4.0 out of 5 stars An story for all mankind, 15 Dec 2009
Spilsbury (UK, Liverpool) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Cannot Forgive (Paperback)
Rudi Vrba was the first prisoner to escape from Auschwitz to tell the outside world of its horrors. This is a extraordinary story by an extraordinary and yet very ordinary man of the truth of what went on. He describes without anger the terrible process that brought thousands of woman and children straight off the train and straight to the gas chambers. He misses nothing- and its these very simple observations that lend such an authority to his testament. The well dressed Jewess who ushers her children to the showers since they have not washed in days. The Balkan Jews. Tall, upright and powerfully built. The Gypsies and the Muslims all he makes testimony for without wavering, without anger or prejudice. 'Arbeit Macht Frei ' he describes as on the door of the main gate to the camp sears through the reader. Your emotions are assaulted by the piles of hair stacked neatly, the clothes and shoes all sorted by size. The horror of the gas chambers where the dying form a desperate pyramid of corpses struggling to stay their last breath.
His is a voice that can reach out to all, the authentic voice of dignified suffering. For the none believers, there are numerous photos of corpses, of the victims of medical experiments and other prisoners in utter wretchedness that should move the hearts of even the most hard hearted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Influencing, 5 Dec 2011
J. Ledwidge (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Cannot Forgive (Paperback)
It must be at least 30 years now since I read this book. Many of the details are somewhat foggy in my mind but the impression it left on me has lasted to this day and will no doubt continue to influence me. It was the first detailed account of the Holocaust I had ever read and it prompted me to learn more.

Having recently visited Auschwitz / Birkenau I was prompted to get hold of the book again as the story has become even more real to me. All I can say now is that in honour of those who died, not just Jews but gypsies opponents of the Nazis and many others, we should all resolve to oppose oppression wherever we may find it.

5.0 out of 5 stars As new., 5 Feb 2013
This review is from: I Cannot Forgive (Paperback)
A very good book. Unfortunately, I already had it , bought through its other title The book came ahead of time.

I Cannot Forgive
I Cannot Forgive by Alan Bestic (Unknown Binding - 1963)
Out of stock