4.0 out of 5 stars OK drive, but hot with no power switch.
Having been spending the last few weeks trying to recover from an HD crash (a 4 year old IBM/Hitachi Deskstar, aka, Deathstar), I got this LaCie drive to do regular backups. The item was delivered promptly with the usual Amazon efficiency and the disk has performed well with USB2, and Firewire400 & 800 connections.
The drawbacks to this drive is that it has no heat...
Published on 25 Dec. 2009 by AlphaDog

2.0 out of 5 stars Used to think they were good but not any more
Have bought 3 of these drives and was very happy with there performance until the most recent purchase, the drive died after less than a month taking 3 days hard work with it, complained to lacie and the response from them follows.

Thank you for contacting LaCie support. We're sorry to hear that your Rugged has failed as soon as it has. While we do make every...
Published on 16 Aug. 2009 by techy

5.0 out of 5 stars Another one added to my collection, 11 Dec. 2010
I now have six of these LaCie rugged drives and they have all behaved 100% reliably. I use them as a back up off site and their extreme portability and reasonable price combined with the option of having Firewire 800 makes them ideal for me as a Macbook Pro using photographer. I've even bought some different coloured jackets so that I can tell which are full and which are in use.

1.0 out of 5 stars high FAILURE rate, 9 Sept. 2013
This review is from: LaCie Rugged 500GB All-Terrain Hard Disk, FW800 FW400 USB2.0 (Personal Computers)
yest another failed LACIE drive.
Rugged ? maybe in appearance, but not performance and they are prone to overheating.

Repeated Failures 'just' outside the warranty period, so the innards do not match the exterior quality.

Have had several of these, all treated with respect, and all have failed. Google LACIE & forums.

would NOT recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars LaCie 500GB Rugged HD USB/FW 5400RPM 8MB, 8 April 2009
The fire wire 800 is very fast, the drive is very light
cant buy any better. Briliant portable hard drive.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 3 May 2011
I had to return the first one of these I bought as it didn't work properly with my macbook pro. However, the replacement works fine so I'm assuming the first was faulty. Does what I want it to do - backs up fast using Apple Time Machine. Not convinced it would survive a fall or knock but the rubber cover probably gives some protection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ive always been a fan, 28 Dec. 2009
I like to pay a little extra and try and buy something that is a bit more trusted and i think that i can trust this drive but the only thing i would say is that the rugged part is a bit i am not so impressed with. It is a bit floppy around the edges I think that they could have done it in a bit more of a less tacky way.

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Rubbish, 28 Jan. 2011
After using for about two months the usb port fell off and was unusable. Like others I have had dire customer service from Lacie.
I had to return the hard drive to France - at my cost - and they have now lost it!!!
They are rude and unhelpful. DO NOT BUY. The company is one of the worst I have ever dealt with.

4.0 out of 5 stars USB power, 23 Nov. 2009
The LaCie looks and feels great, is VERY lightweight and quick to use.
One -ve I've found is that some PCs require both USB and the USB to power cables plugged in which uses 2 USB sockets for one hard drive.
I'm confident it will last a long time though as the connections are well protected.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fast but POOR Firewire hardware longevity, 13 July 2010
I was initially very happy with the LaCie but then the Firewire 800 port starting giving a lot of grief after just 2 months. Now incredibly difficult to even use the drive even with changing to other cables. Very poor hardware. Had to buy equivalent Iomega eGo drive now to replace this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good!, 18 Nov. 2011
This was recommended to me from teachers at my University and I am glad I ordered it. It works brilliantly, does it's job, is reliable and because of the way it's built I am less worried about it becoming damaged. Highly recommend this hard drive.

5.0 out of 5 stars great!, 1 Jun. 2012
this drive is great!, it comes with different types of cables that work faster or slower depending on their type. i don't understand much about this, but i needed a drive with firewire and this one had it. and it works great.