5.0 out of 5 stars Windows XP on my Apple iMac
Published on 25 Nov 2008 by Michael Chan

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware OEM
Beware.
This version of Windows XP is for installation on new machines only by accredited installers only.
Refund process is not straightforward either. Did not get my money back, could not sell on, still have it sitting wasting space.
NOT RECOMMENDED FOR DOMESTIC USERS
Published on 5 Jan 2011 by J R

5.0 out of 5 stars Windows XP on my Apple iMac, 25 Nov 2008
Michael Chan "Lovandlight" (Wokingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 3, English, 1 pack DSP OEI CD ((This OEM software is intended for system builders only) (CD-ROM)
After years of my grumbling about Microsoft Windows operating systems, the hand of fate intervened and my laptop's hard drive and motherboard simultaneously failed, giving me the perfect excuse to go out and buy a new Apple iMac, a machine that can run Mac OS X 10.6.6 and Windows alongside each other, very useful to avoid wasting my investment in Windows software over the years. Not wishing to install Vista, I instead chose to purchase the Windows XP OEM Home Edition SP3 from Amazon for a very reasonable price, which arrived within 2 days with the usual Amazon efficiency.

Using the Mac OS X Boot Camp application to install my new software, I was up and running in Windows XP in less than 30 minutes, connected wirelessly to my Netgear DG834G router without problems, being able to switch backwards and forwards with Mac OS X at will using the Boot Camp system tray icon.

Even despite my first comment, I must say that this version of Windows XP runs really well and much faster on my new iMac and, together with Apple's fantastic Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard too, I feel totally liberated from dependence on Microsoft for the first time in years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Windows XP, 27 Mar 2009
Bought this cos a brand new laptop I have came pre-loaded with Vista. Removed Vista and installed this. Perfect. Join the anti-Vista campaign(it's all overhead and hype.. slows you machine down and does very little that good old XP doesn't.) and buy XP !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best version of Windows, Works fine with WiFi, 1 Sep 2008
Nathan Turnbull "Nathan" (Doncaster, UK) - See all my reviews
Best version of Windows, Works fine with WiFi

I had an old Pentium III, 733Mhz PC with 256 MB RAM sat in a cupboard, decided to try loading XP but didn't want to spend a lot on the software. This OEM version is a good price and loaded without issue, also registered with Microsoft without a problem. Ok as it is OEM copy you are unlikely to get technical support from Microsoft.

Windows XP (in my opinion) is by far the best version of Windows, very easy to install, stable and uses a reasonable amount of system resources (unlike Vista). XP Runs well on my old PC, which is now being used to serf the web.

A previous reviewer stated they had problems getting XP to connect to the internet using a wireless network; I've had no issues connecting my old PC using a Netgear WG111T 108Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter key, worked straight away, setup so XP is managing the connection. I have two other newer PCs running XP (Service Pack 2) and they are also connected wirelessly to the internet using a BT Homehub, one has a built-in adapter the other with a D-Link USB key.

Buy Windows XP while you still can.

5.0 out of 5 stars XP home on the Mac Boot Camp, 23 Mar 2009
M. J. Blake (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
As a new MacBook user I still needed to run a few of my Windows programs. The options were to install XP or Vista and then access that via Boot Camp or a virtual programme such as VM Ware Fusion or Parrallels. I chose to use XP Home via Boot Camp and installed XP lat week.

The OS installed easily onto the MacBook and has run without difficulty since. Dare I say it but XP Home seems to be running smoother on the Mac than it did on my previous Windows laptop (from Sony)

I have now installed the Windows programs that I need and haven't found a replacement for in Mac OS, so far all programs are running smoothly and XP is a dream. There were quite a few forum posts about XP versus Vista for the Mac, in my experience I recommend XP Home as it uses less system resources and runs A1.

Mickey

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheaper than consumer version, 7 Feb 2009
R. Price (Durham, UK) - See all my reviews
If you just need a copy of Windows XP without the fancy plastic box and instructions then go for this copy. It just comes in a cardboard cover but apart from that it is identical to the more expensive consumer version and loads up in the same way. It also has all the latest upgrades included (service pack 3). XP works well now and is suitable for less powerful PCs.

5.0 out of 5 stars OEM installation on Apple, 10 Feb 2009
Ian Crutchfield (Surrey UK) - See all my reviews
Used Boot Camp software to install on a partition on the iMac hard drive. Installed successfully.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best version of XP, 2 Sep 2009
Picard (USS Enterprise) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Running at just under 110mb of RAM, speeding around like a bolt of lightening on my Mac, XP Home is amazingly the most efficient version of XP I've ever used - even more so than the Professional and Media Centre editions. Using up just 2GB of HDD space too, this honestly puts Vista and Windows 7 to shame when it comes to using system resources. Setting it up via DOS is fairly straightforward (though I'm not a fan), though I've used VM Fusion on my Mac to use this as a virtual machine, and it's running fantastically. Because it's Service Pack 3, their are few updates available after the installation, and so you can get straight into your business. Because of it's low RAM count too, you'll easily get away with hefty anti-virus software and still have a smooth machine, though I personally do without as I used this XP purely for old games and small programs.

As this is the OEM version, you'll receive just the disc and a basic pamphlet in a simple brown box. Providing you understand that this is not an upgrade edition, and you're comfortable installing from scratch, this really is quite the bargain. Windows 7 may be selling for a similar price, but at least with XP I know that all my old games, programs and USB devices work, whilst it barely makes my MacBook sweat. Unless it's placed on my legs...

5.0 out of 5 stars XP on an iMac, 12 Mar 2009
Exactly as the last reviewer, I have couple of Windows programmes I needed to my iMac.
With Leopard and Bootcamp it was as easy as eating ice cream. I had partitioned the drive and fully installed windows XP in 45 minutes. I used the guide in David Pogue's Mac OS X Leopard 'The Missing Manual', but really the whole thing was pretty straight forward.
As a frustrated Vista user, it was great to see the tried and trusted XP screen come up (not as good as the OS X screen, obviously). And it all works really well.
This is a great deal for both OS X users and less powerful PC users. You don't pay for gimmicks, just the CD and the license. Great stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars iMac 20" install, 11 Jun 2009
Ms. V. Ford "AniseFreya" (Hamshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
Faultless install on a 20" iMac. Took about 45 minutes.

The software comes in a brown box with the license conditions written on it. Do NOT worry that it ways it must be installed with an OPK (OEM Pre-install Kit). It doesn't, it installs like regular windows. Runs fast on an iMac. So nice to have a dual-boot system. Essential if you have Windows software you don't want to re-buy for OSX (if it's even available).

5.0 out of 5 stars Windows XP Service Pack3, 1 May 2009
This is microsofts XP. I have 2 XP machines and 2 Vista, the XP seems to me is easier to use than Vista I don't like Vista's program control it brasses me off! Of the 2 operating systems XP is best!