on 30 July 2004
After the formidable "No Second Chance" I just had to check out Coben's latest release. My lovely looking hardback arrived and sat on the 'waiting to be read' shelf for a few weeks before I finally found the time to open the front cover.
360 pages and an entire afternoon later the book was complete and I was exhausted. Not just because I'd spent almost the best part of a day reading, but this book is one hell of a roller-coaster that will keep you guessing and second guessing right until the end.
Throughout the course of the book you'll be introduced to a range of characters, none of which you will be entirely certain about and your opinion will undoubtedly change time and time again. The book moves along at a relentless pace and is sure to keep the reader engrossed right until the story finally ends.
The plot has a lot more depth to it than you would first appreciate, and offers a lot more than the normal blurb would suggest. The people, places and scenarios are wonderfully descriptive and there are a number of plot twists and surprises in store for the lucky reader when they take time to indulge themselves in what is undoubtedly one of the best reads this year!
If you've taken in any of Harlan Coben's other titles and enjoyed them then this will be all you want and more. If you've never taken the time to read any of Coben's books before, open yourself up to one of the best thriller novelists available, with "Just one look" as good a place to start as any!
Highly, Highly, Highly recommended! :)
on 16 October 2005
When Grace Lawson finds a mysterious picture mixed in with her newly developed family pictures she thinks that it was a simple mistake, that someone else's picture got mixed in with hers. Until she realizes that one of the men in the picture is her husband and that the photograph in question was taken at least fifteen years ago. After Grace confronts her husband with the picture he suddenly flees their home leaving Grace and their two children with a lot of questions. When the police wont help her, Grace must dig into the past and find a way to bring her husband home but as she soon finds, there are so many secrets in both her and her husband Jack's past that their whole marriage may be based on a lie.
With a dangerous killer after her and others looking to unearth the mystery of that photograph Grace must race against time and look deeply into not only her husbands past but her own as well in order to uncover the truth and stop this killer before he harms Jack, herself and most importantly her children.
`JUST ONE LOOK' kept me up late into the night trying to finish this fast paced thriller. And while I highly recommend, well anything by Harlan Coben really, I did not give `JUST ONE LOOK' my usual Coben five star rating. This is because there was so much going on in the last 30 pages or so that it got a little jumbled. Nonetheless, this is definitely another great novel by Coben, 4 stars!
on 15 April 2007
Having read a couple of Michael Connelly books I read a review which recommended Harlan Coben. So this was the first of his books that I picked up. I found this book really easy to read and was gripped almost from the start. I wont go into the story line as others have before me but I felt that I really connected with Grace and, having had children of my own, would know what a mother would do to protect them.

An Excellent read! Harlan Coben has me hooked. Almost finished the Innocent and then making a start on my first Myron Bolitar.

Highly recommended
on 21 June 2004
When a mysterious photo appears in Grace Lawson's holiday snaps she is completely unprepared for the effect it will have on her life. It's an old photo and one of the people in it looks a lot like her husband, even though he denies it's him. However, when her husband disappears, the only thing she can think of that may be related is the photo.
What ensues is a desperate hunt for Grace's husband. But he can only be found by working out the significance of the mysterious photo and the identities of the people pictured in it. To add to the terror is the presence of an assassin named Eric Wu, first introduced to scare the pants off us in TELL NO ONE. Eric Wu is a martial arts expert, specialising in incapacitating or killing his victims simply by attacking pressure points on the body. He is a man completely devoid of emotion, effectively a killing machine and a formidable opponent. He has been hired to eliminate the people in the photo and it looks as though nothing's going to stop him.
Harlan Coben has once again produced a thrill-ride of a book with unexpected twists, unlikely heroes and an unusual outcome at the end. His new speciality of books about marriages in which secrets come back to haunt the spouses is continued here and it works just as well her as it did in his first stand-alone, TELL NO ONE.
on 4 January 2007
It's amazing what can happen in one night. 15 years ago Grace Lawson was crushed in a mass panic during a rock concert. Now she has stumbled across an old photo that shows her husband with a group of people all who have gone missing or died. With her husband suddenly disappearing Grace realises that the photo has come back from the past to haunt them. Can she uncover the mystery behind the photo and the events that occurred so long ago?

This is the first Harlan Coben book that I have read and I really enjoyed it. It was very fast paced and there were plenty of twist in the tale to keep you entertained. The main female characters are great and Grace in particular lets you understand what a mother would do to protect her family.

Problems do occur due to the amount of people in the book and the continuous twists and reflections to past events. However, Coben handles these complex matters with enough skill to see the reader through with the minimum of confusion. For fans of slightly light weight but fun thrillers I recommend this book.
on 24 April 2005
Typical Harlan Coben fare with a plot that twists and turns with every chapter, leading the reader down all manner of false alleys and cul-de-sacs by the hundredweight.
Any reader familiar with Coben's style will be well used to the outrageous and slightly unbelievable characters that inhabit his worlds, and this book is no different with a veritable menagerie of the outlandish and the bizarre. What has always in the past made these caricatures work is their snappy dialogue and slick wit. Sadly in this book I found these sections lacking and some of the characters simply became cartoon figures and therefore sad and laughable.
Coben has also used in this book a character from one of his previous offerings, Eric Wu, and also makes nods in the direction of charcters from his Bolitar series of books. Some readers might enjoy this meeting of people from the past, for me though I found it lazy and didn't add anything.
The plot as well seemed to suffer from a slight sense that Coben is going through the motions. At times the story is so interwoven and threaded together that it became that little bit too contrived and fantastic.
Really I guess this was the problem with the book for me. I'm always happy to dispend belief when reading a Coben, but this one was simply that little bit too far fetched and too unbelievable. Whilst still being a good read and great entertainment I found his earlier books like Tell No-One and Gone for Good much better.
I love Harlan Coben's books. I can't put them down once I pick them up. Although I miss Myron Bolitar, I still love all of the other books that Coben writes.
Coben's books get better and better, this one being no exception. I bought it on a Saturday and finished it by Sunday lunch time. With every book Coben writes there is a twist in the tail at the end. I sometimes wonder if I read his books just to get to the twist at the end (fear not I have no intention of telling you the twist).
It's a book that's hard to explain as the story interweaves with lots of levels that for it's complexity is so easy to read. Picture appears, husband disapears, the underworld are involved and things get more and more messy by the page.
Read it, it'll leave you breathless.
He does keep churning them out...
In this one a wife finds a mysterious photo from her husband's past. Whenhe asks him about it he vanishes and suddenly all sort of nasty thingsbecome to happen as the past starts to catch up with the present.
Thereis no such thing as a bad Coben book and this is a good page turnerbut for the first time I managed to guess one or two of the plot twists. Either I am getting used to the authors's style or thtis is not quite upto his usual high standards. This is still a good thriller but judged bywhat has gone previously, for me it is a three star and not a four stareffort.
on 6 May 2004
The first Harlan Coben book I read was no second chance and from then on I've been hooked, I tend not to like books with recurring characters, but Myron and Win have grown on me!! This book isn't a Bolitar novel, but it is fantastic. It is fast-paced, unpredictable and unputdownable! The lead character Grace has a rollercoaster ride of emotions in her quest to find her missing husband Jack, all of which are believable, but the book still manages to keep you guessing right until the last few pages. I thoroughly recommend this book to any reader, Coben fan or not. To sum it up it is the kind of book you miss when you have finished it (if that makes sense!)
on 17 June 2004
I love Harlan Coben books and couldn't put this one down, the story seems rather simple to begin with although it really hooks you despite this.
I found that the book trailed off a bit in the middle where nothing was really revealed and there appeared to be nothing to drive the book on but despite the lull the book then picked up right to the end... Well almost..
I was about 50 pages from the end when i suddenly thought.. "is that it?" 20 pages later Harlan Coben puts in a most refreshing twist and you think "I didn't see that coming!". The twist (without giving too much away) is not the normal happy ending but is something that once you've read it you feel as though that was how it should be rather than the sugar coated ending he could have tried to make us endure and the book is all the better for it!
I can't wait for the next one!