5.0 out of 5 stars Guess who's back, back again, Shady's back, tell a friend
Published on 22 May 2009 by Madonna Fan 1988

3.0 out of 5 stars Relapse
I bought this album for my son,on his say so its an ok album at an ok price.
Published on 28 Aug 2010 by J. Hutchinson

5.0 out of 5 stars Guess who's back, back again, Shady's back, tell a friend, 22 May 2009
This review is from: Relapse (Audio CD)
What a massive comeback album! From the fast-paced lyrical prowess of "3 a.m." to the almost pop-friendly "Crack a Bottle" which features rap heavyweights Dr. Dre and 50 Cent. Favourite songs on the album have got to be: "Hello", "Same Song & Dance", "Beautiful" and the first single "We Made You". Only disappointing factor on the album for me is the inclusion of "My Mom" - which, in my humble opinion, is a disatrous attempt from Slim Shady to verbally attack his mother (whether it's true or false what he sings). Worth buying definitely! Better than Encore and D12 World but nowhere near as a masterful and compelling as The Marshall Mathers LP. Long live you Em, you rule man!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for everyone, 22 May 2009
Rg Mercer - See all my reviews
This review is from: Relapse (Audio CD)
Having first really got into Em just before Encore I had to go backwards to experience his previous work. From then TSSLP became my favourite with TMMLP following just behind. I thought that the eminem show was good but not there with either of the 2 previous albums, however I felt that encore was as good as the eminem show.

This album is very similar to TSSLP in terms of Em's feelings and the way he expresses them, but for me RELAPSE cannot be compared to any of his other albums. It is mind blowing, terrifying, inspiring, homophobic and controversial all at the same time; but in a different way from the rest of his work.

RELAPSE is not for everyone, many long time slim shady fans will hate it and others will name it his best album he's ever made. Personally I think that this is an album worth of legendary status but that it will never achieve it due to its lack of chart toppers, a must buy for any Em or hip hop fan. One thing is for certain.

Slim Shady, Ken kaniff and Eminem are back; in that order.

5.0 out of 5 stars Guess Who's Back!, 11 May 2009
This review is from: Relapse (Audio CD)
I almost feel obliged to lay out my Eminem credentials before submitting this review. Like a great many, I was a huge fan until D12 World and Encore, both of which lost me with silly accents, juvenile subject matter and a fixation more on controversy and messing around than on creating great music. The first two singles didn't inspire me with much hope; 'Crack A Bottle' is a poor song, inflicting yet more Fiddy on us all and so radio friendly that the legends of rap must have been turning in their graves. 'We Made You' isn't much better, and it wasn't until '3AM' that I really started paying attention. I have no desire to run Eminem down for the sake of it, but I don't have any motivation to say he's great when he's not, either. I'll judge what he does on it's own merits. Besides, Eminem has traditionally released the worst songs first, and this time round is no exception.

First of all, let's discuss the production. Dre really shines on this release; the production values and beats are crisp and drives the album on. Fingers crossed the long-awaited Detox will be as easy on the ears as the production on this release. We're mercifully spared a long list of Shady/Aftermath artists so it avoids becoming a promo CD for the label's latest cash cows. We do have to endure 50 Cent reminding us all why we jumped ship after 'Get Rich', but other than that, it's just Dre on one other track and that's it.

Now, the all important question; has Em returned to the flow, the anger, the wordplay and the hook that got those with some roots in this game excited back in the day? The answer, yes and no. There are flashes of both persona's here. Yes, there are too many lyrics delivered in the ridiculous and unwelcome 'weird accent' thing he mistakenly thought was so funny throughout Encore. There's also moments during which he stretches too far to say something 'edgy' (come on - Hannah Montanna? It doesn't compare to dropping it on Moby when everyone loved him, for example). Tracks like 'My Mom' are a little try-hard too, as if he's trying to recreate the content, not just the spirit, of all those years ago.

Yet there are also moments of true brilliance here, too. 3AM is exactly the kind of opener I was hoping for; it takes no prisoners, it's clever, it paints imagery and Em's flow is insane. 'Hello' is reminiscent of 'I'm Back' from The Marshall Mathers LP, and tracks like 'Same Song and Dance' and 'Underground' are Eminem on top form. So the question becomes, can the occasional drops in standards be overlooked, or are they part of what is ultimately an inconsistent, but promising, return to the spotlight? Well, that's for you to decide. From my perspective? It's brilliant. Even the songs that don't grab you first time around grow on you on repeated play. If you can overlook the two first singles and tedious fodder like 'Must Be The Ganja', what you have here is a solid release from one of the best lyricists in the game. Crucially, the answer to the question on every discerning rap fan's lips is: yes. It is much, much better than Encore.

Relapse is Eminem giving us flashes of why he became as big as he did. Fortunately, there are more than enough flashes to make this not only worthwhile, but the return of someone who has long been missed.

5.0 out of 5 stars EMINEM - He`s back and at his very best, 24 Sep 2011
This review is from: Relapse (Audio CD)
This has to be Marshall`s best CD to date. The lyrics are classic and you feel every emotion possible when listening to this.

A must for every Eminem fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars A sort of Genius, 24 July 2011
Brian Elliott - See all my reviews
This review is from: Relapse (Audio CD)
I speak as someone of [ very close to ] pensionable age. I like medieval chorus music and Rachmaninov but ENINEM is a GENIUS - very dark and amazing lyrics and arrangements.

4.0 out of 5 stars Relapse - Not the best, but still enjoyable, 10 Aug 2009
ATM (Cotswolds, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Relapse (Audio CD)
If you get the chance to listen to it before hand, do so. By all the comments on here you'll either love it or hate it. My verdict...I'm not upset by buying it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Original, 18 May 2009
This review is from: Relapse (Audio CD)
Albums like this make you realise that there's so little originality in hip hop.

Eminem has been gone so long we havent had anything to compare current music to.

Eminems lyrics, flow and wordplay are absolutely unmatched. Yes he's rapping about drugs again but this is him speaking on his own experience, not only that he's fantastic at creating these fictional concepts and adding the perfect blend of humour.

His compound rhymes are brilliant like on on 'Same Song and Dance' where he rhymes 'I've been feeling you ooh ooh girl you sexy little gal you /
Hold that pill any longer it'll get sentimental value / Come-on toots, give me the valium alleyoop... / I'll slam dunk it in your mouth til you puke'.

The best song for me though is 'beautiful' where Eminem lays down the fact that as much as we know about him we still cant claim to really know or understand him, but he goes further and says this works both ways, he cant claim to really know anything about us and when all said and dont we all have our own challenges and if we walked in each others shoes for a while we'd understand.

Get the album, it's a keeper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 13 May 2009
L. Walsh "lukeyy" (london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Relapse (Audio CD)
Relapse is a great album. Dre's beats are off the hook! but the Song Beautiful produced by eminem is gotta be one of his best ever he wrote the first verse in rehab and finished it after, its up there with 'sing for the moment''mockingbird' and 'stan' - i don't know why everyone hates Encore i thought it was a good album songs like yellow brick road, crazy in love, and mocking bird are awesome!

other songs on relapse Medicine ball, and stay wide awake are genius plus the famous paul steve bernman and ken kannif skits are funny as usual..
watch out for insane which is dark but shows ems lyrical skill

but if you guys want lyrical stuff listen to Infinite eminem is a genius rhyming nearly everything xD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Em is back, 11 May 2009
D. Orme (UK) - See all my reviews
Relapse

For the reviewer above to state this album is just like encore makes me doubt he has even heard this album, its NOTHING LIKE ENCORE.
This is a dark, lyrical, offensive and powerful album, harking back to the marshall mathers lp and eminem show albums.
Dr Dre has produced the whole album bar one track, the excellent beautiful,which was produced by eminem himself, encore was a 2 out of 10, this is a 9/low 10.

standout tracks:
Beautiful
underground
old times sake
insane
bagpipes from baghdad (purely for the lyrics-you will see)

Every track bangs hard with dres production,the lyrical content will blow you away, eminem is on point with a dark message to convey.
Buy this album if you like eminems earlier stuff, if you liked encore-you wont like this.

one word, EPIC.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have!, 6 July 2014
This review is from: Relapse (Audio CD)
Okay, this will take a while to both write and read but I am going to explain what each track is like and my opinion (also a rating out of 5 for each track). Usually I wouldn't bother with reviews but I want to help people with deciding whether to buy it or not.
I'll start off by saying that there is not a track that I dislike on this CD, they are all great and lyrically genius, my top tracks would have to be (In order of the order on the CD) Bagpipes from Baghdad, Hello, Same Song & Dance, We Made You, Stay Wide Awake, Old Time's Sake, Déjà Vu and Beautiful. I'm a little disappointed that My Darling and Careful What You Wish For didn't make it onto the regular RELAPSE CD, but nonetheless still a great album!

First Em starts of with Dr. West (skit), a drug related skit (No surprise after his drug problem). In this skit Em meets with his rehab doctor (Dr. West) right before he's discharged (from Rehab). But things take a turn as Marshall realizes that there are still some hidden demons within him from the past (SPOILER ALERT) and then wakes up, realizing it was just a dream. I think this a great way to start off his album, showing you that he is still old Slim Shady full of hidden demons which jump upon you during each and every song, from 3 a.m. when Slim appears as murderous as ever to Underground where Marshall raps about how "rehab is for quitters". 4/5

Second is his first song and second official single on RELAPSE. In this song Eminem becomes his alter ego Slim Shady and raps from his point of view as he becomes a serial killer... and he killed this s**t (no pun intended). Perfect way to return to the rap game as Slim and show his not a changed man "Still Shady Inside" (Quote from Evil Twin). 4/5

No 3 on RELAPSE is My Mom, a long awaited record that Em promised to do "Make a Record about doing drugs and name is after her" (Quote from My Name Is). It claims how his drug habit stemmed from the fact that his mom forcefed him pills as a child. I personally think this is a better track than most people say it is, I think it's his worst track on this CD but i still really like it. He is a lyrical genius and I feel people don't respect this song enough. 2/5

4 is Insane, in this track Em alleges that his stepfather molested him (although he later claimed that this never really happened just that he made this song to gross people out, hate to tell you em but you've done better at grossing people out in earlier records). At first I disliked this song because of the theme, but then I listened closer to the lyrics and then appreciated the absolute lyrical skill used in this track. 4.5/5

5 is Bagpipes from Baghdad, This is a slight dis on Nick Cannon, but is aimed more so at his lasting lust for Mariah Carey. This song does (of course) have a 'familiar' theme of murder and drugs (a regular theme throughout Eminem's works, especially RELAPSE). This song is sang in a Middle-Eastern accent during the hook and at times in the chorus. I really like this track (especially the first verse) it is very clever, and he refers to 'true' scenarios throughout the song of things that have happened between Mariah and himself, also refers to a few horror movies too (another revisited theme throughout RELAPSE). 5/5

6 is Hello, This is him basically reintroducing himself to us and the rap game and he also talks about drugs, alcohol, b*****s, sex... Y'know, the usual. I love this song, very clever like every song on RELAPSE. You can't buy RELAPSE and not listen to Hello. 5/5

Then is no 7 Tonya (skit), the crazy Slim Shady attacks another victim again, this skit fits in with the next track... (3/5)

Which is track 8: Same Song & Dance, in this song em–wait I mean slim shady raps about raping three women: Tonya (Who we are introduced to in the last track), Lindsay Lohan (He raps about her in the second verse) and finally Britney Spears (In the last and final verse). This song has a great beat and very clever (You're going to hear 'very clever' a lot), yet explicit lyrics. (What do you expect from an Eminem song, and a song about raping as well) 5/5

Next is Song 9: We Made You, this song is quite a pop friendly song (As is at least one song on each of his albums) in the styling of The Real Slim Shady from The Marshall Mathers LP. Both amazing songs, I love original hip-hop, you cant beat it... But I gotta admit, Em does a f*****g good job at it (swearing to emphasize). 5/5

After is Medicine Ball which is track 10/20 on RELAPSE. I could sum this up in one sentence: Eminem (as Slim Shady) raps about gay serial killers, his addiction to sleeping pills, sitting on Madonna, and pushing Christopher Reeves into Quicksand. So yeah great song. We have a lyrical genius in our midst! I don't know anyone who could fit all this into a song and make it good! 4/5

11 is Paul (skit). Basically if you didn't know this already, Em features two reoccurring skits in every album (except sslp and before): Paul Rosenburg and Steve Berman. Paul is a Music Manager from Detroit, Michigan, US. He is most well known for his association with hip hop artists Eminem (of course), The Knux, DJ AM, pop punk band Blink-182 and Action Bronson. 3/5

No 12 is Stay Wide Awake, Eminem describes a series of rape fantasies, the dark side, and mutilation of women. It's a great track, probably my favorite (from RELAPSE), the last verse is very smart as it actually goes backwards if you look closely at the lyrics. A must-listen-to! 5/5

Track 13: Old Times's Sake feat. Dr. Dre. Eminem (as Slim) and Dr. Dre rap about their favorite pastime: smoking chronic. Oh and there are also planes and b*****s involved. I love the way Slim starts (the Intro) as a captain, or "f*****g captain" as he says. He is mocking/parodying the typical announcements that pilots give before takeoff; the plane is an allegory for smoking weed, as they both get "high". 5/5

14: Must be the Ganja. In a tradition stemming back to his earliest albums, Eminem is always sure to include a "drug song" for your party mixes. Even though he was sober for the recording of this, he has plenty of experiences to draw back on in order to make this song. 4/5

15 is Mr. Mathers (skit). I think this is an absolutely PERFECT way to introduce Déjà Vu! It is unbelievable clever and leads in well with the theme and... and... just EVERYTHING! Oh and for any Six Feet Under fans out there: you might recognise the voice of the "Male Medic" as Matthew St. Patrick, who played the (major) role of Keith. 5/5

Now is track 16 a.k.a. Déjà Vu. This is an all time favorite of mine, This was the first song that I liked on RELAPSE, and that was When I first got into Eminem, so it's a song that reminds me of 2009 whenever I hear it. It basically documents his overdose and what lead up to it. It is basically a trip into the mind of an addict. 5/5

Then is 17. Beautiful. Considered by both fans and critics as the strongest off RELAPSE, "Beautiful" is the only song Eminem actually recorded during the hiatus between albums ENCORE and RELAPSE when he was not clean. His emotions here are clear: The addiction to drugs are sinking him into depression, and he feels trapped, as if there is not escape. Rehab isn't proving particularly helpful at pulling him out of this mood, either. By the end of the track, however, Eminem expresses more optimism and hope for the future. 5/5

Track 18 is Crack a Bottle feat. legends Dr. Dre & 50 Cent! This song went on to win the Grammy Award for Best Performance by a Duo or Group in 2010. Before it's official release on iTunes (used to drum up hype for RELAPSE), a reference track leaked. It featured Eminem performing Dre's verse first, then his, both of them being very similar to the final cut. He then performs a 3rd verse, rumoured to be ghostwritten for 50 Cent, who appears on the final track albeit with a completely different verse. 4.5/5

No 19 is Steve Berman (skit). Basically if you didn't know this already, Em features two reoccurring skits in every album (except sslp and before): Paul Rosenburg and Steve Berman. Em is visiting Steve Berman, the Interscope Records CEO he shot in the skit on The Eminem Show. 3/5

Finally is track 20: Underground. This song is a gem which is largely unappreciated, from and also (and equally) largely unappreciated album. Em uses this song to make a point: "Rehab is for quitters"!!!!!!! 4/5

So overall a great album 4.25/5. Definitely recommend buying!

Relapse
Relapse by Eminem (Audio CD - 2009)