5.0 out of 5 stars Skin Deep - The Best Of Today's Blues!
Published on 21 Oct. 2009 by AJ

SONY have just brought out this double CD pack. I bought it for less than the price of this individual CD. It pays to shop around.

product link - Bring 'Em In/Skin Deep
Published 22 months ago by Majestic Elephant

5.0 out of 5 stars Skin Deep - The Best Of Today's Blues!, 21 Oct. 2009
AJ (Berkshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skin Deep (Audio CD)
Over the last few years I have become more and more infatuated by the blues. I have enjoyed (and bought the complete) Stevie Ray Vaughan/Eric Clapton/BB King/Joe Bonamassa/Walter Trout/Jonny Lang/Kenny Wayne Shepherd and many others. But...This offering from Buddy Guy is outstanding, even within that company. A truly stand out collection of blues tunes performed the way only Buddy can! Not a weak track here. Standouts...? Maybe the third track 'Lyin' Like A Dog' a slow searing blues, along with the opener 'Best Damn Fool', title track 'Skin Deep' and the blues homage 'Who's Gonna Fill Those Shoes'. Apparently Buddy Guy is 73 years old....Well, Buddy, if you are out there and you can, tell us what your secret is! Probably the very best CD I have heard this year...and I have bought boatloads...

If you love the blues, do not let this album pass you by!

4.0 out of 5 stars Skin Deep: Buddy Guy - Whose going to fill those shoes?, 17 Aug. 2012
Victor (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Skin Deep (Audio CD)
This is another classic blues album from genre master Buddy Guy. OK, so the production is a little slick, and there are (as is usual for Guy albums) a lot of guest stars, but when Buddy gets going her really is the King of the Blues. His raw, powerful guitar sound rocks and shreds your speakers, as that voice, seemingly unwearied by its years, tells you of his pain. It's a great album of uptempo blues rock, long may he continue to produce such gems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Damn Fool? He ain't no fool!, 20 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Skin Deep (Audio CD)
Buddy Guy is someone we should all be greatful for. There are very few musicians in their seventies who can play with such energy and fury. Buddy plays his Strat like a machine gun, the notes tear through you to leave you breathless. The songs are all great tracks, many of which have cameo's from some of the modern Blues greats. Eric Clapton, Derek Trucks, Robert Randolph, (and future blues sensation) 9 year old Quinn Sullivan.

My only criticism is for the mix, but it's not just this record. It seems to be that most modern Blues and Rock recordings are over compressed, with too much separation between instruments, leaving what sound to me like large gaps in the sound. Maybe everyone should go back to good old reel to reel recording, this digital Apple Mac stuff sounds a bit too clinical. That's just my oppinion, the music and musicianship on this album is still brilliant.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great album, but look at the new Double Pack with Bring Em In, 16 April 2013

product link - Bring 'Em In/Skin Deep

5.0 out of 5 stars If your a of fan Buddy Guy, 9 April 2013
jk "jon" (Poulton-le-fylde) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skin Deep (Audio CD)
Well just a few words Buddy Guy is in my estimation the out right finest guitarist on this planet currently , this Album reflects his roots of the Blues from track to track finesse are found in pure blues the "Buddy Guy" way.

For anyone who loves the Blues this is a must and a perfect starter to understanding a huge talent and in my opinion the ultimate King of the Blues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime Buddy Blues, 1 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Skin Deep (Audio CD)
Buddy keeps on getting better, delivering spine tingling guitar solos and raw,powerful vocals. A top blues musician who plays the blues with real soul and emotion. The track skin deep is both soulful and heartwrenching. This album is a must for anyone who has been touched by the sound of an electric guitar.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can you smell the funk!, 15 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Skin Deep (Audio CD)
Buddy Guy Skin deep is an absolutly fantastic album that includes contributions from well known recording blues artists Eric Clapton, Derek Trucks, Susan Tedeschi, and Robert Randolph.
I've listened to this albumover and over again and I still enjoy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Latter day Buddy, 9 Dec. 2013
John W. Martin (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skin Deep (Audio CD)
I'm not sure about my personal choice of an album by someone who at one time was at the top of the genre. There's nothing wrong with it at all but I prefer his earlier work. Please don't put off purchasing this CD though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 1 Jan. 2015
very good

2.0 out of 5 stars not for me, 24 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Skin Deep (Audio CD)
I was not familiar with the music of Buddy when I bought the album. I'm into blues and I do like the records of the guests that appear here, so, after reading all these 'hooray' reviews, I thought 'it would do no harm' to buy the CD. The first time I listened to the record I tried to really like it, but in every song Buddy lost me... Well, I learned that some records ask for more 'rounds', so I did not panic and I listened, and listened,... But every time the outcome was the same: it starts good, but then, like some heavy metal songs do, end very loud, boring, dreary and with a very shrill guitar. My biggest problem is that these 'endings' take very long and nullify all the credit that Buddy builds up with the, at most times, passable beginning of the songs. Considering I am a Popa Chubby fan this will say it all....

In my opinion you have to be a die-hard fan to like this CD or have a taste for songs that 'start nowhere', 'linger nowhere' and 'go nowhere'.
The soundquality in itself is good.

Skin Deep
Skin Deep by Buddy Guy (Audio CD - 2008)