5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent iPod Speaker Dock for those on a Budget!
Published on 23 Aug. 2009 by Mr. T. S. James

2.0 out of 5 stars Broken in 6 months.....
Pretty much same experience as some others here (and also in the 1* section)

Product was clearly advertised as compatible with iPod touch 4th generation when we bought but none of the supplied adapters fit the 4th gen.
It is only usable for 4th gen with no adapter in place which, as others have stated, leaves the connector vulnerable

We bought...
Published on 20 Jun. 2011 by A Mason

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent iPod Speaker Dock for those on a Budget!, 23 Aug. 2009
Mr. T. S. James (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: GEAR4 HouseParty 4 Speaker Dock with FM Radio for iPod (Electronics)
I bought this Gear4 HouseParty 4 after much searching and comparison of similarly priced iPod Speaker Docks. Whilst eventually I would like to purchase a Bose Sounddock, at the moment I just need something to replace my CD player which has had it after many, many years. The criteria for my purchase was the best sound quality possible, whilst costing around £50 - £60. Which I felt was a reasonable price for a decent Speaker Dock.

I ordered this based on the number of high reviews here on Amazon, although I was a bit dubious about the speakers capabilities having never owned a speaker dock before and not having the ability to test one before buying. I took the plunge anyway and when the unit arrived I was amazed!

It's smaller than I was expecting, very simple clean design, will easily fit anywhere in a room and has a very slim credit card style remote control. Took me a few minutes to setup and even though the instruction manual was a few pages long, you don't really need to read it, this unit is really simple to use. I'm using this with an iPhone 3G and all I had to do was dock the iPhone, it'll ask if I want to turn on Airplane Mode so as to reduce interference from the phone and that's it away you go. If a song is already playing on your iPod/iPhone it'll keep playing when you insert it into the dock. If like me you're using an iPhone, as soon as you remove it from the Speaker Dock it'll automatically turn off Airplane Mode which is a nice touch, saves you keep going into the settings on the phone.

The sound quality of this unit is really quite good, better than I was expecting, bearing in mind that this is replacing my main CD unit. Initially there was some trepidation when I first played something through the speakers, it was obviously something I wasn't expecting when comparing to my CD player speakers. After playing various different types of music through the speakers, it became apparent that this unit will just take anything thrown at it! Low volume, high volume, anywhere in between and I get zero distortion. The sound produced is almost as good as my CD player speakers, good bass without being overly bassy. I was a bit worried about the quality of the sound, but my fears have been in vain it seems.

The unit comes with a built in FM radio which comes in handy. You also get a credit card style remote control which is very handy and seems to work quite well. It cycles through all the menus on my iPhone without problems, allows you to select songs easily enough. You can also shuffle and repeat songs, etc from the remote. The one thing that I didn't see the point of was the 7 EQ options. Turning any of these on and you'll wonder what's happened, to me they're a bit pointless and most users will probably use the unit with the EQ settings off. A minor quibble, but maybe something that needs work for the next model.

Overall, if you're on a budget and looking for a good quality iPod Speaker dock that gives good sound, easy to use, looks the part and works well with both the iPod and iPhone, then I can highly recommend this unit. Ultimately, if you can go in store somewhere and test one then I'd always advise before buying as different people prefer different units and everyone has a different ear when it comes to sound. I can't fault this unit for it's price and am very pleased with it, 5 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little item!, 22 Oct. 2009
If you are looking at this and thinking of buying .. stop wasting any more time and order it now!! I spent ages looking for one of these that I thought would be any good without spending hundreds of pounds, I've had this item for three weeks now and couldn't be happier. The dock sits in my kitchen/dining room but is loud enough to be heard all over the downstairs, it has a neat and stylish design, the radio is a lovely addition and the sound is excellant, not tinny in the slightest and it can cope with playing base even at top levels!! - great little item!!

5.0 out of 5 stars great quality, 1 Jan. 2009
I brought this system to go in the kitchen with my ipod.I looked around for a bit and yes bose probably are the best but for far more money.I got it for 60quid and ive been really pleased with it.The sound is very good and clear and the bass excellent.It is quite suprising when you turn it right up the amount of noise that comes out such a small system.It also has a built in radio and a neat little remote that both work well.To get all this for 60quid or less is a bargain.Definately purchase if your looking for a good all round system without paying silly money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it, 4 Mar. 2010
I researched before buying read amazon customer reviews and they were all right. It is a great little piece of kit for playback. This is great for the bedroom too. Nice vol control for listening to favourites as you drift off. It is asthetically pleasing too- photos dont do it justice. If you are looking for a docking station for ipod then go for this one. Decent price on Amazon more expensive elsewhere. I have ipod nano 5th generation works fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Shopper!, 9 Jun. 2010
E. M. KIRBY - See all my reviews
After a lot of research - checking customer reviews etc I decided to buy this item. We already have a Bose speakers dock which cost a lot more, looks good and produces fab quality sound but I wanted a cheaper one for my office. I was worried that any other make would be a poor substitute but this little beauty has come up trumps! I set both units up side by side and I have to admit that I was bowled over by the quality. The added bonus of an inbuilt radio makes this perfect. I would happily recommend this item

5.0 out of 5 stars just fab, 29 Oct. 2008
Just received this item, on the recommendation of the two previous reviews. What value for money, it sounds good, definately not tinny, equaliser, fm radio and a remote all for £45 brill! I've decided to use it as a portable instead of home stereo, even though its slightly bulky the sound is good, i had purchased another one for £100 but i think this is definately good value. My only gripe is that the cables not long enough! Go on give it a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars over the moon, 1 Nov. 2010
absoloutley over the moon with this piece of kit it does everything all the other reviews say. I did a bit of research before I bought this and was so impressed by the reviews for it I decided to go ahead. The sound is amazing for a fraction of the cost of what I was considering paying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 29 Sept. 2010
These speakers are brilliant to use with my iPod Classic. I use them in my bedroom, and they are so loud on full volume that you can hear the music from downstairs. They look sleek and aren't too bulky. They are easily portable. The remote is very handy, although I find that you have to hold it quite high if you are sitting down. The radio option is excellent, and the aerial is long enough for you to maneuver around until you get sufficient signal.

The speakers are amazing for this price, and I definitely recommend them to anyone who just wants some small speakers for their bedroom or lounge.

2.0 out of 5 stars Broken in 6 months....., 20 Jun. 2011
Pretty much same experience as some others here (and also in the 1* section)

We bought as a Xmas present for our daughter. Now, after 6 months, the iPod doc has given up (radio still works) - no charging, no music, no controls - rock the iPod back and forth on the connector and I can get some music but only from 1 speaker and charging but only temporarily until I let go. Connector has obviously given up.

Sound is really good, hence the 2*, but fundamentally flawed design in the iPod connector for 4th generation iPods

Am now waiting manufacturer's response before Amazon will consider replacing etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money & charges new chromatic, 20 July 2009
Al (Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my 14 year old son, after much research trying to find a dock that would play and charge the Nano Chromatic. This does - and I am now going to buy one for myself as this really is impressive value for money. Simply plug in, pop in your I-pod and away you go. With adaptors for other I-pod models and the facility to connect any other make of MP3 player too, this has great sound quality, can pack a punch in terms of volume and looks classy too.
What more could you want for such a great price?