Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

on 18 May 2008
I was fortunate enough to see Gavin Rossdale air some of his new material at the Hard Rock Cafe in Orlando (03 Apr 08) whilst on holiday. Gavin has arguably the best voice in rock (since the dearly departed Kurt Cobain - god rest his soul!)
He has lost none of his energy although his new material is a little more commercial.
However, don't let this distract you from making the purchase because the BUSH/INSTITUTE sound is in there.
Finally if you can get the chance to see this guy live then DO NOT pass up the opportunity.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
'Wanderlust' is a great album. Some beautiful songs. My favourite being 'The Trouble I'm In'. Can see why this shifted 1.7 million copies.

It has been intruiging to follow Gavin Rossdale's journey/trajectory - album by album. Institute's 'Distort Yourself' totally extended the template, and deserved far more attention than it got. And the latest Bush record, 'The Sea Of Memories', takes that even further. A songwriter and sonic experimenter who gets better and better every time.

Rossdale's oblique and minimalist lyrics have always fascinated me. When combined with the mutated rock motifs/riffs and off-beat time signatures he likes to use they really seem to belong to an alternative reality. I can listen to 'The Science Of Things' and find new angles every time.

I can't find fault with the lyrics here. Yeah, he borrows phrases and pays homage to rock's great treasures - but these are part of the vision. Rossdale's songs remain unique. Coupling 'fire' with 'desire' is probably a cliche too far, but I think/hope he does this with some deliberate irony! And it is interesting to see many of the preoccupations from 'Distort Yourself' further explored here. Personal identity; alienation; social collapse; the need to escape.

What I liked most about 'Wanderlust' was the unchaining and revealing of melody. Rossdale very often restrains, torments, suppresses and hints at full-on melody. Which has been a large part of Bush's charm. Because great tunes are always there. 'Headful Of Ghosts' from 'Golden State' is perhaps the closest to 'letting go' of emotions previously. Though that is a personal opinion.

Here melody and emotion/feeling have been given more of a chance to shine. Like an ecstatic release in places. And it is a wonderful thing to hear. I was blown away when I first listened to the album. 'Wanderlust' proves just what a great musician and song-writer Gavin Rossdale is.
on 21 June 2008
what an album...i saw him Live in Camden, London. Man, he is good, i saw him from spitting distance, he sang his heart out. I can see that he was missing that moment where he and the fans could sing along together. Eventhough, its not your typical BUSH songs, but it is still great.

As we all know his main strengths are his VOICE and guitar riffs. its got all. so dont make second thoughts on buyying this album. I would highly recommend it. Songs to listen to: Love remains the same, Frontline, This is the skin, Cant stop the world, basically all...piss
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 July 2009
With the huge success of Bush it was always going to be difficult to satisfy die hard fans and show some form of musical progression.
It is true that this album does not offer the pure rawness of Bush in terms of both vocals and music. This said Gavin Hayward has produced an album that shows him to be a maturing songwriter with an ability to write great songs.
The album itself is more polished than Bush albums but do not let that put you off, there is plenty here for both old fans and other music lovers that have never heard of Bush. The album has plenty of quality tracks - 'Forever may you run'(why wasn't this the first single), 'Love Remains the same' and 'The trouble I'm in' are up in the category of 'classics', they are that good. They retain the trademark downbeat emty verse with big punching chorus.
The album in general has a large, powerful but laid back (kind of easy rock) sound. The kind of music that you would want to be listening to on the open road.
This is a CD that Hayward has clearly thought long and hard about and deserves recognition for his efforts.
Bush fans (myself included) need to understand that time moves on and Hayward had to move forward. In terms of music and song quality this album shows a huge leap forward and keeps up with the times. There is plenty here for all. My advice is buy this album - you will love it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 October 2009
I approached this album as open-mindedly as possible. Despite being a fan of Bush I was prepared to not judge this by any preconceptions. However I have to say that regardless of what he's done before this album simply is far from being up to scratch. Most of the album is pretty decent in the musicial department except for one thing... the vocals. Despite catchy riffs and a decent (if somewhat commercial) rock/metal ethic to the sound it all falls apart at the vocals.

The singing isn't out of tune and Gavin Rossdale has always had a goos inging voice, however it's the lyrics themselves that really let the side down and make for very tough listening. Pretty much every line feels extremely hackneyed, cliched and lightweight. It totally ruins the listening experience and is completely off-putting for the whole album.

To get the most out of this album I could only recommend it to people who don't understand English. The muscianship is fine but the lyrics are cringe-worthy on virtually every track.
on 8 September 2008
I read a review for this CD in Classic Rock magazine. It gave it 4/10 & a below par rating. As a result I decided to stay clear of it, thinking it would be another collection of naff songs by a front man of a great band (anybody that owns Michael Hutchence's 1999 effort will know what I mean). I then heard the single 'Love remains the same' and thought it was quite good. I then had a listen to a few samples of other tracks on the album. This is a very good album. All the tracks are well written, produced, played and sung. It isn't Bush although you can hear a hint of that sound in some tracks (the skin I'm in). I really like it and would recommend it to Bush fans or anyone into AOR. Ok you could argue it's a bit commercial but so what. Well done Gavin.
on 9 February 2009
Brilliant , Gavin excels again. Songs are varied but well worth buying as they grow on you big time. Can't wait for him to tour the UK - I will be the first in line for the tickets. Excellent!
on 15 October 2015
Brilliant solo CD from Bush front man. Songs are beautifully written and the fact Shirley Manson and Katy Perry do back up vocals is impressive.

Great cd
on 8 May 2008
This is only a rating on the 3 tracks IF YOU'RE NOT WITH US YOU ARE AGAINST US, THIS IS HAPPINESS and FRONTLINE that I heard samples of from the email I was sent. Actually really impressed after such a long time, just being Gwen S's wife as far as the music fans know. Its quite a comeback. Quite dark sounding, but some stadium filling size songs. Brilliant!!! First things I thought were Nine Inch Nails, Martin Grech, but a bit more commercial sounding. So Harder than current Feeder, but not as far as Grech or NIN. Good Effort Gavin, Welcome back!