5.0 out of 5 stars Kentucky Fried Magic
Along with "At Dawn", "The Tennessee Fire" was the second of two My Morning Jacket albums released in 2002 on the Darla label. Now they're both out here in the UK on Witchita, and although this one is not altogether unlike "At Dawn", different it certainly is.
Published on 3 Mar. 2003 by Michael Thomson

2.0 out of 5 stars Buy anything by this great band except this
I love MMJ. Don't get me wrong. I'd recommend any of their albums to anybody:just not this one! No tunes you see, they put them all on At Dawn which came out at the same time over here and mercifully I bought first. For completists only.
Published on 9 Jun. 2008 by SP Crowley

5.0 out of 5 stars Kentucky Fried Magic, 3 Mar. 2003
This review is from: The Tennessee Fire (Audio CD)
The obvious Neil Young/Lynard Skynard reference points remain, and Jim James' vocals are as heartfelt and splintered as always. This time, though, some of their more leftfield influences come out to the fore. Now, you can just about imagine Nina Simone and Etta James blaring out across the farm where My Morning Jacket used to rehearse.
Pleasingly lo-fi, sounding altogether rougher, rustic and a lot more country than their other album, this is a record stripped in every way imaginable of unnecessary polish. The result is the raw sound of an extremely accomplished, creative band and the untainted interpretations of some quite extraordinary songs. “I Will Be There When You Die” is a melancholic but deceptively bleak acoustic number with a dark twist of humour; “The Dark” almost twinkles its way through the Kentucky night sky before morphing into a peculiar, pastoral amalgam of Talking Heads and the Kinks; and at the risk of making a lazy comparison, “Heartbreakin’ Man”, to my mind, conjured up images of the Beatles with Robert Johnson instead of Paul McCartney.
We’d better be clear: this is not recommended for anyone for whom being tarred and feathered on Tooting Bec Common is infinitely preferable to listening to sixty minutes worth of country songs. However for the rest of us, we have an ideal album with which to kick back, relax and enjoy some prime-cut, dextrous, almost ethereal music.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not country, something far better, 5 Mar. 2004
David J. Kelly (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Tennessee Fire (Audio CD)
Don't be put off by anyone who says this is a country album. It's not, it defies classification and no musical taxonomy other than "americana" fits. The lead singer and songwriter, Jim James, has a voice which reminds the listener of both Neil Young and Wayne Coyne and it perfectly fits the accompaniment given by the rest of the band. The music evokes rural America, without being in any significant way countryish. Haunting and beautiful are two words I would use to describe this album. The standout track is "I will be with you until you die" but not by much.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must for MMJ fans, 10 Nov. 2009
Paul "Paul" (Newcastle, Tyne and Wear, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tennessee Fire (Audio CD)
I would say buy this CD for 3 songs alone... The Bear, Nashville to Kentucky and By My Car. There are many other good tracks on here, but they are the ones that stand out for me.

If you haven't bought an MMJ album before, this is a good starting point - although i would personally recommend At Dawn.

I'm not going to write a review that compares MMJ to any other band - because that would be unfair. A little bit country, a little bit rock maybe... but there are many influences throughout all of their work. Their willingness to experiment on later albums makes it difficult to put them into a specific box. This album is a more stripped down sound, but the trademark reverb is used to great effect. And the lyrics as sharp and beautiful as ever...

"Somewhere, someone thinks of me. I just wish it was somewhere i could find"

5.0 out of 5 stars My first MMJ album, 26 July 2008
This review is from: The Tennessee Fire (Audio CD)
loved it from the moment i heard it. the low fi sound quality took me back to the days when i was in various bands myself. Its not a barrier to enjoying the songs, but it has to be said that people expecting a well produced album wont get it. The drums are recorded with one microphone by the sounds of things, although the vocal and guitars fare better sound wise.

MMJ are a great modern rock band, but this shows their roots better than any other of their albums. its not their best album, but its an essential purchase. Its got that bedroom demo feeling, back in a pre- mass-internet time where people actually recorded their demo's on tape.

for fans only.. perhaps... though it did make me a fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not so well known , but perfect in every way................, 20 Jan. 2015
An utterly wondrous creation. Very lo-fi (recorded in a barn i think !) but stuffed with superb , heartfelt songs. Personally i think this is the best album they have made and i love it to bits , sublime.

2.0 out of 5 stars Buy anything by this great band except this, 9 Jun. 2008
SP Crowley "stevec" (North London) - See all my reviews

The Tennessee Fire [VINYL]
The Tennessee Fire [VINYL] by My Morning Jacket (Vinyl - 2008)
Click for more info
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available