Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen in Prime Shop now Learn more

Format: DVD|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 12 January 2015
This is very much a follow on from `Distant Voices Still Lives,' - one of my favourite films. It is shot in the same distinct `colour and shade' cinematography as the aforementioned predecessor which makes it a wonderful viewing experience. It takes you back to those post war days of the 50's. It will clearly mean more to those such as myself who were born at that time.
This film is really an `Art-house' film, depicting the era and social climate of a working class family in Liverpool in the early 1950's.
Bud, the central character, is essentially a quiet boy; he isn't the confident sort at all and very much keeps his head down at his new school. He is a bit of a loner there.
At home with his loving family around him it's very different. He smiles and clearly feels very much at ease here. His passion is the local cinema - that's his escapism.
The film is quite melancholy in places and depicts what children did in those days and the scenarios they faced: playing and hanging around on the streets, the austere teaching methods, the playground bullies, those awful school swimming classes in the local pool - I can almost smell that stench of chlorine! Finally, it was an age when religion was still fairly strong in the community.
Bud is out of his comfort zone at school but the film highlights the closeness of the family and the neighbourhoods in those days. Bud is clearly loved and the family do not seem overly poor, even though the father is not around to support them.
This is an odd film in many ways; it has very little storyline or plot. It is simply a year in the life of a quiet little boy! It has a beginning but no middle or end!
For me, having seen `Distant Voices' first, that is by far the better watch of the two. It has the same eye-catching cinematography but has a much more rounded and in-depth storyline. It also shows some wonderful scenes from their social life at the local pubs. Of the two that is certainly the one I'd certainly recommend but `Long Day' is still a very good and worthwhile watch.
on 7 February 2014
It's hard to describe how much I love this film. If I was only allowed one film on my desert island it would be this one.
on 1 March 2013
Classy art film.Seen from the eye and the mind of an 11 year old.England in the fifties ,a different country
on 16 April 2016
Splendid in every respect
on 21 January 2015
Brilliant film
on 26 June 2015
fantastic
on 20 February 2009
This is a 'good' film: that is, not written with an eye to the box office, and beautifully done. It shows life more as it is, as opposed to the vast majority of films. The first half I kept hoping something would happen. Then I got used to the idea of it. Not for those who are easily, or not even very easily, bored: the pace is slow to non-existent. Still, not quite a waste of an evening either.
on 13 December 2014
This film is pretentious with no coherent artistic flow. It ridicules adolescence and Liverpool life with it's irrelevant meanderings. Don't waste your time it's very overrated.
on 14 April 2010
I'm giving this film 1 star for atmosphere.
Having been brought up among Roman Catholics
I watched this film with contempt; some parts
I had to skip from sheer boredom and ennui.
It reminded me in my early years of being constantly
dragged into the twilight world that Mr. Davies
depicts in his attempt at consolation for being
conditioned in circumstances beyond his control.
This whole world is anathema to me, since I seem to
have spent precious time avoiding being trapped in a
morbid, sin-ridden, heretic-hating and fervoured-
loyalty world.
Mr. Davies can't be demonising his faith in these films;
much more expiating his observed sins and maintaining
his elitist religion with it's strictly observed rituals.
This is schadenschmerz at it's worst and gets no sympathy
from me.
Pleasant memories I had (despite everything) are corrupted
by the underlying religiosity in this film.
Mr. Davies would have served the public and himself better
by keeping things to himself and privately thrashing
himself with birch twigs.
Roll on Guy Fawkes Night - I'll expiate this film by fire.