4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad
The creature was more than adequate, good story and good acting by Luke Goss and co.
Published on 25 Feb 2009 by C. Soden

1.0 out of 5 stars Watch Alien instead
Published on 16 Mar 2009 by Stephen Myers

1.0 out of 5 stars Watch Alien instead, 16 Mar 2009
Stephen Myers "steve7k" (England, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Unearthed [DVD] (DVD)
This is a very odd movie. It does have some good horror moments, but overall it's just schlepping through the same old vein that so many other movies have done better. There is no actual plot, just a group of people you really don't care that much about encountering a creature in the dark. Where have we seen that before? The monster itself borrows (in my opinion) hugely from the HR Giger 'Alien', complete with huge jaw and slavering teeth. Plus it moves a bit like a velociraptor. And though I do like Emmanuelle Vaugier as the tough sheriff wielding a shotgun, she's no Sigourney Weaver. What exactly was the creature's motive? Some obscure reference to gathering DNA - in which case why did it go to sleep for 900 years? Maybe I missed something, because halfway through I was wishing I'd picked a DVD on selecting wallpaper patterns. And the ending? All I can say is it finished and I could get back to the life I'd put on hold for an hour and a half.

So if you like films with guaranteed gory bits, acting of questionable ability, stereotypical characters, filmed in the dark mostly with a script that meanders and often doesn't seem to make sense, this is the movie for you.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just another creature-feature, 26 Oct 2008
D. Jackson "DJ" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Unearthed [DVD] (DVD)
My title says it all. Unearthed is nothing special. I only watched it a couple of days ago and already I've almost completely forgotten it- that can't be a good sign can it? I remember a really tacky monster, some really bad CG and some shamelessly silly acting. The plot is probably described in another review, but there's not much to it (the film's title immediately explains most of it anyway). There were a couple of OK scare sequences, but judging by the fact that this is probably the least memorable film I've ever seen: It's not that good. All I can say is that it's just another creature-feature and we've seen it all before. Sorry about the short review, but I feel I'm wasting my time.

3.0 out of 5 stars did the math and the second set of Horrorfest films are a step down from the first, 26 May 2008
Amazon Customer (The Zenith City, Duluth, Minnesota) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Last year I went to see the first batch of After Dark Horrorfest Films to Die For in the theater. Then I rented all (but one) of them when they came out on DVD, and then I picked up all (but one) of them when the DVDs went on super sale. However, the second set of films did not come to a theater near me in the Zenith City and I decided to do the all 8 films 2 die 4 for $70 bucks when they came out on DVD and forego renting them to check them out. So I certainly spent less money on Horrorfest 2007 than I did on Horrorfest 2006, which may well explain why I am left feeling I definitely got less for my money. Note: This time the ratings get to involve decimals because I am a college professor and I want to assign numbers between a B- and a D-.

"Borderland": Once again the first Horrorfest movie I saw was the one I ended up thinking was the best of the bunch, but I still pick last year's "Reincarnation" as my top choice (I like it more each time I watch it and I love the ending). "Borderland" about a trio of Texas University students, male I should point out, who make the mistake of going south of the border, where they run afoul of a gang of drug runners who engage in human sacrifice so they will be invisible to the police. Based on a true story this is not a great horror film but the most solid of the octet (Ranked #1, Rating: 4.3).

"Unearthed": Trapped in a town in the middle of nowhere in New Mexico, some unlucky travelers and the hot babes who hold key positions in the town have to deal with creatures unearthed from an archeological dig. Nothing really interesting ever happens and the explanation for the monster really cuts against the grain. At least it is all uphill from here (Ranked #8, Rating: 2.3).

"Tooth & Nail": This is the movie I have talked about the most, but only because the premise for this post-apocalyptic tale is that in the year 2012 we run out of gas, and that ends up destroying civilization. Fortunately little happens in the first part of the movie so you can spend your time thinking of all the massive holes in the set up before we get to the action. However, the payoff (or should I say punch line?) is decent enough to redeem this one in the end (Ranked #5, Rating 3.3).

"Crazy Eights": An impressive cast for a B-horror flick and a pretty good creepy location where most of the action takes place, but the script gives them little to do. A bunch of twenty-somethings who have been friends since they were kids (but forgotten the being kids part), confront their haunted past in an abandoned hospital. Are they guilty and deserve their fates or are they innocent blood? Damned if I could figure it out (Ranked #6, Rating 3.2).

"The Deaths of Ian Stone": This is really a science-fiction film and while the premise is good--why is the title character reliving the same day only to die in a different way each time?--the explanation is too convoluted and the villainess too hokey for this one to really work (Ranked #4, Rating 3.4).

"Nightmare Man": The masked figure from a woman's nightmares shows starts chasing her through the woods where she stumbles on a cabin with a couple of couples who become the entrees for the killer. The obvious answer turns out to be too obvious in this one, but the problem is the ending, which suddenly takes things seriously and can be accused of going way too far (Ranked #7, Rating: 2.5).

"Lake Dead": Clearly the bottom choice for a lot of people and the most sicko movie of the bunch, but that is why it actually sticks out for me as one of the most memorable movies and therefore deserves to finish ahead of more forgettable fare. This is a splatter flick where the rationale for why people are dying is sick and twisted, but the hero actually keeps his head and uses his brains to get back into the game, always a plus with me. Just be warned that what will gross you out here is not the blood and gore (Ranked #3, Rating 3.4).

"Mulberry Street": Whatever those rats are carrying it turns human beings feral and a half-dozen poor souls are stuck in their crappy apartment building trying to stay alive. This movie has the best job by a director and a cast, and if it did not take too long to get to the action it would have been the cream of the crop (Ranked #2, Rating: 4.2).

Without the decimal ratings I gave two 4s, four 3s, and two 2s to the Horrorfest 2007 films for an average rating of 3.0. My averaging rating for last year's films was a 3.7, so that would be empirical support for the contention that this year's crop was a step down. That is not to say that these movies saved from the DTV bin are the dregs of the Lionsgate library because I made a point of going out and rating the last eight DTV Lionsgate horror films I saw that were not part of either Horrorfest and their average rating was 2.6. It might be depressing to think that these are the best of the lot, but that seems to be the case. Still, I have already decided that I am renting before buying next year.

P.S. Hey, people, decide if it is "Horrofest" or "Horror Fest" once and for all and stick to it, okay?

2.0 out of 5 stars Tremors-lite, 10 Aug 2009
This review is from: Unearthed [DVD] (DVD)
The first ten or fifteen minutes of this picture are very enjoyable, immediately involving us in the life of a tiny and sandblown New Mexico town with an alcoholic female sheriff. Emmanuelle Vaugier is particularly good as the sheriff, and I got the impression that she, the other characters and writer/director Matthew Leutwyler would have been perfectly happy to continue exploring this vein, and to significant potential reward.

But no. The money says it's a monster picture. Borrowings from "Tremors" come thick and fast. The plot fragments and needs the characters to stand around explaining it to each other, often at great length. Having set up a bunch of likeable (or at least interesting) characters, the film suddenly devolves them into monster bait, mercilessly shoe-horning them into over-familiar creature attack set-ups that Leutwyler achieves with little flair and no spark. We see a lot of the monster too, leaving us plenty of time to reflect upon the other movie creatures that so obviously inspired its look, and to remember just how good "Tremors" is.

This is all very well, and there'll always be a market for reasonably well made creature features. What's annoying, though, as noted, is that the possibility of something cool and unique was jettisoned in order to make a lowest common denominator mess specifically designed not to stand out from the other crap on the Sci-Fi Channel.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty much just your typical, clichéd monster B-movie, 18 Aug 2010
Daniel Jolley "darkgenius" (Shelby, North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Unearthed [DVD] (DVD)
Like a number of the "8 Films to Die For," this entry in the original 2007 series leaves something to be desired. I got excited when I saw that Charlie Murphy landed a role in the film, but, unfortunately, Unearthed leaves him little room to be funny. Yes, I know this is a horror movie, but I've found that a little dark humor can sometimes make this kind of clichéd, formulaic B-movie a little less painful to watch. The only laughs you might get out of Unearthed come at the expense of the CGI monster, and those aren't the kind of laughs you want in a horror movie. The CGI isn't all bad overall, as some of the close-up shots of the monster (apparently a blood relative of the monster in Alien) play out pretty effectively, but the long-range views, especially those showing the monster in motion, pretty much scream the word fake. While I'm criticizing this brainchild of writer/director Matthew Leutwyler, I also have to point to a number of unanswered questions, inadequately developed subplots, significant leaps in logic, and plenty of self-produced fodder for the likes of a Mystery Science Theater 3000. One of my favorite moments comes during the lead-in to the film's final act, when a character who was previously at a loss to explain what was going on suddenly lays out the entire story for us in great detail.

The last thing Sheriff Annie Flynn (Emmanuelle Vaugier) needs is the unleashing of some ancient alien killing machine on four legs into her relatively quiet desert community. She's already haunted by a tragic accident that will surely cost her her job when the townsfolk have their say at a town meeting scheduled for next week; she's well on her way to becoming a bona fide alcoholic; and she has never gotten the respect she deserves just because she's a female - and rather an attractive one, at that. She is also very young, which made it hard for this viewer to really accept her as a full-blown sheriff (if we extrapolate using Vaugier's age, she would have become sheriff at the tender age of twenty-seven). Getting back to the monster, he is basically an old Indian legend unearthed and brought back into the world by a rogue Indian archaeologist (they thought he was mad at the university) who wanted to prove that his people were indeed all but decimated centuries ago by a monstrous creature. I think we can all agree that he definitely proved his point.

Alongside the sheriff, our list of would-be survivors includes two blondes and a hitchhiker they picked up along the way to California, a businessman (Charlie Murphy) who - like the other strangers - is stranded there because the gas truck that was supposed to replenish the tanks crashed several miles down the road (and the next town in this desert landscape is well over a hundred miles away); a young botanist who came back home to help take care of her Native American grandfather, and - of course - the idiot who unearthed the monster in the first place. They spend most of the movie fleeing from one place to another in diminishing numbers as the monster takes them out one by one. By the time they finally come up with an appropriately cockamamie way to stop the thing, you start to wonder if anyone is going to be left to actually execute the plan. Don't worry too much, though, because you probably won't care a lot about any of the characters (although I must admit I was seriously rooting for Charlie Murphy to survive).

I guess the film gets a little gory in places, but it's certainly not enough to land Unearthed on any gorehound's list of must-sees. In fact, there's really nothing special about this film at all, which is why I'm giving it three stars - a rating which is probably a little generous on my part given all of the film's plot holes and logical leaps. Unearthed won't bore you to tears, but it's not really going to get your heart pumping, either.

2.0 out of 5 stars Mhhmm, the trailer is better than film, 15 Dec 2008
This review is from: Unearthed [DVD] (DVD)
A movie that is betrayal for the spectator that see the trailer and enjoi it. A confused plot, that mix a strange "beast" alien-like with ancestrals fears and some pathetic stories (the drunked sheriff - a women - and ancient american-native legends with "original" biologic theories). Two hours of boring "horror" scenes and a pathetic ending.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 25 Feb 2009
C. Soden - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, 31 Jan 2010
This review is from: Unearthed [DVD] (DVD)
For a low budget horror it's pretty good. A bit more depth than its peers.

1.0 out of 5 stars A weak horror that had a pretty good trailer., 6 Sep 2008
This review is from: Unearthed [DVD] (DVD)
There is a reasonable idea for a trashy monster horror movie here and the trailer made it look pretty good. Sadly the film doesn't deliver anything. No comedy value in over the top kills or dodgy line that are hilarious. The script was actually ok and had the film been much better as a whole... never mind it wasn't. The acting isn't terrible but neither is it particlarly good. What really kills the movie is the lack of suspense or excitment, it is just plain dull.
So with a plot that goes like this, alien wakes up under the desert and starts killing people of a small village, it should be trashy fun. Unfortunatly its just trashy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unearthed Reviewed, 9 Sep 2010
H. Wright "Sci-fi fan" (Oulton, Lowestoft, Suffolk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Unearthed [DVD] (DVD)
This was a film worth watching and full of drama with a twist.
Well being watched the first time and wanting to be seen again.

Unearthed [DVD]
Unearthed [DVD] by Matthew Leutwyler (DVD - 2008)