5.0 out of 5 stars Gossip girl - You have to love her!
Gossip girl, based on the popular teen novels by Cecily Von Ziegesar, follows the lives of manhattans elite. The lead is therefore hard to determine but Serena Van Der Woodsen appears to take the role in this first season (This becomes less apparent in the following seasons).

Published on 27 Jun 2011 by N. J. H.

3.0 out of 5 stars Missing a disc
Enjoyed this dvd very much it has 5 parts each on separate discs but was bitterly disappointed when I went to watch part 4 only to discover it was missing and instead had 2 of part 3. E-mailed supplier but have had no response!
Published 10 months ago by Helen Clingen

5.0 out of 5 stars Gossip girl - You have to love her!, 27 Jun 2011
N. J. H. (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Gossip Girl - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)

Essentially the series revolves around a blog, posted to a website and sent as a mobile phone alert, written by "Gossip Girl". Gossip girl is a secretive character, who remains unidentified, and updates with all the scandalous details of the elite's lives.

Primarily the lives of Serena and her closest friend Blair are the main focus and the boyfriends and scandals occurring within their lives. But Serena has been away for a while and she seems different. But why did she leave? And why did she come back? All intriguing questions to keep you hooked.

I love the series and the characters are all likeable and interesting. The only problem I somtimes have is keeping track of everyones lives and who is dating who. This is something that seems to be equally confusing throughout the entire show and future series.

Overall, I absolutely love this program and watch it religiously. I would recommend it to anyone who loves scandal and, well, gossip. A fun show - worth having the boxset so you can watch it when you want.

5.0 out of 5 stars You Know You Love Me, XOXO Gossip Girl, 21 May 2008
Customer - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Gossip Girl - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
There are 18 episodes in total that make up GGs first season, there would have been 22 episodes overall but the Writers Guild Strike in America this year crippled much of the TV industry, and GG therefore was interrupted in production and had to have its episode order shortened. The post strike episodes (episode 14 onwards) were very good albeit slightly rushed as Josh Schwartz, the showrunner and head writer, had to condense what would have spanned nine episodes into five.

GG was based on a series of books which I have some limited knowledge of but have never read. I don't think it's a good idea to come into the TV version of GG expecting an adaption of the books because that's most certainly not what one will get -- indeed, they are at this point two disparate entities. The show, in essence, takes the characters from the books along with the setting and then creates its own storylines. As a result it's a catty, glossy and just plain fantastic ride. A lot of shows based around teenagers seem to be pretty mindless but GG is actually very well written and there's always interesting psychological depth to the story and characters. In a nutshell GG is set in the glamorous Upper East Side of New York, and is depicting the scandalous lives of Manhattans elite. Gossip Girl is a mysterious blogger who basically enjoys exposing these rich inhabitants secrets.

Now, I was a huge Veronica Mars fan so I only watched this show initially because the wonderful Kristen Bell is acting as the voice of Gossip Girl. So I came for KB (not expecting much in the way of good plot etc.) but ended up staying for the awesome writing, acting and colourful characters. When I first saw the Pilot I was rolling my eyes a great deal and nearly did not come back to watch the next episode; I'm glad I gave the show another chance because I would have been missing out. The Pilot is literally the worst episode of the season and the whole show improves leaps and bounds from thereon in. Really, the Pilot doesn't make much sense in context of the rest of the show -- there's a lot of contiunity errors and characters like Chuck act out of character, as they decided after the Pilot to go in a different direction with his character. So, it's best to ignore the events of the Pilot. Apparently the Pilot would have been re-shot if the CW had more money.

My favourite characters by a huge mile are the two fan favourites Chuck Bass and Blair Waldorf. I have to give the writers huge kudos for putting them together in the middle of the season, I always thought they would be an interesting pairing but never thought they would actually get together. Chuck and Blair's immense popularity as a couple and as individual characters is a testament to the excellent acting of English actor Ed Westwick and Leighton Meester -- who literally always steal any scene they appear in. Westwick and Meester also have the most explosive and heated chemistry of any of the cast. Blair is at first presented as a nasty, vindictive girl, although it's this ruthless mean side to her is part of what makes her lovable; her scheming is particularly brilliant in episodes like The Roman Holiday. You can't help but root for her. Blair is truly the shows real protagonist.

'I'm Chuck Bass' Chuck is wonderful, the sexually promiscuous and a somewhat nasty person. He is even more vindictive and scheming than Blair. He's a Machiavellian figure but as he falls in love with Blair the audience is shown with some fantastic writing/acting that he's far more complex than he first appeared to be; of course Chuck would not be half as interesting without Westwicks charisma and acting nuance, indeed it's a testament to his skill that someone as vile as Chuck in the Pilot could become the most popular male character of the show. Together Chuck and Blair are a post modern Scarlett O'Hara and Rhett Butler.

The other characters Gossip Girl focuses on are Nate Archibald, Serena Van Der Woodsen, Dan Humphrey, Jenny Humphrey, and various other secondary characters. Dan and Serena's not so torrid relationship is the focal point of the season along with the Nate/Blair/Chuck love triangle, which is pretty much taken from Chucks perspective throughout. As the triangle culminates in episode thirteen a new arc begins with guest star Michelle Trachtenburg, who is evil to delicious degrees. The first thirteen episodes of the season are well written, acted and all the episodes tend to contain various amounts of symmetry and subtext, particularly episodes like Hi-Society which exposes the weaknesses in Chucks character in a very Shakespearian manner. The post strike episodes are well conceived but some plotlines are rushed and lacked cohesion.

When all is said and done the most stabilising relationship of the show is between Blair and Serena, without it the show would be the poorer. The familial bonds and friendships are often touching and a key component of GG, particularly C's friendship with N -- indeed I think Nate will always love Chuck more than any other person in his life. The season finale 'Much I Do About Nothing' is great fun albeit slightly rushed. It centers around a wedding which involves all the regular characters. Gossip Girl is a fantastic show which I would highly recommend to anyone, it's most certainly a step above the average teenage drama.

Extras: Deleted scenes, gag reel, a fantastic featurette about the making of Gossip Girl from page to screen. There's no commentaries unfortunately, but I think said featurette more than makes up for that.

Highlight episodes include: The Wild Brunch, Victor Victrola, The Roman Holiday, A Thin Line Between Chuck and Nate and Much I Do About Nothing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gossip Girl - Season 1, 11 Jan 2014
This review is from: Gossip Girl - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Wanted to rewatch the series and own it on DVD which is why i brought this. The first season is based around Serena returning and most of the main characters getting ready to go to Uni. It contains a lot of drama in each episode, nevermind the series as a whole, definitely a good watch for people that like programmes such as One Tree Hill, Revenge and other CW shows that are mostly shown on E4. Considering I got a whole boxset the price was very cheap! you normally pay more than that for just 1 DVD nowadays! -The boxset was previously owned which you can tell as the Box itself has a little damage to it, with indents and white marks on it but it's not that big of a deal as it's the outside box and doesn't look that bad. If you were buying it as a present you can always just fill the white marks in, on the box with a black marker, you wouldn't be able to notice it. The DVD's themselves and there cases however, are fine :)

4.0 out of 5 stars XoXo Simply addictive, 3 Aug 2009
This review is from: Gossip Girl - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I had seen this show being advertised a couple of times but had never really given it much thought...The title put me off for a while...thought I should probably stay away from this...BUT.... because I have always been a fan of teenage drama tv prgs like The OC, Dawson's Creek, One Tree Hill, Felicity... at one point I just decided to give it a try and I loved it (and I am in my early thirties now.) I have to say though that the first episode or two arent really that good and they almost put me off but I stuck with it and it became pretty interesting. Centres around the elite teenagers of Manhattan and their interesting lives, relationships, money, drugs, clothes and so on. The characters are funny and witty. Its kind of like a chick lit tv show. I've not read the books but from what I hear apart from the characters and setting its not really based on the books. Luv it Luv it.I cant wait to dive into Season 2.
The only thing that got to me was that before I got it, I read other reviews and I was annoyed with people that write a review and then give the entire plot away...dont spoil the show by giving away the whole story...its not really necessary to tell people who is going to end up with who...just basic outline will do.
Other than that I am indeed a happy bunny.
XOXO ...I cant stop saying that...XOXO.

5.0 out of 5 stars Following the Lives of Manhattan's Rich and Famous, 12 Jun 2010
Grace Poole (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gossip Girl - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I confess I am grown up, actually over 40, but still can't help loving this teen based show. The First Season is something special and although I love the other Series, I don't think they quite match up to this one. It captures that raw excitement of youth when your hormones are in overdrive. The music is invigorating and great throughout. It has a great story arc which begins with the rich and spoilt Serena returning to Manhattan from who knows where. Whispers of "where has she been?" The storyline keeps you guessing right until the end with plenty of twists and turns on the way. But even though you've seen the Series before you can watch it over and over - why? because of the wonderful witty banter between Chuck, Blair, Serena, Nate, Dan and Jenny etc. Wonderful to watch!

XOXO

4.0 out of 5 stars The outsider becomes the insider, 2 Aug 2014
This review is from: Gossip Girl - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I didn't think I'd enjoy this because I thought it would be sanitised middle class disposable entertainment. However, there is real heart in the writing and the way some of the characters are drawn. You get the outsider, Dan Humphrey, whose parents haven't had a university or boarding school education. He is a social climber who is becoming an equal by going to the same boarding school, but not treated as an equal by the other boarders whose parents have gone to university and boarding schools. His sister is the same, but she appeals to one of the boarders who tries to take advantage of her.

Serena, who is relegated to an outsider because she disappeared from boarding school for six months, forms an alliance with the real outsider. He is attracted to her, but she is only attracted to him because he is an outsider. Eventually, he sees her for what she really is and decides to part company with her. This forces her to establish a real relationship with him and it seems to work. Over a period of time he is absorbed into high society and achieves his goal of pulling himself up by the hips and being accepted into the society that he is aspiring towards.

5.0 out of 5 stars The OC of the new millenium, 30 April 2011
This review is from: Gossip Girl - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this out of boredom as there was nothing else on TV. I am not exactly a teen, so I expected that the generation gap would affect my enjoyment of the show. I was wrong. Except for seeing kids who are supposed to be 15 drinking and smoking and parents condoning it, in a country that has a 21 year age limit for drinking, I didn't feel the gap at all.
This is a great show and the characters are deep and believable(except for their age) and I was hooked. The idea that 'BIG Brother is watching' (aka Gossip Girl) and everything that happens is open to 'gossip'- is twisted and manipulated by those in power- is a horrifying concept taken to the nth degree. Does it happen to this generation? I don't know. It sure didn't happen in my generation :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed it!, 4 Aug 2008
D. H. Taylor "Mr Taylor" (Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gossip Girl - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Though this programme took a while to get going, I did watch it every week and really enjoyed the majority of the episodes!
I think the last episode could have been better; I would have loved for it to end with a cliffhanger and for me to be able to "not wait" for Season 2, however I have learned that some of the production team went on strike after episode 14, for some reason or another??
I think that the characters of the show are very well-written and the casting for Serena, Blair and all of the other characters couldn't have been better.
I did think the plot with Serena having "killed" someone was silly and unnecessary - WAY too dramatic and not needed.
Season 1 has just finished on TV, but the boxset comes out on August 18th this year.
If you enjoyed The OC and One Tree Hill, I would recommend watching this as I would say it comes under that genre of programme.
I doubt you will be disappointed if you bought this boxset, though I will say the first few episodes were quite dull, HOWEVER it does get much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gossip Girl: The Ulitimate Teen Soap, 12 April 2009
Ms. N. F. Jones "Jajakapitan:)" (Chester,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gossip Girl - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
After his success with "The OC," a soap regarded as being the 2000 version of 90210, Josh Schwarz created another teen soap - Gossip Girl. Like "The OC," and both versions of 90210, viewers are plunged into the lives of rich,extravagant teenagers who are living lives and dealing with issues that are ahead of their ages.
"Gossip Girl," in my opinion is much better than "The OC," as it is less shock and horror, someone has taken drugs,had sex etc and more scandalous and shocking. Immediately from the first episode, like me, you will be taken on a whirlwind journey through the lives of Serena, Nate, Blair, Jenny, Dan and Chuck and their corrupt dealings. And with constant updates from Gossip Girl on the lives of each of these characters, you're never left feeling lost in the episode.
This is the cream of the crop of teen soaps - highly reccommended !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gossip Girl- A must have!, 1 Jan 2009
This review is from: Gossip Girl - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
For those of you who haven't added this box set to your girly collection do it now! I bought this on a whim when i saw it whilst shopping as i'd heard it get good reviews, so i am spreading the good news.

In order to get into the stories and characters you need to watch the first episode carefully, there are what seems afew too many characters to keep up with at first but persevere as you begin to love or hate them all in no time! With a hot cast to keep any girl/ guy interested what more could you ask for! It's teamed full of scandal that will have you cringing, emotional times that you can relate to and an unbelieveable sense of style and fashion that makes us all wish for our own stylist! This truely is an amazing dvd and will have you wishing life away until the second season is released! Go get it!

Gossip Girl - Season 1 [DVD]
Gossip Girl - Season 1 [DVD] by Blake Lively (DVD - 2008)