5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, 16 May 2009
Johnnybluetime - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Why Can't We Be Friends (Audio CD)
This, War's fifth studio album from 1975 is the ideal soundtrack to a long hot summer day and has that loose funky feel that a lot of soul artists had developed by that time.Close in sound to The World Is A Ghetto, but with a lighter, more relaxed feel,I think it's probably my favourite. There are no great surprises on here, but their usual mix of jazzy, funky ,latino soul with a social conscience was by now honed tight enough to be loose. The track Why Can't We Be Friends is a riot that continually threatens to fall apart without ever losing its stride, likewise Heartbeat, one of my favourites.Leroy's Latin Lament runs the gamut of latino sounds from ballad to dance.The reflective Lotus Blossom and So are great soul ballads and the instrumental Smile Happy starts off laid back and suddenly takes a jazzy turn halfway through. But I guess many people will buy this album for the classic Lowrider and it is a classic and well worth the price of the album on its own. But there's really not a bad track on it.You can dance to it, you can sit around and chill to it or you can take a slow drive down to the beach and check out the girls.And if it's a really good day you might get to do all three.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why Can't We Be Friends - Ultimate crossover, 7 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Why Can't We Be Friends (Audio CD)
This album is the first of War's to really successfully transfer to commercial success. The title track and Low Rider having chart success in the US and the latter in the UK.

Whilst earlier material shows more clearly the bands root's in jazz this album shows the bands expansion into more diverse styles. The jazz influence along with the Latin sound, and the unmistakable harmonica of Lee Oskar begin to develop on 'Why Can't We Be Friends?' into the distinctive sound that would see the group through the next twenty five years. A landmark album in the evolution of the band. A must buy at any price for all fans.Why Can't We Be Friends

5.0 out of 5 stars Why can't we be friends, 11 July 2013
I bought this to replace my Vinyl copy of the same album. The condition of this product was first class and at a reasonable price, the trader dispatched it rapidly, a very satisfactory transaction.

Why Cant We Be Friends
Why Cant We Be Friends by War (Audio CD - 2008)