Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Amazon Pantry Food & Drink Beauty Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio CDChange

on 24 November 2008
This collects the five sixties albums together with bonus tracks, all in cardboard sleeves inside a solid cardboard slipcase. The package is very light. The only criticism is that there is no booklet. All these albums are important, although I'm not so sure I like the live disc so much. Surrealistic Pillow is one of the best albums of the sixties and the others are not far behind. The group is technically one of the best of the period with a terrific bassist and lead guitarist. The stereo recording is excellent.
33 comments53 of 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 July 2014
They say that if you can remember the sixties you probably weren't there . I must have been there because I have no recollection of ever having heard Jefferson Airplane . I bought this bargain box set to plug the hole in my head . They are clearly one of the essential sixties bands . The two singers are a surprise - Marty Balin sounds as if he would be comfortable strumming a guitar and warbling folkie songs in the upstairs room of the Cumberland Arms on a Saturday night while Grace Slick could take centre stage in a Bertolt Brecht production . The bass player is pretty good too . Can see myself going back to this one .
on 5 August 2014
Fancy a trip back to the psychedelic 60s? Well take a flight with Jefferson Airplane and you'll be there before you know it! These five albums are incredibly good value for money and chart what is probably the most interesting and productive time in the history of the group. The first 'Jefferson Airplane takes off' is interesting but not so radically different from what other groups were doing at that time (hence it just stops this being a five-star review). So the collection really gets going with 'Surrealistic Pillow' and the addition of Grace Slick's excellent vocals and writing. I think it's fair to say from that point on the albums get progressively better and far more psychedelic (definitely five star material). The last album in the collection is the live one and live albums can sometimes be a bit of a mixed bag, but in the main this is genuinely interesting and gives an indication of what an fascinating group Jefferson Airplane were. Too many interesting tracks to single out any, my advice is immerse yourself in the music and be amazed!
on 7 December 2010
I'm not going to write lots of waffle because in my view music is too personal and emotional, and most reviews do nothing for me. What I will say is that this includes 5 complete albums from this amazing group, including one live set, with an incredible number of wonderful songs. Old favourites such as Plastic Fantastic Lover are here, along with many equally good songs I had not heard before. If you like the Airplane, and you don't have these albums, then get this boxed set. It's a bargain. If you don't know the Airplane, then get over to YouTube, listen to some songs, and I'm sure you'll be back to buy this boxed set.
0Comment18 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 March 2014
Worthwhile purchase. Solid mainstream psychedelic rock early material from these long stayers and innovative pioneers of the west coast rock music world. Great to hear again.
on 5 December 2010
Why buy compilations when you can get all the first five JA albums for £11.99. Takes Off with Signe Anderson is really underated. OK she doesn't have the Slick charisma but I found her a fine singer in her own right. Each album is essential to collectors of 60s West Coast Rock (don't forget to add The Great Society to your list). Bless It's Pointed Little Head shows JA to be the tightest of the West Coast bands live, with the arguable exception of The Doors. My Fave is Crown Of Creation - obviously I am not alone in this as Mojo readers selected this is number 1 in the January 2011 issue. Finally, Surrealistic Pillow although it contains their two best tracks is to my ears the least of these five albums, although still worth having.
0Comment14 of 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 May 2010
Ah, those far off halycon days of rizlas, roaches and records.
Packaging minimal, sounds immense, nostalgia unlimited.
11 comment13 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 July 2015
The bonus tracks don't add much (except on the live album) and JA really was a hit or miss on their album tracks. Never a fan of pre-Slick era, Surrealistic Pillow and Crown of Creation are the best of the box IMO. Not really fair from my side since JA is the only band of the Californian 60's scene (thgeir scene, better saying) that I really like but Volunteers and Bark touch me more. All in all a good acquisition for a relative low price - remastered and expanded.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 August 2015
Wonderful set of albums,(all classics!) I knew all the albums ,except one,and that was a great live album,Bless it's little pointed head,which I wouldn't have known about had it not been included in the box set.There were no bonus tracks,but I really don't need them anyway.I prefer the original album running order.All in all a good buy and recommended,as it's also a bargain price for 5 albums.

Box set came in good time and I was well pleased.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 August 2012
The albums are fantastic examples of the gems the 60's had to offer in terms of the arts. Concerning this particular album collection all of the CDs are in cardboard sleeves which graphically feature shrunk to scale copies of the original LPs artwork, which is a nice touch. In reference to a previous review, the bonus tracks do not appear on the back of the individual sleeves as fore mentioned they are shrunk down copies of the LPs and by virtue of this have the original track listings, however the complete track listing for each album does appear on the back of the the thicker cardboard sleeve which holds the individual sleeves, so the bonus tracks are listed. Brilliant value considering the quality of the music and I would highly recommended this collection to anybody blessed with the ability to hear sound.