4.0 out of 5 stars OK drive, but hot with no power switch.
Having been spending the last few weeks trying to recover from an HD crash (a 4 year old IBM/Hitachi Deskstar, aka, Deathstar), I got this LaCie drive to do regular backups. The item was delivered promptly with the usual Amazon efficiency and the disk has performed well with USB2, and Firewire400 & 800 connections.
The drawbacks to this drive is that it has no heat...
Published on 25 Dec. 2009 by AlphaDog

2.0 out of 5 stars Used to think they were good but not any more
Have bought 3 of these drives and was very happy with there performance until the most recent purchase, the drive died after less than a month taking 3 days hard work with it, complained to lacie and the response from them follows.

Published on 16 Aug. 2009 by techy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Used to think they were good but not any more, 16 Aug. 2009

Thank you for contacting LaCie support. We're sorry to hear that your Rugged has failed as soon as it has. While we do make every reasonable effort to build our drives with the idea that they do not fail prematurely unfortunately they can fail for reasons that we may not always have control of. Since then, as stated, different cables, computers, and presumably with and without the power sharing cable connection still cannot be reestablished we can, should it come to that, raise a return for warranty repairs (we will need the serial number first to determine warranty status). Do note that if we do all data on the drive will be erased and presently we do not have data recovery services. If you are ready to preceed with this let us know straight away and we'll go from there.

Kindest regards.

I actually returned the drive to amazon for a refund which they promptly did but I think it is useful for prospective customers to see what happens when things go wrong.

4.0 out of 5 stars OK drive, but hot with no power switch., 25 Dec. 2009
The drawbacks to this drive is that it has no heat dissipation to speak of (no vents, et c.) and gets quite hot with continual use. This does not bode well for its longevity, of which I am now acutely aware.
Also, unlike the cheap and ugly clear plastic (but vented) OWC 2.5" drive enclosure (I use one to house an old MacBook drive), it has no power switch. So after unmounting the volume, I have to physically disconnect the drive if I want to shut it down and to cool when not in use and save energy. I prefer to reduce wear & tear on my connection ports by reducing such actions. This would seem to be a simple and dumb feature to ad to this product, so get on it, LaCie.
I look forward to the superfast and durable SSD Solid State Drives decreasing in price and increasing the storage so I can do away with all the heat and moving parts of hard disk drives with (as yet) no appreciable technical downside.

1.0 out of 5 stars They're ok .. for the first month!, 24 Oct. 2010
I didn't purchase this item from Amazon however I purchased the exact same model available on offer today. I purchased the hard drive for 2 reasons, 1) I wanted it to be rugged and durable on the go and 2) I wanted a fair amount of space, with fast data transfer speeds (hence I bought the Firewire one instead of just the USB one).

Whilst the product itself was decent value for money, I have to say that I wasn't impressed when I received it. I opened the packaging up and upon opening it I tried to use the USB 2.0 cable in my laptop - which had a USB 2.0 port. Surprisingly it didn't work - so I contacted the seller who told me that sometimes you need to use both of the cables - it depends on the laptop. So now to use the hard drive I have to use 2 USB cables. Great. N.B. I tried this on 2 other laptops, the same problems and a desktop - still I had to 2 use cables.

The FireWire wasn't exactly brilliant either, it didn't give the speeds that I was expecting - but seeing as though my laptop was a 3rd Generation MacBook, maybe that could have been the issue.

Then, about a month along the line of purchasing the product - all of a sudden when I plugged it in, it went into a RAW file state. Essentially, I couldn't access the files and Windows said that the disk had to be formatted before I could use it (I had to format it when I received it too...). I complained again to the seller who organised a LaCie support request to fix it. This took about 2-3 weeks for them to fix the hard drive (they didn't get the data back - ironic that a backup hard drive failed...).

When I received the hard drive back (they repaired it), I had to format it again (using 2 USB cables) and now I'm stuck with a hard drive that requires 2 out of the 3 USB ports that are available on my new computer to function!

Overall, I don't recommend this hard drive because of the issues I have faced with it. To be honest also, it doesn't feel that rugged - when press it it is almost as if a knock could break it open. If you're looking for a rugged, portable hard drive that has a decent price tag (without the FireWire) - then I recommend the Freecom 30971 Toughdrive 2.5" 500gb Usb-2 to you instead - which is cheaper than this product too!

1.0 out of 5 stars Great - until it goes wrong., 18 Feb. 2011
I have owned several external drives over the years and this was the first 'rugged' drive that I have bought and the only one to go wrong within the warranty period. It has been treated very well - in fact it hasn't moved from my desk - so I can't comment on how rugged it is other than to say it has failed.
So not a good start but these things happen - I always gauge a Company's products by what they do after a fault and Lacie have been hopeless at best, in reality deliberately obstructive and unhelpful over the last five weeks with still no resolution. I have been given the run around since the 7th of January with ridiculous, repetitive, time wasting questions and tests to perform on my dead drive. Weeks go by without any answer to my request for a RMA and then, when they finally appear again from their bunker they start the whole mind blowing nonsense all over again.
It is probably no co-incidence that the drive is Easyjet Orange - they share the same appalling customer service.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not rugged, Lacie renege on warranty, 7 July 2011
N. R. Postlethwaite (Rugby, UK) - See all my reviews
Do not touch these with a bargepole.

Lacie reneged on the 3 year warranty, do to a small depression on the aluminium protective casing,. The unit had a faulty hard disk and would not re-format.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, a great little hard drive, 19 July 2009
Paul Hill (UK) - See all my reviews
I spent some time researching external hard drives. I needed an external hard drive to use with Time Machine on my Mac after reading a few negative reviews on the Apple Time Capsule. Most drives I looked at had many negative reviews but this one seemed to be highly rated by most reviewers. So far so good. I have two Imacs and plug my LaCie drive in to each computer every few days to do a new Time Machine back up. I also use the drive for transferring data. Just plug in the drive and it very quietly does it's job. Transfer rates seem to be quite fast and I have had no problems with it so far. I also have a WD Mybook which is my second unit. The first died on me and Western Digital were very good at replacing my drive. My WD drive is huge compared to the LaCie drive and seems a lot more delicate. I would highly recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars great external disk LaCieRugged, 320, 500 GB, 4 Nov. 2010
I own 4 or 5 of these drives, and several older LaCie Pocket drives dating from 2001-2002 (ide/ATA drives,20 or 60 GB; 128 GB max). All have been extremely reliable and in some of them I have changed the internal drives to higher capacity disks (voiding warranty on the newer ones, but I figure that if they work for 6-12 months without trouble, then they are probably ok.... I hope); all continue to work perfectly and the triple connection (USB, FE400, FW800; USB and FW400 in older models) is very useful when dealing with a wide variety of Macs of variable vintage.

Some I carry back and forth from home to work every day and they have never let me down.

A big advantage is them being bus-powered (FW or USB, but I almost always use FW) - no need to carry around extra power supply.

Also, despite the theoretically faster speeds of USB 2.0, the FW400 is always faster, and FW800 beats both, by a lot

I would not hesitate to buy other ones as needs dictate. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Drive, 7 Jun. 2009
This review is from: LaCie Rugged 500GB All-Terrain Hard Disk, FW800 FW400 USB2.0 (Personal Computers)
This is my second drive that I have bought and I am really impressed in the build quality and the size. To not need a power cable is a real plus and Firewire 800 is excellent. Also found 500gb to be more than sufficient.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable Drive, 17 Jan. 2012
S. Paciej (London, UK.) - See all my reviews
I would never recommend buying a Lacie Rugged. I have one which works fine for a bit, then seemingly at random it will fail to mount and the drive's registry needs to be rebuilt with software which costs about the same as the drive does (Allsoft's fantastic 'Disk Warrior').

I do video and graphic design on macs and brought it because another more flimsy portable drive failed. I thought 'Rugged' would mean it would be super reliable and I liked the idea of firewire 800 connectivity as it is fast enough to work off if you don't want to transfer your project on and off the drive every time.

For me, the number 1 thing I look for in a portable drive is reliability, this fails that and I cannot have a drive that fails with a looming deadline! Its not to be trusted.

Lacie drives are well known for failing, I know a lot of people who avoid them like the plague, I'd recommend you do the same and look elsewhere for a tough portable drive.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rugged or not rugged? That is the question., 31 Oct. 2011
Having purchased my LaCie Rugged drive from Amazon some time ago, I was impressed by its sturdy design. It had three interfaces which I thought would be useful in different situations.

Like many here I suffered a few minor niggling points about these drives:

1. USB 2.0 transfers at 480 megabits/sec and Firewire 400 at 400 megabits/sec. You'll probably not notice much difference at all in speed unless you use Firewire 800 (800 megabits/sec), but most computers with Firewire ship with FW400 ports.

2. The drive does get extremely hot after some constant use. It does cool if you don't use the drive, even when plugged in, but will warm up quite a bit when you're reading large files from it again. In other words, best not stream video files from it.

3. Despite the name, the device is quite fragile given its magnetic disk technology. Obviously if it were purchased for really rugged use you're better off with a solid state drive instead, but this LaCie does prefer not to move when used. Mine developed faults to the extent I'm now looking to copy off all data to a new drive before files are damaged, with data recovery ready in case some do. Try not to put too much faith in this product.

I do have to point out that I did purchase mine a couple of years ago and from a different seller, but bearing in mind it does say "Rugged", I expected it to last longer than most other drives. The outer rubbery bits (which come off easily) is purely outer design and LaCie have placed a standard hard drive in the middle.

If you really want to go ahead with this drive, get the USB-only version unless you really need Firewire. It's not too different and saves you a lot of money.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›