5.0 out of 5 stars Poetry in Emotion!
WOW! I'm gobsmacked! BRILLIANT ! - OK so I'm a devout Patti Smith fan (the first album I ever owned was 'WAVE' which an elder brother gave me in 1979 when I was just 15) so I admit I'm biased - but I'm also still Honest (read my other Patti reviews & you'll see that).
'The Coral Sea' CD is a real one-off for Patti - not MUSIC 'Rock & Roll' but 'Poetry with Soul'...
Published on 12 April 2009 by Pagan Ronnie

2.0 out of 5 stars Drowning in a sea of self-indulgence
Being a major admirer of the work of Kevin Shields I felt I had to buy this. I was hoping that it might be something along the lines of John & Yoko's avant-garde piece "Cambridge '69" which can be found on thier album Unfinished Music No 2 Life with the Lions where Lennon provides guitar driven feedback to Yoko's screaming and howling.
Instead you get Ms. Smith...
Published on 24 Jun 2012 by Simon F.

5.0 out of 5 stars Poetry in Emotion!, 12 April 2009
This review is from: The Coral Sea (Audio CD)
Spoken-word (with a single backing 'abstract' guitar).
She reads her tribute book to Robert Mapplethorpe (of the same name) live on stage. It's emotional, powerful and as always with Patti: Genuine & Heart-Felt. Two different performances of the same material on two discs may be a bit excessive but hey, that's cool!
Listen to this album when you're on your own. When you are suffering and in need of some empathy & something un-compromisingly REAL that will make you FEEEEL & ultimately, help you HEAL! -
This material is NOT for the faint-hearted!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 12 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Coral Sea (Audio CD)
Anything Patti Smith does is excellent. One of the superb artists of our time. Maybe only for the lover of Patti.

2.0 out of 5 stars Drowning in a sea of self-indulgence, 24 Jun 2012
Simon F. (Hertfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Coral Sea (Audio CD)
Instead you get Ms. Smith reading some lengthy poetry inspired by the late Robert Mapplethorpe, whilst Shields provides a backing of ghostly ambient sounds. I have no problem at all with Shields' contribution, but does anyone truly understand a word of what Smith is dribbling on about?
As a two CD set,it would of a much better idea if the second disc could of just featured Shields alone. Instead you get two versions of the same piece; both performed at London's Queen Elizabeth Hall in June 2005 and September 2006. Incidentally the second version is some ten minutes shorter than the first. Maybe even Patti Smith began to realise how terribly boring this stuff really is. Two stars, both for Kevin Shields.

The Coral Sea
The Coral Sea by Patti Smith (Audio CD - 2008)