4.0 out of 5 stars Very good product - does what you want it to do
I am no computer expert, and will give a review as a person with intermediate PC skills.

I personally had a bad experience with Dazzle, when I used one of their devices about 5 years ago, and noticed the sound and picture was out of sync. I can confirm this Dazzle is very good and allows perfect sound and video synchronisation.

1. I used a Dell...
Published on 2 Feb. 2009 by Bobby Bangher

1.0 out of 5 stars I wasn't 'Dazzled', I was frazzled!
First of all, let me assure you, I am highly computer literate. Not one of these people who couldn't get the thing to work because I don't know how to use a computer.

The software that comes with this item is Pinnacle Studio - one of the slowest installing programs I have ever had the displeasure of installing. It hangs for so long that you think it is not...
Published on 21 Feb. 2012 by Techsavvy

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good product - does what you want it to do, 2 Feb. 2009
Bobby Bangher (Watford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pinnacle Dazzle Video Creator Platinum (CD-ROM)

1. I used a Dell Inspiron laptop and Samsung DVD -6800 VHS/DVD Combi player. My sole intention was to back up old VHS tapes, even those which were worn out, or had no protective covering for the last 10 years.

2. If you want to use this product to back up your old VHS, this will work! Simply try to use a connection of 'red, white and yellow' directly into the dazzle. The programme included, Studio version 11, does the trick, and will instantly recognise the capture device.

3. While you are playing/recording, you may notice a line at the bottom of the screen. This is like a mini reflection, but this is only visible on your computer while using the software. While this is a little annoying, once you make your MPEG 2 to DVD, and play it on your DVD player, there is no line at the bottom, so the transition is perfect from your VHS player.

4. BE MINDFUL! that your VHS footage, in comparison to your modern day AVI/DVD footage, is going to look worse because VHS is poor in general, and you are likely to have a 50 inch TV in your lounge these days, which will highlight even more how bad VHS used to be as a format. Also, the footage tend to be quite smooth (maybe as the result of a higher frame rate), but the 'reds' do tend to be a bit sharp, but otherwise it is a great transition from VHS to DVD.

5. You have the option to connect via S-Video. I tried this initially, but did not seem to work. This may be because I need to get a different type of connection, but trying it via a SCART to S-video adapter did not work.

Based on this, and having only purchased a few days ago, I will give it 4 out of 5 stars. The only reason why I have downgraded is because once you make it into a DVD, the included software (Instant DVD Recorder), I found to be a bit user unfriendly, as I could not capture the footage using other software programs such as Nero or Sony Vegas. However, once you make into an MPEG 2 file, you can use any other programme you wish to. My preference is for Sony Vegas, and I made the DVD with ease and was pleased with the results.

Hope this helps!

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy with mine - eventually, 15 April 2009
This review is from: Pinnacle Dazzle Video Creator Platinum (CD-ROM)
I wanted to use this capturing VHS tapes with Vista laptop which was just over min spec, plenty of memory but dual core 2.1ghz processor. That took a little tinkering to capture at full quality. For reference, my 4 year old XP P4 3.2ghz desktop computer gobbled up the VHS videos and spat out top quality captures without missing a beat. If you've got an XP machine close to min spec you should have no problem. A Vista machine with a little higher than min spec, again should be fine. If you know what's going on in the background with Vista then min spec too will work, as mine did.
What you get in the box is:-
1- Pinnacle Studio version 11.12 - the last version of 11. It does not need updating to work with Visa.
2- Instant DVD recorder installs from same disc, version 2. There is an update to version 2.61 available - I got it but shouldn't have.
3- The bonus DVD in the box is full of effects you have to pay for - save yourself an hour of your time installing then uninstalling it, throw it away.
4- 2 more discs in the box containing 'Scorefitter' allowing you to sync music in time to any movies you are creating/editing - I didn't bother with.
After uninstalling that 2.61 recorder update, sticking with version 2 from the box and disabling my anti virus automatic updating service in the background, everything worked at full quality. Sounds easy but it took me a while to pin them down. Out of the box software is Vista fine as it is.
The capture process with Studio 11 is simple and effective. With Instant recorder it's even easier but I don't capture straight to dvd. To gauge the capture quality I needed so my files were at least as good as the original VHS tapes I plugged the video player into a big LCD flatscreen and played the tapes. Then I experimented with all types of capture settings. You don't need to capture at full quality DVD as that quality isn't there in your tapes in the first place. The Dazzle can't do magic! Most VHS tapes are also not the widescreen 16.9 aspect ratio but I wanted to fill the screen nevertheless. After exhaustive experimenting ;) I found 2 settings provided perfect results, smoother to my eyes than the original.
1- The preset medium mpeg capture(SVCD 480x576 quality as the dazzle calls it)captured at 16.9 aspect ratio in first option box. This plays full screen smoothly without changing your telly's display mode if it's left at the normal 16.9 setting you watch DVD's with
2 - Custom avi capture in DivX 720x576 @ 2000kbs 25fps - whether you choose 4.3 or 16.9 in capture settings didn't change the fact that it displays a 4.3 aspect ratio on TV for me. Viewing on a PC allows you control over the DivX codec to display it widescreen, on the telly you generally have no control over the DivX codec your device uses. Changing your telly's aspect ratio to 4.3 then setting the 'pan and scan' option almost fills the screen. The DivX is slightly better quality in my view but the preset SVCD setting is the one I use as it plays full without touching anything being more than good enough.
Those are settings for viewing on a TV assuming you have a way to play mpegs and DivX files on your telly. Both settings give nearly identical file sizes @ approx 1.4GB per 90 mins film. (For reference a 'best' quality DVD capture gives you a 4GB file at least, in my view with no benefit).
You can go much smaller with settings/file sizes - maybe you'd be happy viewing them on your PC, on a 37" LCD and over TV - they are blocky and artifact ridden.
To finish, if anyone is still reading, the dazzle works with other software.
H.P's Quickplay (home videos only - commercials are recognised as protected)
And capturing video through dazzle but audio through line in/mic socket (Both home & commercial tapes fine)
Ulead Video Studio
Windows Movie maker
Freebies
Stoik Video capture
WM9 capture
Virtual Dub

I need to get out more - I know

4.0 out of 5 stars Good... but needs download of drivers for Windows 7, 6 Sept. 2010
Michael Herbert (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pinnacle Dazzle Video Creator Platinum (CD-ROM)
I needed a method to rip DV tape home movie footage into a digital format... I settled on giving Pinnacle Dazzle Platinum a go and have been pleasantly surprised by the results...

Set-up time is quite long with a number of programs and video editing effects to load-up from disc and I had to overcome the issue of the supplied software not having a driver for Windows 7 - this was remedied by locating the Windows 64-bit driver from the Pinnacle website.

With everything up and running then all I did was to plug the Pinnacle device into the USB, plug my old DV camera into the Pinnacle device and open up the 'rip' software, choose the quality of encoding and the required time, synchronise the recording and the playback of the old tape and away it worked...

All I need now ist to find the time to encode all the rest of the tapes!

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job but requires careful setting up, 18 Sept. 2008
S. Smith "sitorimon" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Pinnacle Dazzle Video Creator Platinum (CD-ROM)
I'd been thinking of getting one of these for an age but everyone's polarised reviews put me off completely. Then a few weeks ago I took the plunge as I needed it for a business venture as well as recording myself playing games.

All the dazzles appear to be the same device with different software so it doesn't matter too much which one you get - its more down the cables you buy in addition to your dazzle (they sadly don't tell you that when you buy it that you need more cables) which seems to effect the quality.

Depending on what cables you use (generally a double ended RCA cable and 3 Y Splitter AV cables [1 male to 2 female]) depends on how much lag you get. You can plug in camcorders and your TV and literally press "Start Capture" and it will record but if your recording yourself playing games you cannot just connect your console as there is about a seconds delay before you see what's happening on your PC. That's where the additional cables come in.

The software that's bundled with it is great if your looking to go into great detail with video editing but if not, you can use the Dazzle with Windows Movie Maker and the end result is fine.

What the Dazzle does is great (and if you want 60FPS there's a patch I believe) but just remember to set it up properly for what your using it for.

5.0 out of 5 stars pinnacle dazzle video creator platinum review, 21 Jun. 2009
blossomchops (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pinnacle Dazzle Video Creator Platinum (CD-ROM)
this is a good product and works as good as one from anywhere else. If you want to record in colour from an xbox 360 then you will need to download Amcap because; this product does not record in colour with out Amcap. It is easy and safe to download and you can see tutorials of how to use it on YouTube

5.0 out of 5 stars Pinnacle Dazzle * Video Creator Platinum DVC100, 28 Jun. 2009
K. W. Fung (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pinnacle Dazzle Video Creator Platinum (CD-ROM)
There is some confusion between online product names for the Dazzle * Video Creator Platinum. Some have it listed as DVC170, which is actually a similiarly packaged product, but contains different hardware. This review is for the one listed here, the DVC100.

The major visible difference is the DVC170 is a silver coloured case instead of the black case that you see in the product image for this one. Although I do not personally know the actualy technical differences between the DVC170 and DVC100 (this product), I do know that this DVC100 is like the DVC170 able to capture PAL60 with colour via the use of a downloadable program (You can find this via seraching for the Pinnacle Dazzle DVC170 and the word PAL60 in a search engine). So those who are searching for a way to capture PAL60 videos will find this product to be just what are looking for.

One further plus of this particular product, is that Pinnacle have a *beta* 64bit driver available on their website that will function with the DVC100 (this product) but currently will not with the DVC170. And from what has been reported and talked about, the Pinnacle driver engineers do not appear to have a 64bit driver in mind for the DVC170 for the forseeable future (as of June 2009). So for those with a newer 64bit Operating System and computer setup, this DVC100 will be the better choice between the two (DVC170 and DVC100).

Technical usage aside, the installation of this device is quick and easy. Installation of the software is required first, once completed, it is merely a matter of plugging in the USB cable to the computer and launching the Studio package that you installed. Capture quality is considered to be of a good quality (especially if you are capturing from a VHS VCR) so long as you have a clean VCR unit. Colours are bright and close to original quality even on PAL60 (NTSC colours on a PAL unit).

The video is captured and can be stored in a variety of formats and is changable for your own hardware and capture requirements. So your captured video can be utilised in other editing programs if you have access to them instead of the one supplied. If you need to use the supplied software, you will find that it is quite simple to use, although some of the more advanced effects you might want to try to apply might be available for a short trial time only, or needs to be purchased first. However, most of your video capturing and editing needs should be easily catered to via their existing software and their offered upgrade options.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 27 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Pinnacle Dazzle Video Creator Platinum (CD-ROM)
use this as a capturecard for my xbox360, works very well captures in HD, recomend very good

5.0 out of 5 stars Does everything it says and easily, 27 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Pinnacle Dazzle Video Creator Platinum (CD-ROM)
On recieving this I was worried following previous reviews regarding set up how wrong I was to worry, following installation of the software I found myself making perfect copies of my old Hi8 tapes to my pc in no time at all with no problems. I give this product a major thumbs up. I am using Microsoft Vista Home Premium.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does What You Want It To, 29 July 2011
This review is from: Pinnacle Dazzle Video Creator Platinum (CD-ROM)
I bought this product because I recently created a YouTube gaming channel and wanted to record gameplay for it. I can't afford stuff like a Hauppauge HD PVR so I went with Dazzle. This product is working well for me, it did however give me a bit of grief when it kept telling me no valid AV Signal could be detected and I spent a good few days trying to work out how to fix the problem, but I got there in the end with some help from the YouTube community. This device can only record in SD and this is fine as rendering and HD conversions make it look very good but the annoyance is that you also have to play in SD or it won't record (this is not just me it's the case with every Dazzle Capture Card) and so games like Gears of War and Crysis are painful to play as graphics in games like those are too good to suffer being played in SD. If this wasn't the case I'd record every multiplayer game I ever play but the fact that I have to play in SD is a huge inconvenience but it's not a deal-breaker as it is OK to play for 10 minutes or so in SD, just wish the games had Theatre Mode so I can play in HD and just record the match later in the Theatre. I give this product a 7/10 because it does what you want it to do and comes with good software (Pinnacle Studio Plus) but having to play in SD as well as the times it's failed on me knock it down a few points.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dazzle, 4 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Pinnacle Dazzle Video Creator Platinum (CD-ROM)
Arrived nice and fast installed the cd plugged in the dazzle worked first time with my ps3 and it recorded in full colour . you will need to mess with the settings to get the best quality but once you do its worth it.

it even allows me to play my ps3 on my pc monitor with zero screen lag . all tho the equality it transfers the video at to my monitor is not the best by far.

Overall its easy to use and set up and does exactly what i purchased it for .

Pinnacle Dazzle Video Creator Platinum
Pinnacle Dazzle Video Creator Platinum by Avid (Windows Vista / XP)