5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice!
I bought this unit for my father to use. I already have a TomTom ONE V2 which has been working fine for the last three years of ownership.

The same map and voices exist so I can compare the two quite easily (I updated the maps on my original unit).

Published on 21 Dec 2008 by omens

Published on 2 Dec 2008 by Si

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice!, 21 Dec 2008
This review is from: TomTom XL Satellite Navigation System - UK & ROI (v2) (Electronics)

The ONE XL V2 is thinner, wider and generally 'nicer' in comparison. The unit has a wider, more easily accessible 'on' button so your fingers don't hurt.

The touchscreen works just as well as the ONE V2. The larger screen allows for a larger keypad, making typing in addresses that little easier. The widescreen allows for more information in the status bar. This now includes a 'planned time of arrival' and an 'estimated time of arrival' so it flags up whether you're gonna be late or early.

The speedometer in the corner has also been adjusted. It now displays 70/70 to indicate you're doing 70mph in a 70mph zone. If you go over the speed limit eg 90/70, then it highlights it in red so you know you're over the speed limit. Works well most of the time but there are a few roads where the speed limit has been adjusted and it hasn't been updated on the unit.

My unit also included some speed cameras, though I already have my own speed camera subscription from elsewhere (PGPSW).

In terms of directions and mapping, the unit is as quick as the old ONE.

Another huge difference is the mount. Whereas on the old unit, the mount came as a separate unit, this one is built on to the unit and is far superior. Instead of a suction cup on the end of an arm attached to the mount, the suction cup is now attached to a hinged arm which is in turn attached to a bezel on the unit. This means you can quite easily attach and adjust the mount without too much hassle. The cup has a screw-ring which presses the cup to the window for a firm attachment.

The USB socket is now recessed. This makes it easier to insert the USB in-car charger without having to remove the unit from the window.

There is also no SD card or flash memory slot. I used to have issues with sticking my old unit to the window because occasionally I'd inadvertently eject the memory card due to to its position. However, it did make it easier to remove the card and stick it into my card reader rather than having to faff around with USB cables, which is something you'll have to do with this unit. I would have preferred a hinged cover over a memory card slot to protect it but still make it easy to extract.

All-in-all, this is a vastly improved product. Just remember to buy a suitable case and a home charger too.

4.0 out of 5 stars TomTom ONE XL review, 6 Nov 2008
I mainly use my TomTom ONE XL for geocaching, so I enter the destination latitude and longitude co-ordinates taken from an OS map and it's great. I don't find using a postcode as a desination is very accurate and it only takes you to the general area, however, directions over a long route are very good. I especially like the feature when it recalcultes another route within seconds if you divert from the recommened one for any reason. One annoying thing however is telling you to turn right when you are already on a main road and it's simply a right-hand bend with a junction on the left. It also will direct you up a dirt track occasionally, so you do have to use a bit of common sense, drive on and see what the recalculation tells you. Having the distance and arrival time displayed is also very useful as you can easily see which is the best route to suite the type of roads you want to use. A nice feature which is missing would be to enter a waypoint at the touch of a button, so if you want to return to a particular place, you can do so easily. One downside to all this however is their customer service. I recently had occasion to email them about a query I had with a map upgrade. I received no reply, then a week later they had the cheek to send me a customer satisfaction survey to fill in! They had it coming! I still haven't had a reply..

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product..., 10 Dec 2008
I'm a new owner of a TomTom One XL, and I thought I should share my impressions. I've been a massive fan of sat-nav since getting one built into my Toyota Avensis - a first-generation CD-based affair that doesn't display maps but uses spoken and visual directions. I've always been awful at navigation - and even this basic sat-nav got me to my destination - usually without a hiccough.

Many people recommended the TomTom to me based upon ease of use - and, while it has been my plan to get a TomTom rather than buy my next car with Sat-Nav included... family (noticing my struggle to reverse engineer a postcode to an address for my antique built-in device; realising that upgrade CDs for the maps cost upwards of 150...) splashed on this unit for me as a birthday present.

First, my gripes: it is frustrating that the power connector stands proud of the bottom of the unit - it would be neater if it didn't... and while the unit (optionally) turns itself off when power is cut, it needs to be turned on manually. Mounting the device in the car is also a bit of a pain - I do wish car manufacturers would agree a standard form-factor for sat-nav units and design their dashboards to accommodate.

In other respects, I think the device is fantastic. The maps are clear (once I'd switched from 3D to 2D, at least) and entering a new address is a breeze compared to my built-in unit. The instructions are clear and straightforward - the customisable voice being a nice touch.

In summary, for the price, this is an awesome bit of kit... though it is not without imperfections. As a demonstration of what can be achieved in an inexpensive unit, it gives me great hope that future versions will integrate better into car dashboards... and that a unit such as this could combine an MP3 player with hands-free with internet-based live traffic update. This TomTom isn't perfect - but it is getting there... and I'm very pleased to have it now. It is, in my opinion, leaps and bounds ahead of both the Garmin and Navman units I've borrowed... and it makes my built-in sat-nav look positively prehistoric.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Product, 30 July 2008
Tom Tom always have some of the best mapping and services available - and this is a fantastic product. Really pleased with it, crystal clear screen even in bright daylight. New windscreen mount holds on a treat too, even on slightly curved screens. 10 out of 10 - hopefully everyone else will be just as happy with it as I am.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but..........., 19 Dec 2008
Jp Scattergood "Johnps65" (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews
I purchased this particular item from another website as it was slightly cheaper and included overnight delivery. However, I was disappointed to find that despite this item being nearly four years newer than the one I was replacing it actually has fewer features.

I originally had a Tom Tom One V1 which I have used on a daily basis in my work as a courier driver but, as the map was getting outdated, and the battery had finally given up, I decided to upgrade to the new ONE XL v2. The item itself is fine, but be warned, there is no bluetooth connectivity, so if like me you subscribe to Tom Tom's additional traffic and speed camera update services via a mobile phone connection this item will not work. You will need to buy the additional Tom Tom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver instead costing another 40 if you want this functionality. Fine, but I wish I had known this before paying for another years subscription to a service that is now useless. It should also be pointed out that there is no removable memory on this item either so capacity will be limited. Not a problem for me, but some may find it so. Be warned!

2.0 out of 5 stars Good product but awful customer service - don't buy if you want traffic service, 2 Dec 2008
I've used one form or another of TOMTOM satnav software for several years now - starting with the TOMTOM software on my old PDA. I finally bought a dedicated TOMTOM One XL a few months back, and the device itself is OK. It's not the fastest SatNav on the market, in terms of route planning, which can be frustrating if you get stuck in traffic and want to reroute, but by far my biggest gripe with TOMTOM is the customer service. They still act like a small start up company, not one of the largest satnav providers in the world. On 8th October the Traffic Service went down, and it has not come back - nearly 2 months later! I paid for the Traffic Subscription where updates are sent to the device via your mobile phone and bluetooth connection. The service has got progressively worse this year, often being out of date and rarely accurate, and it finally failed completely on 8th October with a message saying "the service is not yet available in your country". TOMTOM finally recognise that this is a major problem affecting many users, and now have a standard reply on their (very basic) support website, advising that it is a top priority to resolve the problem. It's clearly not that important or it wouldn't still be down 2 months later, and clearly not as important as advertising their top of the range traffic service (HD traffic) which will cost you nearly a tenner a month (I just got emailed advertising this as a 'current user of traffic'). No way would I pay this as I just don't trust them to resolve problems once they've got your money. A shame, as the device itself is easy to use, and now at a good price. I'm not sure I would buy another one from them though.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll never get lost again, 28 Feb 2009
Jeffrey Tuckett (Swansea,South wales) - See all my reviews
This is my first Sat Nav so I can't compare it with any previous versions.Before deciding on this one I read up on other various makes and their reviews and decided on the Tom Tom as it is a market leader and my son has had one for some time without any problems.The screen is nice and legible and the voice commands clear and positive.First time out I had no problem setting it up or attaching it to the windscreen with the easy mount.It wasn't long before I encountered the enevitable roadworks tail back and required a diversion.Within seconds the Tom Tom provided an alternative route and I was on my way again.I particularly like the Safety Camera warnings and the speed indicator.(much easier for my wife to keep a beady eye on my speed).It has all the features that I think I will require and so far I'm very pleased with it.I will mainly use it on our short weekend breaks and it appears that my Wife is now redundant as the map reader (or in her case non-map reader)Shhh.and we should never get lost again.Once again,best price from Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars tomtom one xl my thoughts, 12 Jan 2009
Sean Appleby (uk) - See all my reviews
i decided to purchase the xl rather than get new maps for my ageing tomtom 300. as a tomtom owner i now how good they are but i was more than impressed with the new xl. its comes with the new easy mount which is a dream its small and can stay attached to the main unit and still fits in your pocket the easy mount allows full movement and does not vibrate like the old long arm mounts. as you would expect the menu and user interface is superb and the wide screen is easy to view and follow directions. the power cord fits almost flush into the bottom of the unit and allows it to sit flat on the dash.all in all you can not go wrong with this model......

4.0 out of 5 stars My first impressions of the TomTom XL, 5 May 2009
A. Radley (England) - See all my reviews
Having owned a Mio 268+ for the last three years, which has just given up the ghost due to my mishandling, I thought long and hard about a replacement. The two candidates were a Garmin Nuvi wide screen, and the TomTom XL. On both counts I considered the traffic options, but reading reviews on these, I decided against.

After much deliberation I decided on the TomTom, probably as I have a number of friends who own them, and whose brains I can pick.

First impressions are that it's a well made machine, which does what it says on the box.
In the box, is the Sat-Nav, a mobile power lead 5v, a USB lead to connect to the computer, a basic manual and an accessory booklet. It's very easy to set up on the computer, just decide whether you want to download the latest map set (not updates), as you only get one free download, and it might be best to wait a while. The full manual is available online(free)

There are loads of preferences which you can personalise, including start-up and close down screens, voices, colour schemes and a whole lot more.

As far as navigating is concerned, it's probably not a lot different from a multitude of other sets. I've only used it locally so far, and it has tried to take me on some strange routes. The vocal instructions are repeated a little too often for my liking, but out of town this wouldn't be such a problem.

When navigating between two points, you can put one "via" in, which could be handy.
There is also an "Itinerary" option, where you can put lots of way points in, I've only played around with this so far, and found it rather fiddly.

Although you can use the XL straight from the box, I think it's a sat-nav for people who like playing with gadgets, rather than a tool to help you to get from A to B.

TomToms are very good, and have a deserved reputation.. I would say though, that if you aren't worried about all of the features, half of which you will never use, there are cheaper options on the market.

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes getting there easier, 4 Feb 2009
David Bird (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
You know where you're starting from and you know where you want to get to. Its the bit in between the two places that can be the difficult part. The TomTom ONE XL v2 Sat Nav makes the difficult part easy. It does what it is supposed to really well and has several useful features for those of us that are used to using paper map books. Overall I thought it good value for money.