Reading the reviews, I get the feeling that this device either works perfectly for people, or doesn't work at all.

Published 19 months ago by David

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful but ... expensive add-on
The Bluetooth adapter is one add-on I was looking for some time to but for my iP100 portable printer. It would have been a shame to not make the device fully independent of any wires.
It does what it is supposed to do but is quite expensive for an USB dongle.

Published 24 months ago by Daniel Terci

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful but ... expensive add-on, 12 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Canon BU-30 Bluetooth Adapter Unit for Pixma iP100 and iP100 with Battery Ink Jet Printers (Accessory)
It does what it is supposed to do but is quite expensive for an USB dongle.

Unfortunately I had to buy this very specific one as any of the other universal USB BT dongles I've tried did not work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly - but beware, if your computer doesn't have bluetooth it won't work, 23 July 2013
David (London, UK) - See all my reviews

My suspicion is that for those that say it's "useless" may have just forgotten to check if their computer has bluetooth. Not all will (Macs will, by the way) and if your's doesn't - well, it's not likely to work with this, is it? Perhaps people have got confused about "wireless" expecting that since they have WiFi on their computer then this will work. Nope, not the case. It is indeed wireless, but uses Bluetooth, not WiFi.

So there you have it - if you have bluetooth this works seamlessly and is a doddle. If you don't have bluetooth, no amount of tinkering will make it work.

1.0 out of 5 stars unacceptable price. But there is an alternative., 11 July 2014
Quintal Costa (Porto Salvo, Portugal) - See all my reviews
Unfortunatly, this printer, annouced as Bluetooth printer, needs an optional Bluetooth dongle to be installed inside the printer (or in the available lateral usb plug in the printer). Unfortunatly CANON sell it's Bluetooth dongle at about 100 Euro - unacceptable price.

Well i'm working with Windows 8.1 and I found a Bluetooth dongle absolutly compatible with the printer (and the Canon's dongle):

Hama Nano Bluetooth USB Adapter, Version 2.1+EDR Class2

You can find it here at amazon UK at about 10 Euro (8 £)
It works fine, error free, and according to Hama there is no need for driver for WINDOWS 8 (and I guess 8.1 too). The fact is It works without fault, with me. Simply ignore the CD that comes with the product (only for Windows 8, 8.1)

One issue tough: When pairing, I got a message that it couldn't find the drivers for the dongle. Ignore it. It will do the pairing anyway. Print something and it will work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is it any good?, 25 Aug. 2009
I purchased this item becuase I needed wirefree connectivity and I must say that I just popped this in my printer and it connected first time. I am out and about a lot and have used this frequently without any problems at all. I would certainly recommend this item to anyone who does not want wires everwere! Hence I also purchased a battery pack for my printer too (Canon ip100).

Finally, it is not cheap but well worth the money. I can't provide any faults at all.

Roy

1.0 out of 5 stars Bluetooth..?, 22 July 2012
Well personally, I wouldn't buy this, or recommend it. Why..? Just could not get it to work, so a total waste of money. Certainly not user friendly.

1.0 out of 5 stars £8.99 or £74 including delivery?, 3 Oct. 2014
David Wood "DVW" (UK) - See all my reviews
I don't know about this product but I do know that a Kinivo BTD-300 works out of the box without even using the supplied software.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish product dont buy it, 9 April 2013
Firstly It was difficult to fit.
Very little introduction to the product, it actually produced a copy of the printer which you have to mark as default for it to work.

It then started producing more copies of the printer and the whole thing stopped working.

The only way I could get the printer working again was to take the adaptor out and delete the copies.

A waste of money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 18 Feb. 2012
This has enabled me to be rid of unnecessary cable on my table. Works brilliantly. Using battery too! Thoroughly recommended if you have limited space because you can place the printer away from the laptop/PC.

1.0 out of 5 stars Would not work with my laptop., 28 May 2013
A complete waste of money. Still connecting the printer via the USB Cable. This is a product which could not be recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 Sept. 2014