5.0 out of 5 stars Fab fun for all the family
Published on 26 Sep 2010 by Mrs. G. Conyard

3.0 out of 5 stars fun product
bought this for a garden party..it turned out to be a good purchase as everyone joined in and kept the kids occupied
Published 19 months ago by ms j athersych

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab fun for all the family, 26 Sep 2010
Mrs. G. Conyard "gem conyard" (Christchurch, Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Traditional Garden Games Sports Day Set (Toy)
I bought this for a recent holiday with family. There were 19 of us ranging in ages from 6 weeks to 55yrs and I wanted to bring out the child in all of us so thought this would be fun. We'd hired a photographer to take pics of us as a group as it was a bit of a family reunion and we set this up while she was there and she stayed to take pics of us all being big kids and having fun. The equipment is basic but good quality. The sacks were big enough and strong enough for all the adults (and we have some large ones in our family!) and the kids thought they were great. The Egg and spoon race was great, the eggs are a little on the light side so fell off quite easily but still good fun. We did various races with the bean bags, adults had them on their heads and kids crawled with them on their backs. The only thing that was a bit of a let down were the 3-legged race bands, they were really too big and came undone very easily.
As school sports days are so non-competitive these days it was great to go with tradition and battle it out. We added in some of our own races, buggy races for the babies etc and everyone said it was the best day of the holiday! Needless to say we got some fantastic photo's of us all having genuine fun, I haven't laughed so much in ages! Would deffinately recommend for a large group. I'm planning to use the set at the youth club that I work in soon as I think anyone can have fun with this set, even hormonal teens!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant fun for all ages!, 1 Oct 2009
L. Howard (Far North of Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Traditional Garden Games Sports Day Set (Toy)
I bought two of these for a family get together and they proved to be a great success with everyone from aged 3 to 63. I did wonder if the sacks would be very strong but they proved to be extremely durable. Great value for money and will give pleasure for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every loser wins, 24 Jun 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Traditional Garden Games Sports Day Set (Toy)
I bought this for a recent family get-together. Now, this was a collection of adults and they were expecting an afternoon of lazing in the sunshine while polishing off a couple of boxes of wine. However, the opportunity to watch my father, notoriously pompous and an extraordinarily bad loser, tackling an egg and spoon race like there was an Olympic gold waiting for him at the end of it was just too delicious for me to resist.

This set comes with everything you see in the picture plus appropriate instructions in three languages. These do seem to suggest that this is a child's game but I see no reason why grown-ups can't get a piece of that action. The assembled crowd that afternoon certainly saw it that way - after some initial grumbling and groaning anyway. The various bits and pieces are very helpfully provided in four colours which, with eight adults, was clearly going to mean two in each team. That's where things started going just a tiny bit wrong. Nobody wanted my father on their team, given that he was bound to take the whole thing too seriously. And nobody wanted me on their team either, given that I 'throw, run and catch like a girl'. Now, I can't deny that accusation (it's these moobs I think), but I must question why any of that might be a negative thing. Rather tragically, that put us both on the same team. The only good thing about it was that I made sure we were the Pink Team. You should have seen his face.

We set up the start and finish lines and got cracking with the first event - the bean bag race. I was the winner of that one although not, as one of my opponents so harshly suggested, because of my fat head. Actually, it wasn't my opponent at all... for some reason it was my own team-mate. He had his own chance to shine in the next event, the sack race. I couldn't have done that one anyway due to the fact I am ever so slightly overweight at the moment. The sacks are made of sturdy enough material and would have just about been roomy enough for me, but there were some quite legitimate concerns that me jumping around the garden might dislodge some of the roof tiles or somehow damage the foundations of the house so I was forced to take a rain check. It was worth that personal humiliation to watch my team-mate's own humiliation, as he and his sack were completely left for dust. He was such a bad loser that I had to laugh. Well, until he came towards me rather aggressively with a garden fork I did, anyway.

The egg and spoon race was next. This was to be a relay, requiring a smooth changeover and perfect co-ordination. Teamwork, in other words. We came last in that one by some considerable margin. Oh, those eggs are rather delicate by the way. If your team-mate decides to blame you for losing and crushes them with his bare hands it won't necessarily mean he's got the strength of Lou Ferrigno, so don't be overly impressed. My own team-mate went as pink as our team colours and I had to laugh. Well, until he came towards me rather aggressively yet again with that garden fork I did, anyway.

The last race was one we were clearly never, ever going to win: the three legged race. The word 'partners' is used in the rules to this particular game as well as a dire warning of the consequences if the Velcro band which holds these 'partners' together should fall off... you have to go back to the start. I'm not entirely convinced we ever actually made it more than one step away from the start in any case. 'Partners'? We were like Tony Curtis and Sidney Poitier in 'The Defiant Ones'. I was dressed more like Tony Curtis in 'Some Like it Hot' actually, but you get the general idea.

This sports day set was tremendous fun to use and really helped to make our get-together particularly memorable. The other players all said they had not had so much fun in years. I have to agree with that sentiment, because I certainly haven't laughed so much in years. Even the person I was laughing at got something positive from the experience when he subsequently hurled the box and all its contents into next-door's garden, thereby (finally) winning an event outright. Great fun.

4.0 out of 5 stars ok product but bit miffed that tesco wasn't on the description, 6 Nov 2012
This review is from: Traditional Garden Games Sports Day Set (Toy)
I bought this based on others' feedback and the fact that it suddenly had a price drop. I was a bit surprised to receive a product from tesco (no where on this product description does it state that is a tesco direct product). I'm now very glad that I didn't pay the original price as it's only £14 on tescos and I could have used reward vouchers instead.
That all said, it looks like a good product though i'll be making some bean bags as these are too small and too light for the job!

4.0 out of 5 stars good, no nonsense fun, 28 July 2010
This review is from: Traditional Garden Games Sports Day Set (Toy)
Good, fun product. Everything works really well and does what it's supposed to do. This was used with kids ranging in age from 3 to 12 and they all enjoyed it. The only bug bare is that the eggs get squashed very very easily and its not possible to help them regain their shape.

5.0 out of 5 stars KIDS PARTY GAMES, 5 Mar 2014
This review is from: Traditional Garden Games Sports Day Set (Toy)
VERY GOOD GARDEN GAMES PACK,WE USED IT FOR STREET PARTY AND THE KIDS LOVED IT AND CAN BE USED AGAIN AND AGAIN

5.0 out of 5 stars get it!, 6 Nov 2013
Ola P (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Traditional Garden Games Sports Day Set (Toy)
I bought this set to entertain 4 year olds at our bday party. I don't know who had more fun, parents or children. We did all runs, various combinations, and seemed to me people had good fun. Will use again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sports Games Set, 24 Aug 2013
This review is from: Traditional Garden Games Sports Day Set (Toy)
The kids and adults loved it...the only negative point I would make is that the egg and spoon race, the egg dents, my sons is 3 and he pressed the egg which has ruined the shape. They could do with being solid. Otherthan that no complaints.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for a summer party, 20 Aug 2013
Mrs. C. Mcallister (London England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Traditional Garden Games Sports Day Set (Toy)
Perfect if you are planny a sports themed childrens party. It had everythign we needed including start and finnish lines. My kids aged 10 were a bit old for the games but we adapted them adn they had lots of fun. For younger kids (say 6 - 9) the set woudl be perfect.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really like this., 20 Aug 2013
This review is from: Traditional Garden Games Sports Day Set (Toy)
I live in Italy and got this out for a play date with Italian friend who had never seen these games . The kids enjoyed it. You can make up your own games, relay and combination. Even throwing bean bags in a bucket. It quite easy and inexpensive and the children loved it.

Traditional Garden Games Sports Day Set