5.0 out of 5 stars these things take time
dramatic, camp, eccentric, quintessentially english. makes you want to flounce about and shreik like a big nancy. surely that is a good thing?
Published on 31 Dec 2008 by Scooterboy

3.0 out of 5 stars Love this band......
Really love Wild Beasts but this album isn't doing it for me? Please don't let this put you off though their other albums are 5 star!!
Published 14 months ago by gillian

5.0 out of 5 stars these things take time, 31 Dec 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Children of Morrissey & David Byrne, 9 July 2008
This review is from: Limbo, Panto (Audio CD)
Without doubt the british album of the year.
Quirky, Eccentric, Funny and above all an overdue antedote to the Indie Formulaic British Bands and Billie Holliday/Dusty Springfield wannabes.
SENSATIONAL!

5.0 out of 5 stars Will a better debut be released this year?, 17 Jun 2008
S. Reid "happy_daze" (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Limbo, Panto (Audio CD)
When I heard Elbow's "The Seldom Seen Kid" I was convinced I wouldnt hear a better album all year. I may now have to revise that opinion because this album is simply breathtaking.

Swooping vocals, irresistable melodies, layered arrangements and (finally) a lyricist to match Morrisey for kitchen sink melodrama tinged with ambiguous sexual yearning. The falsetto vocals may not be to everyones taste but its not just this that stands this band head and shoulders above their contempories. Its the sheer bravado this band have, at points it sounds like the songs will collapse under the weight of disparate ideas. But, thrillingly, they have the talent to come back from the brink. Its a roller coaster ride that mocks tired guitar bands following the Coldplay blueprint. There are more ideas in the first track than Coldplay, Keane and Snow Patrol have mustered in their entire output to date.

I rarely get excited by new music nowadays but I cant praise this excellent album enough. Dive in.

4.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous stuff - but please give it your undivided!, 18 Dec 2008
This review is from: Limbo, Panto (Audio CD)
There are two albums I've badly misjudged on first listen this year. One is the truly sumptous and incredibly 'Fed' by Plush, which I stuck on one evening when washing the dishes. And the other is 'Limbo Panto' by Wild Beasts, which I attempted to listen to while doing some work at the kitchen table.
Suffice it to say that both of these albums (but particularly Limbo) will REALLY hit the spot if you give them your undivided attention. The Wild Beasts simply don't work as background music - the singer's incredible, soaring falsetto (with a bit of gravel whisked in for extra effect) will simply grate unless you surrender yourself to it completely.

The arrangments are mostly stunning, with beautiful warm sounds on all the instruments, and the songs themselves are attractively put together and laden with hooks. Not quite sure what the lyrics are all about but it's all very mad and bubbly. And bombastic too, so if Sparks, 10CC and the more over-the-top early Queen albums don't press your buttons, it's probably best to stay well clear.

A distinctive, character-full album. Dive in and enjoy, but stay off the washing up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow wow wow!!!, 23 Aug 2011
This review is from: Limbo, Panto (Audio CD)
The first Wild Beasts album I bought was Two Dancers, which I bought following their performance of All The Kings Men on Jools Holland. Two Dancers was not immediate (none of the best albums are) but soon became an all time favourite of mine. I approached Limbo Panto with trepidation, however, due to reviews suggesting it's was even more eccentric than Two Dancers. Boy am I glad I took the risk!!

I think the fact that I listened to the slightly less eccentric, less brash second album helped with getting to grips with Limbo Panto. Songs like The Club of Fathomless Love or Woebegone Wanderers would have been much less immediate if I hadn't been 'broken in' gently to the Wild Beasts sound with Two Dancers. The two abovementioned songs are excellent (eventually) but the standouts include The Devil's Crayon, His Grinning Skull, Please, Sir and She Purred, While I Grrred. In all honesty there isn't anything which comes close to a poor song.

The musicianship on show is phenomenal. There are so many layers to the Wild Beasts sound that you will discover something new with every listen. Vocally, both Tom and Hayden are on top form. Overall, I prefer Tom's voice to Hayden's (listen to The Devil's Crayon!) but that is my personal preference. Hayden's vocal during Please, Sir is as equally brilliant.

In summary, Limbo Panto is a brilliant album that has rendered the rest of my record collection pointless! It really is that good and will stay in your cd player for months after you've bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mad as a box of frogs...and utterly brilliant., 24 Jun 2011
This review is from: Limbo, Panto (Audio CD)
I came to Wild Beasts first through Two Dancers then the sublime sensuousness of Smother [which has got to be 2011's album of the year.] So I thought I'd better give their debut album a go as I'd missed it first time round, and boy am I glad I did.

You can see now that the opening rack- Vigil for a Fuddy Duddy- with its effortless complexity and three cleverly synched movements, is probably one of the most confident calling cards any band has ever achieved. Then onto the music hall theatricals of Club of Fathomless Love, before falling headlong into the bonkers pop of The Devil's Crayon, and you very quickly realise this debut album is putting you in a very special place indeed.

The quality continues without any let up for the rest of the album and one is left utterly uplifted by the whole sequence of songs; not something that can be said for many of the new bands to have emerged over the past five years or so. An absolute tour de force.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bring on Album number 2, 21 Oct 2008
N. Bosworth "nicktherockstar" (Derby, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Limbo, Panto (Audio CD)
I got hold of this album on the strength of the single "Brave Bulging Buoyant Clairvoyants" with its edgy groovy beat and mesmerising video. I have to admit it... I was disappointed. The rest of the album lacks toe tapping addictiveness of the single, making it... as with so many album v single situations these days... a bit of a red herring.

At this point I wouldn't blame most people for never bothering to listen to the album again. But because I know from experience you cannot judge an album without listening at least five times I left it in the car and let it work its quirky squeaky charm on me.

What I discovered... as is often the case. The more commercial single faded away as the moody subtle tracks on the rest of the album started to shine, and boy... do they shine. It did take a lot of listens. Maybe up to ten to really start to "get" the album, but the end result is well worth the patients.

I would probably say if you are the sort of person that likes the post o.k. computer radiohead, chances are you will find what I have found in this album, If you tastes are a little more on the radio friendly side, it may not captivate you in quite the same way.

The only real gripe I have with the album... the thing I would advise them to do for album #2 is the balance between the two singers is too swayed towards the high end. One of them does a few tracks in a kind of editors but credible kind of tone, and I think they could of used this a bit more to balance it out.

Over all it's a 4/5. Its not a life changing album, and you probably wont be listening to it in a few years time. What it is however is the sign of one of the most promising potentials I have heard in a very long time. There is an overwhelming sense of a band just dipping their toes in the water here. You cannot help but feel they have so much more to do yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 29 July 2014
Excellent cd thanks

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought on a whim, 14 July 2013
This review is from: Limbo, Panto (Audio CD)
Never heard of the Wild Beast until they played at a festival and I wanted to hear more. Good tunes, weird lyrics, would have wished that some of the tunes from other albums were on this CD but over all I like it. Some of their other albums have less hits and more misses that this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Love this band......, 8 July 2013

Limbo, Panto
Limbo, Panto by Wild Beasts (Audio CD - 2008)