5.0 out of 5 stars Return To Splendour!
Can you ever really have enough Billy Idol? Seriously...
Published on 4 July 2008 by Rebeca Thorvund

3.0 out of 5 stars The Very Best of Billy Idol
As with far too many retrospective CD compilations this has a disappointing lack of audio impact compared with the original vinyl.
Published 7 months ago by D. Bayntun Welch

5.0 out of 5 stars Return To Splendour!, 4 July 2008
Rebeca Thorvund (San Jose, California United States) - See all my reviews
Can you ever really have enough Billy Idol? Seriously...
At long last, a career-spanning audio visual delight in one handy package. Not a moment too soon, because my "Vital Idol" VHS tape from 198-ahem! is getting quite worn out, and of course is an incomplete collection. And because Billy really, truly loves us, he's given us two fantastic new songs: "John Wayne" and "New Future Weapon". As he proved on 2005's "Devil's Playground", Billy is back and better than ever.
The soundtrack of an era. Timeless musical gems. As rockin' today as when they were written. Hands down, bloody great songs. This is all true. As for the videos, they are incredibly enthralling short films - of course we'd expect nothing less from the original superstar of MTV's golden age. Watching the videos again in chronological order sent chills up and down my spine.
Speaking of golden age, is it really possible that our beloved Billy turns 53 this year? He remains as impossibly beautiful as ever and his live show must be seen to be believed. Billy puts artists half his age to shame. He sounds incredible and is, as always, the consummate performer. I've seen every tour since 1987 and continue to be blown away. (He's on tour now!)
Buy this collection and get reacquainted or introduced...either way, you'll be instantly hooked and shouting (wait for it...) MORE! MORE! MORE!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great dvd and the cds not bad either., 27 Oct 2008
Mr. L. C. Button "ashend10" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
At last, all the classics are on dvd. After watching the video to "L.A.Woman" back in 1990 I have been trying to find it somewhere, anywhere. David Fincher's vision of a very decadent L.A. still captivates. Billy sings the lyrics surrounded by flickering flames, drives a black ferrari to a club and then pursues a leggy super model. And the songs not bad either. "White Wedding" must be one of the most memorable videos from the eighties. The church setting, the dancers in black catsuits, the bike smashing through the window and the balletic bride herself are all memorable. It is all very eighties glam punk but still very watchable.

The cd has all the hits and two exclusive tracks. But "John Wayne" and "New Future Weapon" do not have the edge or replay value of the early classics - the man is getting older after all. For the definitive Idol audio experience may I recommend Whiplash Smile. Also, Vital Idol has extended mixes and remixes of some of the early classics.

Many may consider Billy Idol to be a dinosaur from a bygone musical age. My response to them would be so what? Billy Idol has always taken his craft seriously, the early hits will still be played in decades to come and the punk/rock/rebel image is still entertaining. For any fan or anyone new to the delights of Mr Idol, The Very Best Of Billy Idol: Idolize Yourself is probably essential.

5.0 out of 5 stars CD and long overdue DVD of the videos, 21 Sep 2009
Mr. G. P. Clarke (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
There is a CD in this pack, I hav'nt used it, so can't comment on it. The main thing is the DVD, which is the only way you can have Billy Idol videos on DVD. You could buy "the Clips", but you will be sorry about the disapointing sound. However the videos on this DVD are crystal clear in sound and picture, and it's a real pleasure to return our favorite rocker onto our screens in modern hassle free quality. Just buy it, I'm sure you'll be very pleased, well recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Very Best of Billy Idol, 9 Sep 2013
D. Bayntun Welch (London, England) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent hits album!, 22 Jun 2013
ReviewBlog51 (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Very Best Of Billy Idol: Idolize Yourself (Audio CD)
I made the mistake of buying the single CD version of 'The Very Best Of Billy Idol', unaware that there is also a two disc CD/DVD set, containing the awesome music videos of the songs that are well worth watching. However, in terms of a single greatest hits collection - this is excellent.

All of the classic punk rock tracks from the 1980s are here, including the instantly recognisable 'Rebel Yell', 'White Wedding', 'Dancing With Myself' and 'Hot In The City', all fun and well written songs. This CD spans Billy's entire career, making it a great introduction to new fans, but with the inclusion of two excellent brand new tracks: 'John Wayne' (which sounds just as good as any of his earlier material and fits in well with the other songs) and the hard rocking 'New Future Weapon', it has something fresh and exciting to offer long-term fans as well.
With superb remastering, this CD is a perfect combination of irresistible 1980s nostalgia and great classic rock - with songs that are impossible not too sing along to. It avoids any filler that are usually mixed in with such compilations of established and accomplished artists, and instead focuses on the cream of Billy's output.

I will now have to spend the same amount of money on the two disc set - but it will defiantly be worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic fun for every one, 28 Feb 2013
someone (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Very Best Of Billy Idol: Idolize Yourself (Audio CD)
I went to see Billy at 'Heaven' in London in my youth and he was one of the best performers I've ever seen. Now, whenever any one of us needs a lift we put it on and dance.

4.0 out of 5 stars our idol, 28 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Very Best Of Billy Idol: Idolize Yourself (Audio CD)
It takes you back , all of his classic tracks . A time when rock really rocked , get out the air guitar and enjoy .

4.0 out of 5 stars Hot in the City!, 12 May 2012
Tim Kidner "Hucklebrook Hound" (Salisbury, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Very Best Of Billy Idol: Idolize Yourself (Audio CD)
Other reviewers mention a DVD, I only got the CD with my purchase and Amazon have kindly flagged up 'verified purchase' against it, so it must been the one I ordered.

Nevertheless, Billy Idol for me will always be Hot in the City, bringing back memories of urban youth-dom. White Wedding, I loved, too, its rocky anthemic seeming just a bit TOO dirty for such a wedding....Eyes Without A Face is also a cool, sultry number that I like very much.

I know for many it was his slicked spiky blonde hair and tight leather trousers that did it for them. For me, he had just the right side of leering, cocky confidence that didn't spill over into egotism. However, I never bought any music of his until this CD compilation, bought when poring through online sites such as Amazon.

I wanted a basic compilation that had all the songs I knew and one at reasonable cost. Hopefully I'd get a few more tracks unknown to me that I'd like too. One that I'd actually play all the way through and not just the first few hits. In many ways, isn't that all one can really ask of a Best Of? I certainly got that with this CD. Highly recommended for those in the same boat as me.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars mainly for the dvd, 19 Jun 2008
okay apart from the two new decent tracks "John Wayne" and "Future Weapon" which would have served better on a new album while the on the first cd three quarters of the songs are 2001 remastered editions lifted from the greatest hits set released 7 years ago the one thing i can compliment the idolize yourself best of package is the dvd as it contains the memorable videos to the likes of White Wedding even an uncencored version of hot in the city which in all is a added bonus and somthing worthy of purchasing rather than the standard single disc edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Very Best Of Billy Idol: Idolize Yourself (Audio CD)
It is exactly what I wanted, it arrived promptly and was well wrapped. The CD was security sealed also, thank you. 5 star service

ARRAY(0xa60ee2dc)

The Very Best Of Billy Idol: Idolize Yourself
The Very Best Of Billy Idol: Idolize Yourself by Billy Idol (Audio CD - 2008)