5.0 out of 5 stars Mellotrontastic
Published on 21 Jan 2004 by russell clarke

3.0 out of 5 stars Moody Blues review
Replacing my vinyl with CD.
Pure old school sounds. Only 1 album of many.
Great sounds to chill out to.
Published 13 months ago by Douglas McClure

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Mellotrontastic, 21 Jan 2004
russell clarke "stipesdoppleganger" (halifax, west yorks) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
The Moody Blues have always been a guilty pleasure. Back in the halcyon days of the seventies when punk was in full spittle driven flow I would publicly laud The Sex Pistols, Clash etc, but behind closed doors I would raid my dads L.P, s and The Moody Blues were the band I kept coming back to. Apart from the quality of the song writing the most consistently appealing thing about them were they were the only band I knew of who used the mellotron. What a fantastic sound, eerie, atmospheric and if I may be permitted spiritual. The great thing about “To our Childrens Childrens Children” is it is absolutely awash with it.
Apart from” Floating” (“Floating, free as a bird/ Fifty foot leaps/ it’s so absurd”. I ask you.) Which is the contractual slightly embarrassing track that every Moody Blues album contains this is a collection of superb songs. On the two songs Mike Pinder contributes to the mellotron comes to the fore.” Out and in “has a slightly queasy mellotron melody, while “Sun is still Shining” is sublime with if I’m not mistaken a sitar twanging in the background. “Candle of Life” is the mellotron at it,s finest, gorgeous waves of sound ebb and flow.It,s soothing and invigorating at the same time.A neat trick.
Justin Hayward sing some wonderful ballads. The simple acoustic bookends “I never thought I, d live to be a hundred/million” and “Watching and Waiting” where that mellotron provides suitably plaintive backing. “Gypsy” is probably the most well known track and is the most up-tempo track on the album, with a furiously strummed guitar propelling the song along. “Eyes of a child Pts 1/ 2” feature more haunting mellotron as does “Eternity Road” which proves not all songs written by Ray Thomas have to make you curl your toes in embarrassment.
Along with “Every good boy deserves favour” this is my favourite Moody Blues album. It’s funny how things turn out. A punk icon appears on the sad but compelling “Im a celeb” and disgraces the memory of the movement he once spearheaded, ( Or is he being subversive?) Somehow I can’t imagine Justin Hayward demeaning himself in the same way. Listening to the Moody Blues may have been a guilty pleasure once but now I don’t feel guilty. I just enjoy a band at the peak of their power. A pleasure and an enduring one at that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not their most famous album, 21 Mar 2009
Stephen Haire "Steve Haire" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: To Our Children's Children's Children (Audio CD)
This band probably started the crossover mix of pop with a classical style and whilst most will be familiar with "Nights in White Satin" I think this is by far their best work with such tracks as the haunting 'I never thought I'd live to be a million', 'Eyes of a child', 'Candle of Life' and 'Watching and Waiting' this is an album to be listened to in a darkened room with your favourite tipple. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical Whimsey, 5 Nov 2003
Martin A Hogan "Marty From SF" (San Francisco Bay Area) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Virtually nearing their peak of popularity in the late sixties, this album speaks of a group confident in it’s talent and relaxed enough to bring out their best. This long titled album lacks any unnecessary urgency and seems more poetic and romantic with listen after listen.
The introduction to a Moody Blues album has continued to be a great motif. ”Higher And Higher” is no exception with its thrilling crescendo segueing into the exciting “Gypsy”. Both versions of “Eyes Of A Child” bring out the tenderest qualities in a verse and work well (along with the “I Never Thought I’d Live…”) as being a cohesive part of this concept album. “Floating”, “Beyond” and “Out And In” are all of whimsically, near fairy tale quality. Among the truly most romantic Moody Blues songs are “Candle Of Life”, a mood enhancing, spirited song and “Watching And Waiting” is one of their best ballads. These are magical soul searchers.
As one of the strongest concept albums of that decade and also containing some of the best lyrics and melodies of that time, one cannot lose with this set. The digitally re-enhancement adds a significant amount of quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars The very best of the Moody Blues, 23 Oct 2000
By A Customer
To Our Children's Children's Children was the first Moodies album I bought way back in 1969. I hadn't actually listened to it, or any Moodies for that matter, for some years as all my albums are vinyl and I've been without a turntable for ages. Their latest offering (Strange Times), released last year, sparked a renewed interest and I decided to begin building up a CD collection of their material. I began with On the Threshold of a Dream and then bought TOCCC. From the very first "blast off" to the last fade out I was mesmerised. This wonderful piece of music, although now over 30 years old, sounded so fresh it was like hearing it for the first time again. The space theme throughout is captured wonderfully by the band and their producer, Tony Clarke, and the songs flow together really well. The highlights, for me, are "Out and In", "Candle of Life" and "Watching and Waiting", but the album should definately be listened to as a whole. If anyone out there has lost touch with the Moodies or wishes to revisit (or just visit) the 60s, I would recommend giving the CD a listen - you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars TOCCC - A Classic, 1 Jun 2009
This review is from: To Our Children's Children's Children (Audio CD)
The Moody Blues are my favourite musical artists, so my review is biased. This is one of the Moodies "Classic 7" and although IMO not the best of them, has always been a favourite. Thought provoking lyrics and lovely melodies, beautifully arranged and performed. The voices of Justin Hayward and Ray Thomas are just great. Get the SACD version with extra tracks!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest albums of all time, 16 July 2000
By A Customer
Just as the finest wines are not be found in most homes, so one of the finest albums ever made never gets the credit it deserves. One of the few genuine concept albums that works, TOCCC is a delight from the hard rocking opening of Higher and Higher through the more softer, philosophical, acoustic numbers to the finale of Watching and Waiting. Of the famous seven albums, this is the one you must not miss. Forget any other sixties group, this album will put you into outer space.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't feel guilty, 12 Feb 2004
David Pimbley (Leatherhead, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I make no apologies. I'm a Moodies fanatic and have been ever since that magical moment when I first heard Days of Future Passed on my old mono Bush record player. That shows my age, but I dare you to find any group that has consistently written such good music for nigh on 40 years! And Justin Hayward is such an underrated songwriter. OK so there are some duffers on all their albums and Ray Thomas writes kinda whimsically, but he has also produced some of their great ones too. Don't focus on individual tracks too much - listen to the albums as a whole, particularly the early ones and don't feel guilty - they just can't be bettered. I've replaced all my first 5 vinyl records and updated my collection with the later albums. And I disagree with farrout.... This is one of their best - turn down the lights, pour yourself a beer and float away on some of the greatest Moodies music ever. As other reviews have said this one leaves you feeling good and wanting more. Buy it now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional, and beautiful remastering, 11 April 2012
Mr. J. A. Smith "thetoot" (Blackwell) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: To Our Children's Children's Children (Audio CD)
Others have said how fantastic this album is, and it really is a beautiful piece of work.

But I wanted to add a little about the remastering. The last cd edition had some areas of distortion, especially on the low frequencies (particularly in the song 'Floating') These are now all gone. In fact, the remastering job here is fantastic, there is now a brilliant balance.

The Moody Blues are still an under-appreciated band, particularly in their own country. I would highly recommend exploring their catalogue if you have not already done so. This is a pretty great place to start.

One warning - don't listen on shuffle. This is, like Abbey Road, an album to be taken as a whole, in sequence.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 15 Jun 2011
This review is from: To Our Children's Children's Children (Audio CD)
I had this when it was first released but ex wife sold all my music,now i have got it again after thiry odd years i just wish i had not waited so long as i think it is a master piece, to me its the best they made.With some luck i may get to see them live again before we are all gone far into the misty cloud.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moody Blues Album, 15 Nov 2010
P. R. Greenbaum "Paul G" (Rayleigh Essex UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: To Our Children's Children's Children (Audio CD)
I have wanted to own some of the older Moody Blues albums for some time but
have been put off by the cost in a record shop. I was very pleased to see this on Amazon for [...]
including free delivery. Album arrived quickly and is a great addition to my collection.

Paul G

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

To Our Children's Children's Children
To Our Children's Children's Children by The Moody Blues (Audio CD - 2008)