5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant!
I rarely write reviews but I have just bought a set of four of these carriers to go onto my existing Thule Aerobars and they are quite simply superb.

Published on 25 July 2010 by David Ashford

2.0 out of 5 stars More difficult to use than they should be
First the background: I have been using an old set of steel Thule bars and cycle carriers for about 15 years and they were great, but now a new car and a new mountain bike has required changes so I decided to splash out and get 'premium' options from Thule. I ordered these carriers and a set of Aerobars.

The good stuff: Carriers appear robust. The wheel straps...
Published on 30 Mar. 2012 by Charlie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant!, 25 July 2010
This review is from: Thule 591008 ProRide Locking Upright Cycle Carrier (Automotive)

The carrier comes with both T-bolt fittings (which slide into the slots in the Thule Aerobars) and wrap around clamps for other types of roofbars. If you don't already have roofbars then I would recommend paying the extra for the Aeros, particularly if your car has roof rails like mine. (I drive a 2004 Merc E-class estate).

Fitting the carriers to the Aeros was a piece of cake, with 2 T-bolts for the front bar and a single T-bolt for the rear. You can also switch the orientation of the locking arm if you need to load bikes from either side of the car, which is a straightforward job requiring an allen key (which is not supplied).

I have 4 chunky mountain bikes (2 adult and 2 teenagers) and the four carriers fit nicely across the Aero bars with enough separation between each bike and enough room to get to the tightening mechanism on the arm.

The moveable arm has been very well designed and with the jaws fully open you don't need to be too precise setting the initial angle when loading the bikes. This is very useful if you have a heavy bike as you will only need to be lifting it unsupported for a few seconds. I would say that if you have a carrier near the centre line of the roof then you would probably need to be about 6 foot tall to comfortably reach it. (I am 6 foot four).

If you need multiple carriers then I would recommend keeping them permanently attached to the roof bars as it is not a five minute job to slot them into the bars and get every thing adjusted just right. It is possible though, and the T-Bolt clamps have a quick release mechanism (one of which is lockable on each carrier).

My main concern before buying these was the maximum load capacity on the roof of the car. For me the numbers were:

Max load for the roof rails on the Merc: 100kg
Max load for a pair of Thule Aero bars: 100kg

Each carrier weighs 4kg and a pair of Aeros is just under 4kg giving a total carrier weight of just under 20kg for my set of 4.

Each carrier has a quoted max load of 20kg (which is a heavy bike!) My big Carrera Vulcan mountain bike is 17kg and my 10 year old's Carrera is 14kg. Even with a large 17kg bike loaded, the carrier felt rock solid.

Once loaded, the handlebars on my own large frame bike were 9 feet off the ground (so you may want to avoid multi story carparks!)

The best bit!...
I can load, secure and lock from a standing start 4 bikes in less than 5 minutes and take them all off in less than 2!

2.0 out of 5 stars More difficult to use than they should be, 30 Mar. 2012

The good stuff: Carriers appear robust. The wheel straps and the clamp jaws hold the bike securely, which is not easy with the varied cross sections of modern aluminium mountain bike frames. They also look pretty smart.

The bad stuff: The aluminium channel is nowhere near wide enough to hold the tyre. The old steel carrier had a nice wide channel. This means that the only things locating the tyres as you offer up the bike are the raised edges on the far side of the plastic wheel holders. This makes it much more difficult than it ought to be (and I've been doing this very easily for 15 years). The front wheel tends to turn away from straight and the bike topples away from the carrier. It is only a matter of time before my head or the car gains a big dent. This brings me to the wheel straps. You can see them in the manufacturer's picture. The plastic straps are not particularly flexible (particularly in the cold) and they set in the 'closed' position such that even when undone they spring over the wheel holders. You have to jiggle them out of the way with the bike while struggling to get the wheels onto the holders. The old carrier had a plastic hinge mechanism that held the strap open. Easy. Suppose you've overcome these issues; the next step is to get the clamp onto the frame. It is now necessary to lean the bike towards you, align it with the clamp and then lean it back upright to get the down-tube into the side opening jaws. If you are lucky the bike doesn't fall from the carrier while you do this. The old carrier had the clamp opening facing backwards so you could very easily roll the bike, already safely in the channel, into the open mouth of the clamp. Another thing; when you remove the carrier from the bars, which is easy with the T bolts, the rear bar clamp is completely free to slide around on the aluminium channel. This means two things. It is never in the correct place when you re-mount the carrier and it can slide quickly enough down the length of the channel to knock out the plastic end cap. Do this a few times and I guess the end cap will never stay on.

Overall I'm amazed these carriers get high scores. Maybe reviewers have not experienced how much easier the old systems were? I have not tried any modern competitors; perhaps they are all this poor.

5.0 out of 5 stars You have found the alternative to a rear cycle mount, 6 May 2011
Ok you have tried many rear cycle mount as I have, you realize they scratch your car, covers your no plate and takes up space in the garage. You have to fit a lighting plug. If carrying more than one decent bike, they scratch each other. So now you are looking at roof mounted carrier, the 591. Where has it been all this time? It's brilliant. Ok you have to put a roof rack on, but the 591 clamps on in seconds after the first fitting. Your bike is fitted in 20 secs. safe and secure. I keep a small plastic foot stool to keep the working height in the best position when fitting a bike to the roof. Great product very well made. Stores easily. quality materials.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Carrier, 18 Nov. 2010
Mr. Edward Handley (uk) - See all my reviews
Thule reliability superb product which does just what its designed to do. Bikes carry in a very solid upright position. Esay to fit and change hand, we have now bought 2 of these as its so much easier than putting a bike in the back of the car,especially when covered in mud.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Cycle Carrier for Quick Load/Unload, 2 Jan. 2012
I had two main requirements when I was looking for cycle carriers.
These were:

1) Exceptionally fast to load and unload.
2) Carrier can be left on the car when not in use without getting in the way.

The Thule 591 ProRide meets both the above, and does so very well indeed.

It took about 15 minutes to attached it to my roof rack for the first time, mainly due to me reading the instructions. I estimate it would take about 5 minutes if I needed to do this again. However I intend on leaving it attached to the roof for most of the time as I will use it most weekends.

I've used this carrier 4 times since purchase, and it takes about 30 seconds to load my bike and about 15 seconds to unload. Quick, simple and secure - Exactly what I needed.

I very rarely write reviews, but on this occasion I am so please with how well designed this thing is, I wanted to share!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely blown away by Thule 591, 15 July 2011
J. Davies "Joey1986" (Durham, UK) - See all my reviews
Its not often that I feel compelled to write a review about a product however I feel that I need to shout the praises of this product somewhat. It is also rare that I am almost 100% satisfied with a purchase, especially when parting with larger sums of money, I tend to pick out flaws as much as possible.

I bought this product along with the Thule aero bars, fitting kit and accessory pack. It took about an hour to unpack, read the instructions and fit the unit. Once fitted, the bikes can be attached within a matter of seconds. I was particularly impressed with the ratchet system by which the bikes are secured, by operating it you can really feel that its manufactured to a high standard. Was slightly hesitant initially about having a bike on the roof but after a half an hour test drive and check, the bikes hadn't moved at all.

Used it recently on weekend trip away and I can safely say that I am almost 100% happy with the purchase, the reason for stating "almost" is because of a minor reservation I have with the rubber lining on the ratchet arm that secures the down tube - this rubs against the frame and damages the paintwork however this is easily rectified by tying a cloth around that part of the frame.

The product may cost slightly more than some of its market rivals however I am firm believer in the ethos that you get what you pay for and value for money is not just based on the lowest price; and this is a top quality product for the price. So if you're sick of loading your bike into the back of your car or attaching a boot rack and the added hassle then I can without a doubt recommend purchasing this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars 591, 9 Jan. 2012
What can I say, I now have 4 of these and have managed to get 16" kids bikes through to 29" duallys on without any problems.
They won't fit every single thing out there, but nearly all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, 14 Oct. 2011
This is such a good product and worth every penny. It's adjustable and secures a 4-year old's bike just as well as an adult's. It's also reversible so you can mount one on the off side and access the lock easily.

The 1* and 3* reviews are really misleading and the comments in response to the reviews are worth a read.

This is superbly designed and built in a world where so much overpriced rubbish finds its way onto the market.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thule Proride - excellent, 25 April 2012
Bought set of four. Easily holds all our mountain bikes (14-21" frames) including a full suspension Cannondale with non standard geometry. Very secure mounting. Took the time to fit to each bike first and I can now fit 4 racks and load 4 bikes in 8 minutes. Unloading literally takes seconds. I'll never go back to rear mounts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top product, careful of packaging and courier, 7 Jan. 2011
Item is very good. Strong and sturdy, well built. Only annoying thing is if you have 2, due to its design, you have to take it apart and turn everything around then nothing looks symetrical.

Box is WAY to big for the item which means the item rattles around in transit. City link were meant to deliver this item. After waiting for 5 days and I collected it myself. Be careful, do not believe their website. I waited for 2 specific days that their website said they would deliver. They didn't either day and blamed A catalogue of things. Ringing their phone number was a waste of time as it says to check the site and then cuts you off, you check the site and it says it will deliver 3 days ago. Box was damaged, 5 items were missing and then I discovered the item itself has been broken in transit and needs to be replaced. DONT TRUST CITY LINK.

Rang Thule in the UK to prevent sending it back to Amazon, for spare missing parts and they were very good and I recieved it the next day. Sadly, product was damaged as above so need a new one now. Check the item fully if you buy any.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›