Format: Audio CDChange

on 31 January 2013
I used to have this recording of the '48 until some thieving sod did what they do and thieved it. When I saw this for 16 quid or whatever it was I snaffled it up in an instant. I'm no great expert on Bach but I love this work. I've got another recording of it by Glenn Gould - as you might expect of Gould its a firework display. Schaff's is no less spectacular, just the pace is a tad slower that allows the beautiful complexity in the fuges to unwind itself in your ears a little easier, as well enjoy the equally beautiful simplicity of the first prelude (how do you make the chord of C major sound like that?). All in all an absolute steal only this time my thieving was legal (I bet the sod didn't even realise he was knicking some of Euriope's greatest cultural gold.)
on 9 February 2013
I bought this after I had heard on of the tracks on Radio 3. I have only heard the first side, of four so far, mainly because it was a present for my wife. I would recommend it on that alone.
on 16 July 2013
Despite having contacted Amazon and received no response - which, in fairness, is unusual - I can only express real disappointment with this not especially cheap download. Three of the tracks are missing, three of the most wonderful Preludes as it happens, which makes this the 45 Preludes and Fugues, which is not what the divine Bach, or indeed, the nearly divine Andras Schiff intended. The recording itself is wonderful but it ain't complete and that's deeply irritating...... So - just the 1 *