on 4 May 2008
I was recommended this book by one of the UK's top Creative Director's. Having attended a creative briefing and evaluation workshop for two days this book was one on the reading list. It's been updated i believe from earlier editions to include more reference to digital channels which seems to sit well alongside the older example of classic VW ads. The basic premise there are some well established timeless rules that still apply. Know your audience, keep it simple, dare to be different and make it interesting. Even selling the most boring product on earth, if its serves a purpose for the consumer, the advertising doesn't have to suck!

A great read for anyone new to advertising, anyone who's been doing it for years and anyone keen to learn. To hear Luke Sullivan talk in person search for American Copywriter blog. He did an interview with the two guys that run that podcast each week in April 08. Worth a listen
on 14 August 2008
Occasionally, I've fallen into the low self-esteem trap of buying one of those 'how to' books (Rethink: How to Think Differently and The Ultimate Marketing Plan: Find Your Hook, Communicate Your Message, Make Your Mark are two particularly nasty examples) and regretted it.

Plus I ended up feeling like a sucker.

This is funny, it's useful and even if all you take away is fairly obvious (be creative, be different - this all takes a lot of time and perspiration) you'll enjoy it.

A 'how to' book that's both witty and modest.
on 1 March 2009
Interested in the ad game? Just starting out? Then read this book. It's simply the best book on making your way as an advertising 'creative', ever.
on 5 October 2011
Luke Sullivan has written one of the best adland books around. He writes a great blog too. And rumour has it he's currently working on a 2011 edition of this great book. I for one will be adding a copy to my bookcase to replace the copy I lent to a student and never got back.
on 8 February 2011
I approached this book as an interested outsider, I do not work in advertising.

I enjoyed reading it, but it did not seem to be very edifying. It is more of an unstructured collection of anecdotes and tips than a guide. And it is not as lively as the cover and blurb made me think.

Some of the tips did strike me useful. For instance, that the initial presentation of a concept might be deliberately rough and un-polished. That way, your client does not feel that all the decisions have been made, and they are locked out of the process. So, rough pencil sketches might be better than full-colour glossy pictures, to initially show the client.

But that sort of tip is the needle in the haystack in this book.

I suppose you could argue that this one tip on it's own would be worth far more than the price of the book if it helped me clinch a deal ... but I expected more from this book.
on 16 November 2012
This book is basically my 3 year advertising course (minus £35,000 a year) in 352 lovely little pages.

Brilliantly written an essential buy for anyone wanting to do anything in advertising.