4.0 out of 5 stars ballad or rock & roll !!
Yes, we know the ones which made him famous(summertime blues,come on everybody and cut across shorty)but other tunes which he'd played. From this CD a few more ballads, a few more up tempo, bringing the best out of a talented artist.
Original tunes, original talent, what more could you ask for!!
Published 6 months ago by pottheball dammit

3.0 out of 5 stars Eddie the baladeer
Published on 25 Jan 2009 by Matt182

4.0 out of 5 stars ballad or rock & roll !!, 20 Sep 2013
This review is from: Singin' To My Baby (MP3 Download)
Original tunes, original talent, what more could you ask for!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Eddie the baladeer, 25 Jan 2009
This review is from: Singin' to My Baby - Eddie Cochran (Audio CD)
One thing that should be taken into account is that this is not a remastered CD where the recordings are all digitally improved, it is the original recordings transferred to a CD. This results in a very echoey sound and it makes the quality of the songs subordinate to the remastered versions. I was quite surprised by the poor sound quality at first listen but you get used to it. This was Eddie's only official album where he was portrayed by the record label as a ballad singer. Eddie does well at ballads on songs like Sittin' in the balcony, Drive in show and Tell me why and his song suit's the mood and style really well. Eddie was no Elvis Presley when it came to ballad singing but he does have a nicely suited voice. There are also some rock n roll tunes thrown in here for good measure like Am I blue, Mean when I'm mad and Twenty flight rock. In my opinion, Eddie is more well suited to upbeat rock n roll songs like Summertime blues, C'mon everybody or Cut across shorty. Those are songs he is more well known for and that's because they show him at his best. They are songs that really do him justice, whereas I don't think his true talent is conveyed on this album.

There are different versions of the songs than you probably are expecting or have heard before, to make them sound more ballad oriented or softer. Completely sweet is only half as good as the proper version and has backing vocals and a strange beat. I'm alone because I love you is very much a ballad song with a tale of blues. Lovin' time is more upbeat and happy and has the same backing vocals as previously. There's no guitar work and the main instrument sounds actually like a banjo. Proud of you has a similar intro to Undying love and is a sweet sounding song with romantic lyrics. With the lyrics `We go home together after school each night`, it expresses a teenager singing to his girl rather than something more mature. It's very much a representation of young love and that's a nice thing to seize from Eddie.
Am I blue is an Eddie classic and it wavers away from the softer, loving sound of this album. Twenty flight rock sounds a bit different to the original and has backing vocals (if you could call the `bop-bops' that!). I guess it tries to fit in with the sound of the rest of the album. The label clearly didn't want any of Eddie's rock sound and opted for a smoother pop sound, possibly to attract different fans. Drive in show sounds a little like Lovin' time but is one of the best on the album. The tongue in cheek Mean when I'm mad is another of the best here and finally shows off some of Eddie's guitar talent. Stocking's `n' shoes is a nice upbeat number with some sweet lyrics. It shows a more rock n roll Eddie rather than a ballad singer, which I prefer, alongside most of his fans I'm sure. Tell me why is another of the best and is a powerful ballad-type love song. Eddie's vocals are so deep, emotional and expressive. It captivates me every time I listen to it because that's how effective this song is and it really goes to the heart. Have I told you lately that I love you is a well known Eddie song but was not included on the 'Best of' that I purchased. I can understand why it was dismissed in favour of other songs. It is very much a ballad and the guitar work is very similar to Dark lonely street. It's a classic love song and is easy to like. He does justice to the song and it's a peaceful and honest ballad. Cradle baby is much more upbeat and has a rock n roll ambience. It features a great bit of solo work from Eddie on guitar. It's another song about young love and reminds you that this is a youthful album, just in case you get carried away by any mature lyrics. One kiss, the closer, is a very similar arrangement to Siitin' in the balcony. It is one of 2 identical sounding copies together with the better One minute to one which was declined in favour of releasing Summertime blues. It's not as good as Sittin' in the balcony but it's another nice ballad.

The reason I bought this album is because it has quite a few songs that are not included on other compilations and that's probably because they are dismissed in favour of other songs.
This album is well worth getting for any Eddie Cochran fan who does not own all of the songs that are on this album. If you like Eddie as a ballad singer then you should definitely purchase this, but even if you prefer his rock n roll songs this album does have its charming moments.

ARRAY(0x9ee58cfc)

Singin' to My Baby - Eddie Cochran
Singin' to My Baby - Eddie Cochran by Eddie Cochran (Audio CD - 2008)