solar Monkey, 2 Oct 2009
Andrew Knight (Leyland, UK) - See all my reviews
Takes a long while to charge using solar only, faster otherwise, but then holds its large charge well thereafter.

3.0 out of 5 stars Compatibility issues.., 31 July 2011
The battery pack charged up fine from the solar panels, but unfortunately doesnt seem to be compatible with my phone (an oldish Nokia!) so wasnt much use in the end.. emailed the company twice to find out if they were aware of compatibility issues but had no response which is dissapointing. Still, if it works with your phone im sure itd be great!

1.0 out of 5 stars Seemed like a good idea, 16 Feb 2011
It did seem like a good idea, nifty looking, compact, environmentally friendly. Only it worked once and then didn't work again. After powering it up from the wall socket and charging a mobile once, the battery/solar panel failed to charge and seemed in fact to further drain my devices. I'm had a refund and not sure that I'm prepared to try again based on some other poor reviews (of the other colours available).

5.0 out of 5 stars if you work out side or away from home you want one!, 17 Nov 2009
N. Thompson - See all my reviews
the power monkey is awesome, very rugged and strong(I use my one under 150m of pressure in a diving chamber!). can be a little slow to charge up but if you can keep it charged itl keep all your toys working!
my only grumble is that some of the adapters arnt the best quality, namely the ipod charger. cant fault the actual unit itself though!
I know what most of my friends are getting for christmas this year!

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing product, 7 Jan 2010
J. Heffernan (UK) - See all my reviews
Very busy so a short review for an amazing product:

Product build quality: 100%

All parts, cases etc to very high standard.

Extras in box: 99%

Amazing selection. Google G1 / HTC dream charging tip not supplied (hence 99% only) but everything else is. Including sturdy zip-up case to keep it all in.

Performance: 100%:

Charged G1 from flat to full in approx 3h with 20% charge remaining in charger
Solar slave re-charged battery in 8h of UK January sun.

Support: 100%

Called to buy tip for G1; dial: 20 seconds then an answer: a human being: intelligent, helpful and knowledgable staff; item arrived in two days.

In this fast paced, programmed obselescence-led world; many(most)consumer products are simply not meant to last..at any price (why should they when we buy new ones all the time). But THIS ITEM IS DIFFERENT. The company is different. Well done guys; for only just short of 50 quid!

Thank you to PowerTraveller for this device; thankyou for taking time effort and sacrificing a bit of quick profit in order to give me this excellent, well thought out and well made bit of kit. If I would have had this device a few years ago my life in certain situations would have been made so much better....

If you travel and need to keep in touch .. just buy one.

Good luck.