5.0 out of 5 stars He's not Steve Perry........... he's Arnel Pineda
I had heard Arnel sing on you tube with his band The zoo and was pleasantly surprised at his vocal strength. He can handle the old songs very well and adds something extra to the new material.

Published on 12 Jun. 2008 by C. E. Shaw

3.0 out of 5 stars Best Journey album without Steve Perry
This is the first album with Arnel on lead vocals and you get plenty for your money....a new studio album of original material plus a live cd with Arenl providing lead vocals on some of the bands classic tracks from the Steve Perry era.
Its the best album they have done without Steve on lead vocals and is more rockier than the last SP album Trial by Fire and is...
Published on 21 Jun. 2009 by S. K. FLORA

5.0 out of 5 stars He's not Steve Perry........... he's Arnel Pineda, 12 Jun. 2008
C. E. Shaw (St Helens UK) - See all my reviews

Revelation is just that, The first disk is new material except track 5
Faith in the Heartland which was also on the Generations album sung by Steve Augeri. I like both versions but Arnel just shades it for me.

Many of the songs are very typical journey with a brilliant line up of very talented musicians.
Neal Schon plays some excellent guitar including an instrumental track but Arnel adds a slight gritty edge to the vocal. Were Arnel comes into his own is on track 6 'After all these years' which is a slow but powerful song and one of my favourites.
This is also evident in track 10 'Turn down the world tonight' which is another excellent track and adds another side to the talents of the band musically.
I have always loved Perry's vocal but i think Arnel adds an extra raw edge to the band. I also liked the rerecorded old songs on Cd2 and was impressed.

If you are real Journey fan Like me I would get the US version (which arrived this morning)which also includes a DVD live in Vegas which shows how good Arnel is.

I Liked Steve Augeri who was with Tall stories and Jeff Scott Soto who filled in on last the tour, but I think Arnel is better suited.
I don't think anyone can be disappointed in this new material.
Looking forward to seeing them at Manchester on the 19th June.
GO BUY IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pineda is well suited, 13 Jun. 2008
C. E. Shaw (St Helens UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Revelation (2cd+Dvd) (Audio CD)
I'm not quite sure were R.J.W is coming from on this one. I am a fan of both Augeri (Tall Stories) and Soto and believe they are both excellent vocalists in their own right.

Musically I don't think Journeys type of music suited Jeff. He is more of a rocker who has his own ideas as to which direction he wants to go and I genuinely believe that it wasn't the same as The rest of the band. Neal worked with Jeff in a band called Soul sirkus which has a more raw edge to it's music and would not be associated to Journey's melodic sound.

I wish them both the best in whatever they do.

As for the Cd.

Revelation is just that, The first disk is new material except track 5

I don't think anyone can be disappointed in this new material.
Looking forward to seeing them at Manchester on the 19th June.
GO BUY IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Revealing Journey, 11 Jun. 2008
This review is from: Revelation (Audio CD)
After a wait of 3 years - and some vocalist musical chairs! - Journey are back again. And I have to say, after thinking that, not so long ago, the Journey might've come to an end, this album is truly a revelation! With the incredible find of new vocalist, Arnel P. (surely by divine providence), Journey are sounding just as good as ever.

Arnel has to be the nearest anyone could get to honouring the great Voice of Mr Perry - and yet have his own distinct style. He really does have what it takes to sing Journey's great repertoire. Arnel has the power and depth that S. Augeri inevitably lacked (without taking anything away from his time with Journey).

This album contains some classic Journey songs written primarily by Jon Cain and Neal Schon. There are echoes from almost every Journey album, and yet it has a new, fresh feel to it too.

The opener 'Never Walk Away' is very much a 'Be Good to Yourself' kind of song. The melody stays with you quite easily. 'Change For The Better' has the 'Higher Place' kinda feel to it, and it also reminds me a little of Kansas. 'Wildest Dream' stands out as quite a rocker, leaning in a slightly different direction in the vein of a few tracks from 'Generations.'

I'm not quite sure why they re-recorded 'Faith in the Heartland' from 'Generations,' anyhow, even with Arnel's strong vocals, I actually prefer the original. 'After All These Years' is a classic Journey ballad, written by Mr J. Cain in the way he does best. This song, and Mr Schon's wonderful guitar playing, sends shivers down my spine!

'The Journey (Revelation)' is a very interesting eastern-sounding Neal Schon instrumental that could easily have come from one of his solo albums.

I could give a track-by-track analysis, but I won't! To summarise, I would conclude that there isn't a weak track on this album, apart from maybe the bonus track on this European release - Let It Take You Back. It's good, but nothing special.

Now I have to say, when it came to listening to Disc 2, the 'greatest hits re-do's,' I didn't think I was going to like it much - but - to my surprise, I even found myself at times forgetting that I was listening to a new vocalist, and that this wasn't Steve Perry! Arnel does an incredible job - and apparently with ease! It's also interesting to hear a few new 'live version' endings to some of these classic songs, with a few longer solos by Neal.

It's also great to hear the drums of Deen C. on these classics, honouring the likes of Steve Smith and A. Dunbar. And Ross Valory finally gets to record his bass playing on 'Be Good To Yourself' (as he wasn't on the ROR album!).

Overall, this Revelation package is a must for all fans of Journey, and melodic rock in general. This album has to be one of the best Journey albums since the 80's for overall quality,(without diminishing 'Trial By Fire' or the Steve Augeri albums, I love them all) and its overall feel and message is very positive.

All in all, Journey have made a comeback as the kings of the genre that is Melodic Rock. As a long time Journey fan - I'm very glad about that!

4.0 out of 5 stars Journey still producing good stuff!, 12 Jun. 2008
This review is from: Revelation (Audio CD)
There have been some strange goings on in the Journey camp over the last year or so but we are where we are now and the fact that a new album has actually been released is something to be admired in itself considering how long it takes a number of the so called 'classic rock' bands to get albums out.

Revelation starts off with a 'Be Good To Yourself' style pop/rocker ("Don't Geeeve Up, Never Walk Away"!) and what we get throughout this album is a mix of Journey through the ages although not quite going as far back as the first 3 albums!
'Like A Sunshower' steps into 'Lights' and 'Too Late' territory and there then follows a couple of tracks (Change For The Better and Wildest Dream) which to me are more in the Bad English and 'Arrival' vein. Onwards to 'Faith In The Heartland' which doesn't quite work for me on this album - why bother? The album continues with a good balance of rockers and ballads, the highlight for me being 'Where Did I Lose Your Love'.

Obviously the playing is top notch, the songs and melodies are memorable and the overall sound of the album is great especially as the summer is (almost) here and it just has that feel about it!

Which brings me to Arnel Pineda - there are times on this release, mainly on the 're-recordings' disk, that he does sound like Steve Perry but to my ears it is only really apparent on the Journey classics. On tracks like Wildest Dream he just sounds like many other AOR style singers and definitely lacks the character that Steve Augeri brought (obviously I can't realistically compare him to Steve Perry!). At times he just sounds a bit whiney. It's almost like there are 2 singers - one that tries to imitate Steve Perry on his songs and one that sings like Arnel Pineda on the non-Perry songs.

Maybe it'll work out with Arnel, maybe not but it's an enjoyable album and pretty much what you'd expect from Schon/Cain album - overall, certainly on a par with 'Arrival' but if you can forget the comparisons with the past (it's difficult I know!) it's a good, classy melodic rock album which not many bands at this time of their careers will better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Revelation? yes it is........, 8 April 2011
Mr Blackwell (scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Revelation [2cd+Dvd] (Audio CD)
Like KISS' ltd edition 3 disc release of 'Sonic Boom',this contains a new album,re-recordings of classics and a live dvd,real value for money,especially if you shop around,i held off for quite some time,finally picked it up for around a tenner!!

Disc 1: a superb new album,from the opening moments of 'Never Walk Away' and Neil Schon's guitar flurry,this is instantly recognisable,no-one else sounds like Schon,truly underated when guitar hero lists are compiled,that sound,that tone,then the voice comes in,uncannily sounding like Steve Perry at times,quite simply a stunning opening to the disc particulary when followed by another excellent track 'Like a Sunshower',there you have it from the start both sides of Journey,rockers and ballads,a pattern thats continued throughout the disc.Highlights a plenty particularly the glorious 'Turn Down The World...' and the fantastic(instrumental) title track.

Disc 2: A collection of re-recorded tracks from the Perry era,none will beat the originals,although some earlier tracks such as 'Any Way You Want It' & 'Wheel In The Sky' benefit from the modern production.Still a thoroughly enjoyable retread through past glorious

Disc 3: The live dvd: certainly this is where it gets a bit surreal watching someone who sounds like perry but clearly aint,takes a bit of getting used to,certainly given thats he 'Younger' than the rest of the band Arnel bounces around the stage ,like a man that cant believe his luck and the fantastic gig that he's managed to get,all in all,he does a great job,the three tracks from the new disc all sound great live.Best bit the opening instrumental 'Sky Light'- i could keep that on repeat all day,quite simply mesmeric playing from Schon.The live dvd is pretty good,although 'Live In Manila ' is better.

So there you are a fantastic package,well worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 10 Jun. 2008
Chris Perkins (Colchester, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Revelation (Audio CD)
I am seriously impressed with this. Great songs, fabulous production and and a stellar new lead singer [Arnel Pineda] whose voice suits the band perfectly. The first disc of new material is simply brilliant - uplifting rock, moody ballads. There are some awesome moments where your ears prick up and go "Blimey - did I just hear that right?" - particularly Pineda's vocal after the solo on 'What I Needed', as good an example of mindblowing Perry-esque vocal acrobatics as you'll ever hear. The second disc, a run through of their classics, is good; my only note of disappointment is that it doesn't include a version of 'Ask the Lonely', but, hey, you can't have everything. Their best album since 'Frontiers', no word of a lie.

5.0 out of 5 stars A warm welcomem back, 4 Sept. 2008
J Waller (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Revelation (Audio CD)
After reading reviews of a couple of concerts I had doubts about buying this album, but after reading some of the other reviews here, I decided to take the plunge. All I can say is I'm glad I did. The new tracks on CD1 are of the highest quality, and in my opinion sound better than Journey did back in the late 1970's and early 80's. Arnel Pineda voice may not have the bluesy feel Steve Perry produce on some of the old tracks, but it still sounds like Journey. As per other Journey albums, you have high tempo comercial rock tracks like Never Walk Away and Change for The Better, but you also have the soft ballads of After All These Years and What I Needed

As for CD2, The re-recorded Greatest Hits, all I can say is Steve Who? I prefer them to the originals and they were classics of their time.

5.0 out of 5 stars past, present and future, 27 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Revelation (Audio CD)
I have all Journey cd's but I did not know they had recruited a new singer. Honestly if you don't look at the cover you will be fooled into believing that Steve Perry has come back, at least for the first songs. Afterwards the new guy - Pineda - makes his mark and he is a jewel they must absolutely keep: he can really emulate Steve Perry, and brings life into the new songs. And the latter are perfect, seems the Schon/Cain duet has received a lot of inspiration from having this new singer, most of the new songs are really good.
The CD is organised roughly in a "one rock - one slow" song pattern, and it is just great, nothing more to say.
Journey is definitely back in top form, I just HOPE they come to Europe !

5.0 out of 5 stars A "Revelation" pure and simple, 17 July 2008
Rubicon Blade (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Revelation (Audio CD)
If there is anyone out there who is contemplating buying this album and is in two minds whether or not to do so.
Then this review is directed at you.
I can't say it any more simply than this: With the exception of "Escape", THIS IS THE BEST JOURNEY ALBUM EVER.
Arnel Pineda is truly a superb vocalist who has laid the ghost of Steve Perry finally to rest.
I actually think that Pineda's voice has better timbre and is not as one dimensional as Perry's tended to be at times.
All of the new compositions on this awesome album are simply breathtaking, in fact, words fail me.
Well done Neal and thank god for YouTube.
Journey on my friends !
Until the next time.
Henry Oliver

5.0 out of 5 stars Journey are back....., 13 Jun. 2008
A. I. Knowles "Alivariax" (Isle of Skye) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Revelation (2cd+Dvd) (Audio CD)
..... and are better than ever!! Just received my copy sent over from the US and I am totally blown away by new boy Arnel Pineda. I have loved Journey for years & years, I do covers of a couple of their songs in my band ( not up to the standard of Arnel) and Steve Perry will always remain as the voice of Journey. But.....
Neil Schon has found a touch of magic with this guy. Ok, close your eyes and you do hear Steve but Arnel has his own touches in there, and I love it!! I was dis-allusioned with the other two before, but this makes me smile.... and smile... and smile... Thank you Neil, thank you Arnel and thank you to youtube for without you, this union may never have happened!

Revelation
Revelation by Journey (Audio CD - 2008)