5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant
Published on 1 Aug 2008 by T. Knight

3.0 out of 5 stars ...front loaded but promising indie art rock...
I've been in a state of flux and indecision about Johnny Furriner, ever since I first encountered their scratchy indieness, albeit one infused with some good and proper riffs. I still think they veer to far over into the world of ooh, see me, I'm an arty rocker, me, but, damn them, they do have some good tunes.

So, let's take a quick look at some of the good...
Published on 13 May 2008 by Mr. H

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 1 Aug 2008
T. Knight - See all my reviews
This review is from: Waited Up Til It Was Light (Audio CD)
brilliant. I've had this for a couple of months now and love it. My favourite album of 2008 so far. Most of the songs are loud, very frenetic, energetic and maybe a bit messy, which Johnny Foreigner are masters at. The energy is mainly due to the brilliant guitar but the drums are also brilliant and really energetic. The drummers kit actually only has a bass drum, snare, hi-hat,floor tom and 1 cymbal(crash-ride or ride-crash) so many of his fills are short fast snare fills which he's brialliant at and really add to the energy. There are also some great sounding grooves played using rims. Alexei's(frontman) voice I've heard referred to as 'squawking' and Kelly may shout often but their voices combine brialliantly with each other and the music. Johnny foreigner have the best vocals I have heard for ages (personally-it may be an acquired taste)

Although on some songs you hear them quieter and more melodic (salt, peppa + spinderella;our bipolar friends intro;eyes wide terrified at points etc) which they do brialliantly. The eyes wide terrified intro is beautiful. When quiet you can really appreciate Alexei's and Kelly's great voices.

The very best songs are at the beginning and middle of album but I still like the tracks near the end. Dj's get doubts I found rubbish at first but it's grown on me a bit. Although it feels totally out of place compared to the rest of the album as it's acoustic. I feel it was a poor song choice for the album as although it adds a bit of variety and gives your ears a bit of a break Johnny foreigner can do quiet/calm superbly unacoustically (like 'This Band Is Killing Us' on the EP). Sometimes in the bullring is good and yr all just jealous I like but does pale in comparison to some of the other great songs. Absolute Balance would be a perfect finish and makes the hidden track unnecessary even though it's decent. The first 8 songs are abosolutely fantastic. Love the lyrics to. A superbly promising new band. I would give it 4 and 1/2 stars as its not perfect but I can't so I'll have to give it 5 as it's too good to be 4

5.0 out of 5 stars An Utterly Fantastic Pop Album, 16 May 2009
C. Skinner (Glasgow, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Waited Up Til It Was Light (Audio CD)
Johnny Foreigner write 3 minute indie pop nuggets that they rattle through with all the enthusiasm of a child in a sweet shop.

The songs are bittersweet tales of almost twee indie, but the guitar riffs and out and out effort make this a wonderful album.

Sure, they are not doing anything original, but what they are doing is done remarkably well. The first seven tracks are as strong as any album released in the last few years.

An excellently crafted album of great quality pop-rock. Highly recommended and a very enjoyable listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Exciting!, 20 Dec 2012
This review is from: Waited Up Til It Was Light (Audio CD)
I first saw Johnny Foreigner supporting another band in a small venue and was blown away by the energy they brought to their performance. I had never seen a drummer drumming and playing synth at the same time before which I thought was amazing. Definitely one of the most exciting bands I have seen live!
"Waited up til it was light" is a clear demonstration of this energy and excitement. There are so many stand out tracks on this album it would be pointless to list them, "Our bipolar friends" and "Salt, peppa and spinderella" are personal highlights. Mixed in with the energy though, are some beautifully stripped back songs, "DJ's get doubts" as one example, which show that this band have something different to offer.

All in all, this album is one of my favourites in a long while and well worth a listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars A true gem, 13 Jun 2011
Whilst still relatively unknown in their native country, this Birmingham indie power-pop trio know how to write good songs,the instant access tunes being memorable, upbeat and catchy. This album is a great starting point for anyone interested in the music of Jofo.You can, of course, download individual tracks from Amazon if you need a quick taster.Try 'Salt, Peppa and Spinderella' for example.Or 'Criminals' from the follow up album,'Grace and the bigger picture.'

Love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing album, 30 Dec 2008
J. Robinson (Bath UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Waited Up Til It Was Light (Audio CD)
one of my favourite albums. Also good band live so go see em if you get the chance.

3.0 out of 5 stars ...front loaded but promising indie art rock..., 13 May 2008
Mr. H "Mr H" (Embra) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Waited Up Til It Was Light (Audio CD)

So, let's take a quick look at some of the good songs, just to make sure I'm not just making it all up. Well, there's always the single that was 'Our Bipolar Friends', which pretty much sums up Johnny Furriner in one three minute burst. Then there is 'The End And Everything Else', which is fabulously arranged and layered. They go all poppy on 'Salt, Pepa & Spinderella' to good effect, and a bonus point for the shout out to Spinderella, the sadly forgotten third member of Salt 'n' Pepa.

Things I do not like include the dull as ditchwater 'DJs Get Doubts', which is just plain boring, as is 'Yr All Just Jealous', and the smart pants 'The Hidden Song At The End Of The Album' which isn't hidden in the slightest ends the album on a downward spiral.

Actually, the album does fade away rather badly with all the really top tunes loaded at the front. However, when they get the whole male / female vocal conjoining just right, it's a treat to listen to. But, it could easily have been trimmed down to a ten track CD for greater listening pleasure. I'm still not convinced that they have fully developed, but their debut does hold out hope for greater things.

5.0 out of 5 stars Took a while to get into, but I love it, 12 May 2008

11. Yr All Just Jealous
12. Absolute Balance
13. The Hidden Song At The End Of The Record

Waited Up Til It Was Light
Waited Up Til It Was Light by Johnny Foreigner (Audio CD - 2008)