4.0 out of 5 stars Wood Splintered A Little, But Still Fun
This was a gift for my son's birthday. He loves it, but it does not come with any supplies. His aunt sent easel paper also, but I still had to order the Melissa & Doug Deluxe Easel Companion Set.

Published on 31 Aug 2009 by Ursula K. Raphael

3.0 out of 5 stars art easel
This art easel is rather good , I bought my 8 year old daughter it for her birthday, and she loved it, the only thing is you don't get any extras with it, like paint, or the paper roll, you have to buy them separately, apart from that it was good value, you do have to assemble it yourself though.
Published on 15 May 2010 by L. J. Logan

4.0 out of 5 stars Wood Splintered A Little, But Still Fun, 31 Aug 2009
Ursula K. Raphael "AstraDaemon of The Zombiep... (USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Standing Art Easel (Toy)

Not only has he received other Melissa & Doug gifts, but I've purchased a lot of their toys. For the most part, they are fun & inspire creativity. However, although I was very careful with the pieces, the wood chipped and/or flaked in several places. Luckily my son is old enough to avoid splinters, and my dogs don't chew on things, or it would be a problem.

The assembly took me about 45 minutes by myself. It was kind of hard to attach the two boards - I would recommend having someone else nearby to help with a few steps, and to save time.

Overall, this a fantastic easel. I think the size, and the different holders promote imagination & organization. My son feels like "a real artist" now.

P.S. priming the chalkboard means rubbing chalk all over and then erasing it...it helps to read the instructions

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, height-adjustable art easel with excellent storage trays, 11 Oct 2010
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Standing Art Easel (Toy)
I am extremely happy with this product. As is my 2 year old daughter who got it from her nanna as a birthday present 2 months ago. Definitely the most favoured gift among the bunch. An extremely valuable tool in the war against toddler wall-drawing! My little artist now concentrates all her vertical artistic efforts on the easel. I haven't found the unprimed wooden legs to be a problem, most of the wood is quite finely plained. And yes, no need to panic when the chalk doesn't seem to take to the blackboard surface. As others have said, you just need to scribble on it with chalk and erase to prrpare the surface.

I am very impressed with the range of height adjustability on this product. It's lowest setting suits my little one perfectly and she is just average height for her age. It's very generous in size and sturdy. Likewise, the storage trays are robust and roomy. There are several paper clamps supplied which come in very handy. However, like everyone else, I felt that it really should come with a roll of paper to get you going. Also, there were several wing nut thingys going spare after I'd put the easel together (which is a 2 person job), and the instructions didn't quite match up with the fitting provided but this really had no impact on the end product, just gave rise to a bit of head scratching and a bit extra time spent searching and reading.

I've found the rolls of easel paper sold at IKEA to be ideal and inexpensive. I already owned non-spill paint tubs from Tesco that look identical to those in the M&D accessories pack available, and they fit perfectly into the paint pot holes in the easel's tray.

I have to say that it's a great sturdy easel. I actually feel that it will be in use for the rest of my daughter's childhood. This has to make it value for money! I most certainly WILL buy Melissa and Doug products in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars An EXCELLENT EASEL, 15 Dec 2013
Alexander Bryce (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Standing Art Easel (Toy)
Read most reviews before ordering. Several whinging about the quality of the timber, having to assemble it, no paint nor paper with it etc. etc. I decided to go with the more positive comments and ordered it and I am so glad that I did.
It came well packed with all parts present and correct.
The diagram and written instructions are clear and simple allowing me to have it ready for use in a couple of hours ( had a tea break and a few interruptions so 1.30 mns. nearer the mark ).
The timber legs are smoothly sanded or planed and the other parts are of good solid quality.
The pre order blurb makes it clear that paints, paper etc are NOT included. I ordered them in addition and they cover every possible use for the easel. ( see my review of the accessory set )
Having dealt with most previous, negative comments let me now state a few additional pluses :
The hight adjustment allows it to be comfortably used from little 3 year olds to great big 8 plus year olds.
It is ready to receive any of the accessories you may wish to add.
With a green board for chalk and a white board for drawing or attaching paper for painting it is very versatile.
It is easy to fold for storing when not in use.
It is of a sturdy construction and should last for at least the above age span.
Perhaps most important of all ; it looks good and just begs to be used. So if my grandson turns out to be a Jack Vettriano or a Damien Hirst, then it all started here.
First class product at a fare price.

3.0 out of 5 stars art easel, 15 May 2010
L. J. Logan - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely perfect!, 8 Jun 2012
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Standing Art Easel (Toy)
We got this art easel almost 2 years ago for our then 2 years old daughter, she still loves it and so does her little ( 2 years old) brother, its very sturdy, adjustable hight and very well made. Highly recommended easel. Gread value for money!

4.0 out of 5 stars art easel fun, 22 Nov 2011
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Standing Art Easel (Toy)
This product is great for my 6 year old with it's adjustable height. The fact it can be folded is a bonus as storage is tight. Its a sturdy product which will give hours of fun to my daughter who will be playing teacher. ALOT!!! There is good storage on the easel itself for crayons, markers etc. Only thing I would say for the price I would expect to get crayons, chalk, paper, paints etc with it and not have to buy them seperate.

5.0 out of 5 stars melissa and doug easel, 16 Oct 2009
J. Nelson (uk) - See all my reviews
great purchase
a little fiddly to put up, but a little patience and the reward is obvious - my 3 year old who got it for her birthday loves it.
the chalk board is great quality, didn't need priming in our case and the white board and paper side is equally so.
the bright colours make it appear fun and the fact that it can vary in height to match the wee one's age is a real plus.
would thoroughly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 25 Oct 2013
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Standing Art Easel (Toy)
I bought this product for my 5 year old nephew.. He loves arty things & absolutely loves this easel.. Telling everyone it's his favourite present! It's so nice & colourful, compared to others I looked at! Definitely worth the money, he uses it all the time & we even play different games on it like guess the drawing etc. it's easy to assemble! Would recommend! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great presant for a two year old, 22 Jun 2013
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Standing Art Easel (Toy)
My grandson recieved this with all the extras for his second birthday.He loves it and uses it every day.Well made and sturdy.Should last long enough for my second grandson to use when he is old enough

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value great toy our two year old loves it, 8 Jan 2012
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Standing Art Easel (Toy)
Great gift that was purchased by us on behalf of our two year old for christmas. Its really functional and its great that it folds up for easy storage. Its made painting in our house alot easier and alot more fun.

Melissa & Doug Deluxe Standing Art Easel