on 4 November 2014
I spent weeks trawling the internet for reviews of various speaker options. I was focussing on Wharfedale because of their long standing reputation. I had the Diamond 9.1 as a starting point and then started to work up through Diamond 10.1s, 121s and the new 220s which have received a great review by What Hi Fi. I finally decided that although they were an 'old' design, I would go with the 9.1s as they were £99.95 with the price for each other generation increasing by £30 up to £200 for the latest Diamond 220.
I ordered these in a Walnut finish from the diminishing stock at Superfi and they were delivered within 1 x working day, with an excellent tracking service through DPD.
I was really impressed with the finish and quality of these speakers straight out of the box, and they sounded great on the first CD played (Shine On You Crazy Diamond (ironic?) from Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here). They are matched up with my old Denon DM5 micro system (ancient, but excellent, forerunner to the fantastic DM39, which I also have, in another room) and are a perfect match for this system.
The walnut finish is much darker than any of the photos I had seen and it is absolutely perfect for its subtle integration with the dark wood furniture in the room. The quality of finish is absolutely 1st class and exceeded my expectations.
These 'classic' Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s are an absolute bargain for just under £100 new and I wholeheartedly recommend them to anyone looking for a top class set of speakers to upgrade a system.

UPDATE - I have now invested in a pair of Atacama Duo 6 speaker stands which are a great match for the Diamonds and ensure they are at a consistent and appropriate height for listening. After a few weeks of use, these speakers really are getting better and better, and I am now hearing my existing music collection in a totally different way due to the greater detail and quality of sound from the Wharfedales.
on 2 September 2014
I have compared these to my friends' and family bookshelves - with the speakers side by side. They win hands down. Clear, well balanced sound, good mid tones, solid bass. Definitely a winner. One point to note though - despite being front ported, they do not like being enclosed or right against walls - the bass becomes a bit boomy. Something to expect of most speakers I guess.

Here's how they compared against:

the Dali Zensor 1's - the Zensors noticeably lacked bass when placed next to the 9.1's. They had slightly stronger mid and high tones - I believe this is the way they were designed- see "Dali Zensor 1 measurements" on Stereophile.com. The 9.1's mid and treble is less biased - my personal preference.

the Wharfedales 121's - more recent model with respect to the 9.1's. When placed next to the 9.1's they turned out to be a big disappointment - muffled, muddy sound. How did they get 5 stars in all the reviews ? Maybe the ones I listened to should not have made it past quality control.

Monitor Audio BX2's - the Monitors had less bass and comparable mid's and highs although the sound in the mid's seemed somehow suppressed and less spacious. Poor performance considering they cost 3x the price of the 9.1's.
on 6 September 2014
FANTASTIC BUILD QUALITY!! NO PLASTIC IN SIGHT!! Tight, punchy well driven speakers, that pick up Phat sub bass levels surprisingly well. Extremely well balanced across the range. Fantastic and dynamic, that are good across the range from "Breakcore" "Trap", "Acid House", "Rock" "Folk" & traditional "Classical" & "Solo Piano Contempory Classical"
These speakers know how to perform, and should be a part of every smaller sound system!
They also perform fantastically as part of a surround sound cinema system. I had them as rear stand mounted speakers. Top Marks. You won't get better speakers for under £100. In fact these are better than some speakers more than double this price!!
on 25 April 2013
What can I say - overall these speakers are quite simply breath taking.
I have bought these for my first proper system (before i have just owned second hand hifi separates and such from ebay) and these certainly complete it - beautiful build - heavy and with gold terminals at the back. The cabinets image the sound very well - in fact when i play music loud and put my hands on the cabinet i cannot feel the vibrations - all the energy is going where it is supposed to be. Even at low volumes they offer a powerful bass - i can feel it through my feet - and reproduce rock music very well. But where they really come into their own is with acoustic guitar music... just wow. With a warm, rich sound that is easy to drive this is a true bargain.
To note: I bought these from Superfi - impressive also - who sent these via courier on next day delivery for free. They came in impeccable condition and I reckon i'll get many years out of these things.

*update*
After a couple of weeks these sound even better than they did out the box. exerything works together wonderfully and i can play any music ranging from red hot chilis to black sabbath to mike oldfield or hans zimmer, it all sound wonderful. These speakers can go straight from sounding great playing hard rock, to sounding enthralling playing orchestral music, great job wharfedale!
on 10 November 2015
The sound was good from these. the bass was clearly present and the treble was clear but not to sharp.

The three stars is for the quality. One of the tweeters was making a scratching sound from the voice coil touching the magnet pole.

I would still recommend these speakers but do be aware of some factory defects especially from the tweeter.
on 12 June 2011
Got these to replace some ancient AR's and I'm not disappointed.I'm not in to the tech.data but these look great and sound fab.If you're looking for good quality speakers at a great price then these are the ones.
on 4 November 2015
Make no mistake, these are very good speakers. However, the reason I've given them four stars and not five is that, given their almost legendary reputation, I feel just a tiny bit disappointed by them. Let me explain...

I'm using mine with a Marantz PM6005 amp which I bought at the same time. The amp arrived first and, being the big child I am, I couldn't wait for the speakers to arrive and so I hooked the amp up to some cheap mass-produced Sony speakers I already had. I was amazed by the quality I got, even from those poor speakers, so I was uber-excited to try the amp with the Wharfdales. But, when I finally did get them home and hooked up, I felt a little let down. In fact, I almost preferred how the Sony speakers sounded to how these did. They just felt a bit flat, and I had to add quite a lot more treble to get them to sound bright enough, something which wasn't necessary at all with the Sony speakers.

Now, I will admit that at the time I didn't have proper stands or a shelf for the speakers, and they were also straight out of the box. So I reserved my judgement. I have now run them in for about 7 months (including a raucous house party where they were pushed VERY hard for about 7 hours), as well as building a custom solid wood speaker shelf for them to sit on. Happily, I can report that they sound much, much better now. The bass is tight, right down to bone-shaking sub-bass frequencies, in fact it's difficult to believe how much bass I get out of such small cabinets - it sounds as though I have a sub installed somewhere. The top end is definitely crisper now too, although I still have the treble on my amp turned up a bit to give that extra shine. So yes, they are very good, and my system sounds way better than most people's that I hear, even friends of mine who paid MUCH more than I did. Overall, I am satisfied.

But, I'm afraid that for me, they just lack something. These are some of the best speakers in their price bracket, and I bought them based on the multiple 5-star reviews from professionals and consumers alike. I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I can't help but feel just a little bit disappointed when my favourite classical, dance or jazz music is just missing that extra sparkle which I KNOW should be there.

Basically, they don't make me smile in the way that speakers, widely described as being at the top of their game, should.
on 1 November 2014
Bought these after several weeks of shopping around. considered MA bx2, kef q1's and revolvers. The reviews intrigued me to the point of having to try these little beauties out for myself. I have wall mounted these and run them through a denon dra545rd amp. What can i say about these? Firstly they will blow you away with the quality of sound these produce. They not only look fantastic but sound fantastic. bought solely for listening to my vinyl collection. pink floyd, doors, beatles, niel young ect. Im just stuck constantly in my conservatory listening over an over to these albums. I have not bi-wired them as others have as i am very pleased with the sound i already have from these. There is much debate on bi-wiring and after 30 years in the music industry i have never needed to bi wire a speaker. Seriously if you want a pair of really decent bookshelf speakers for under a £100 go grab a pair. Great frequency range, Bass is superb, in fact i have to turn the bass down on the amp as they are a little bass heavy for my liking. Superb top end. But dont run these through some cheapo amp. go for denon, marantz, nad ect. My other hifi set up in the living room is all top end technics with floor standing mission m74 speakers. Out of the 2 im more than happy to stay in the conservatory!
on 21 January 2015
I bought the speakers to company my Audio Technica ATLP120. They pair up beautifully. Personally I really like the Walnut finish. Black can be to harsh at times. The pictures here don't do the product justice. There so well made, The Walnut is a dark finish. Perfect!. The sound quality is mind blowing. I drive them with a old 'Rotel RA-01' Amp. It took me forever to choose this setup and couldn't be happier now. Best price found on amazon.
on 8 November 2014
I've never had decent amp and speakers before and I decided to treat my self with a Denon DM39DAB system and these Wharfedale speakers.What a terrific combination I've never heard music so pure and clear , I'm listening to my albums with a depth never realised before WOW. I've connected the Denon to the TV and the speakers sound better than my old sound bar.
Unbelievable sound for under £100 but I did splash out on decent speaker cable.