Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Showing 1-10 of 54 reviews(4 star).Show all reviews
on 13 February 2010
I bought this unit as a present to accompany an iPod Classic 160GB. The unit looks and sounds great. The unit came with a number of adapters to house the iPod snuggly anound the base connection. These included one for the 120GB Classic iPod but annoyingly not for the 160GB iPod Classic. Everything works but you have to be very careful not to apply leverage onto the base connection when you operate the iPod controls when it's docked.
on 19 January 2011
We bought this as Junior received an iPod touch for Christmas and he has been getting more and more into music. The price from Amazon was amazing (half price from retail stores) and the reviews were good too.

The service.
Amazon continue to amaze. Having ordered it on the Wednesday after Christmas, it arrived on the Friday - that was with the super saver free delivery.

The product.
This is perfect for a child's bedroom (it's purpose for us) and as something to listen too in any room. It struggles to retain quality of sound at higher volume but remains reasonable.
It is nowhere near audiophile quality but at the price, does sound decent. The bass is evident and with no additional EQ settings is tight enough without being thin. The mid and trebles are presented well but there is some 'esssing' at higher volumes.
Physically, it is compact, and pleasant to look at. The oldie worldie led display though the speaker gauze is a nice touch.

We liked it so much we were going to buy another for downstairs but they had sold out at the offer price!

Some cons - but not dealbreakers
The dock area fits all ipods but the included docking holder doesn't include for a 4th Gen iPod touch. The ipod touch holder. We have ended up using it without the holder otherwise it doesn't charge.
The EQ settings are not subtle and actually a waste of time.
When you connect the Touch, it starts playing the music immediately - which isn't brilliant if the owner shares a room with his little brother!
The remote is a little slow in response - but I may be being a little picky here.

Overall, I would recommend it but not at the full price (hence 4 stars). At full price or a little more, you can get better docks that have a much better sonic performance.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 January 2009
I received the Gear4 Housparty4 for Christmas. Overall I'm very pleased with it, the sound quality is excellent for the price. I only have to gripes:
1. the equaliser resets to off every time i turn the power off, which means having to put it back to something decent each time.
2. I don't know if anyone else gets a high pitch buzz through the speakers when using the ipod? Mine does. It's drowned out at medium-high vol, but is audible at quieter settings.

Overall recommended if you're not going to invest in a Bose or Klipsh.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 October 2009
I echo most of the comments here with only one quibble: the adaptors were unsuitable for my 120G Classic. I'm using it wothout the adaptor and it does sound great but obviously will be a little less stable should it be accidentally knocked etc.

Otherwise, great sound for such a low cost dock, easy to use and handy size too! Well worth buying even with the dodgy adaptors!
on 7 February 2011
I really like this product it has good sound quality (havent had it up at full volume yet) and its great to have a radio with it - the remote is easy to use and the unit itself is small enough to sit on a table out of the way but the sound is big enough to keep it in the lounge. only slight complaint is you have to have the arial pinned up on the wall to get a decent reception which is unsightly -minor irritation as its not that big and I've got used to it being there now.Its certainly worth the money at the reduced sale price - wouldnt pay more than that for it tho.
on 24 September 2010
If you're looking for great sound at a low price this is for you. I was given the Gear Duo for Xmas but it didn't last very long so i bought this one instead because money was tight. I'm really pleased with it; it's really sturdy. The sound is excellent for my needs, and it's so easy to use. I had a party recently and it worked a treat!
My only critisim is the radio.. it's rubbish! There is NOW WAY you could listsen to it with the ariel provided. But i didn't buy it for the radio, so i don't particularly care although you may. So until i can afford a nice expensive one like Bose, this one suits me just fine.
on 5 October 2010
I spent a long time looking for a good docking station for my new ipod touch. This one is perfect. I didn't want to spend the money on a Bose type product. At around £50 this is really good value, provides good sound, not too tinny, and looks good on your work surface. As a newcomer to the ipod world, I found it a little fiddly to work out how the ipod sits in the docking station, but once sorted, it was quite natural. I would recommend this product to anyone who wants a starter unit for playing their ipod music.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 August 2011
I love this dock, I have been using the Klipsch dock and found it very good but unfortunately I was neglectful with regards using the adaptors and eventually the connections broke and I was forced to get a new dock (but it did last a few years before dying).

This is great value for money (£40 when I purchased it) FM radio and also can cycle through the menus via the remote on my ipod video. The FM radio is good enough for me as it picks up Radio1 and local radio, I scanned through and didn't pick up that much more but that maybe because of where I live.

Sound quality is good and comes with a number of different sound settings so can be tuned to your particular style.

It looks good, the digital display is nice and only visible when lit, its behind the mesh cloth of the speakers and when lit is above the top of the ipod.

Only complaint is that it doesn't have the right adaptor for the standard ipod so for now I have to be careful until I can get one. If its still the £39.95 price then its a bargain and would highly recommend, sound quality is good and can push out a decent volume before distorting. Would say its ideal for a medium sized room.
on 24 December 2010
We have use the AUX connection to plug in our iMac and listen to digital radio streamed over the internet and iplayer tv etc
Good value for money
on 12 August 2011
I bought the Gear4 HouseParty4 to take away on holiday. I've been after an ipod dock for a while and after much research this one seemed to have the best reviews. In looks great and sounds even better.

I have a seriously varied taste in music and I have to say everything I've played on it.. it's dealt with. The EQ presets give a decent variety too.. if your music needs a little something extra.

I'd def give this unit the double thumbs however I have only had it for just over 1 month.

The only cons are the slight interference the radio module picks up now and then (if you have an iphone in) BUT this can be sorted out by flicking it into offline mode, not so practical if you have a life :) but hey. The other aspect is just the size, it's a little chunky shall we say.. that said it will now reside at home, so in order for it to deliver the rich bass sounds it does, you must pack a little more in on the inside, over all a small compromise.

In a nut shell a GREAT system, good value for money and does just what you'd expect but with sound that goes the extra mile.. A Good buy.. Enjoy