‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Relief at last, 16 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Evoluent VerticalMouse 3 Wireless - Right Handed (Accessory)
I was reluctant to buy this at this price without actually trying it. in fact, I was not so sure even after using it initially. But now that I have got used to it, it is very good indeed.

In terms of appearance it is still a mouse and not a rat. It's still pretty for an ergo mouse. Sizewise it's about the same length as a mac Mighty mouse but sightly wider and obviously taller - 3 inches high.

In terms of usability, the main buttons are set quite widely apart, so it does take a bit getting used to, especially if you use a lot of CAD and graphic software like I do, but it is certainly worth persevering. The thumb button is set a little too high to my liking, so I hardly use it. Also, it may be more more difficult to use for someone with small hands.

For pain relief, it is much better than any other mouse or tablet I have used. For complete relief however, it would be better to move the whole arm rather than the wrist to control the mouse, but you tend to loose your grip if you tried that with this mouse. Instead, you have to pivot your hand, with wrist on the table - which is not ideal. I guess that is what the 'zero tension mouse' aims to do. But the ZTM, is a big ugly rat rather than a mouse, and has not lost its tail yet. I like this because it is wireless. But if you have serious problems with your wrist and not as vain as I am, perhaps you should also try the ZTM. All in all I am quite happy with this and highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good attempt, 14 Oct. 2009
I could feel the benefit in my arm muscles immediately, but it's one of those things that's going to take a while to get used to because it's so alien to other mice that I've used all my adult life. That's a big change, but it's worth the perseverance.

I'm very pleased I paid the extra for the wireless version because I can see that the unfamiliarity with the concept and position is enough to cope with initially, without the added hassle of catching a wire all the time on my messy desk, which is something I've not had to bother with for quite a while now. Probably a cable might have been the final straw to make me give up on this, but as it is, it's made a huge difference to my shoulder and elbow pain on my right side when I lie in bed, and with this in mind, the money becomes irrelevant.

I also like the off switch on the underside, which the instructions don't tell you about, but conserves the batteries when I go home at the end of the day, which my previous Logitech mouse didn't have.

The only gripe is the buggy software which was a problem to install on XP Pro without flagging up the 'New Hardware Found' balloon constantly. It wanted to install the software over and over again, so I downloaded the latest driver and that seems almost okay after stopping the first attempt at it overwriting itself. I see that there are freeware drivers available from third-party sources that might be better, and these will be needed anyway to run on a 64 bit OS, which is a bit of a surprise. At least they are available, and linked from the Evoluent web site, which sort of patches the problem. But I still can't assign the thumb button or middle button to what I want, so there is still a glitch somewhere in there, but fortunately the buttons are doing what I want them to, even if they are not the buttons I would choose. I may still try a third-party driver to attempt to fix this. Evoluent need to spend more effort on the software, because of these bugs.

The mouse itself is great build quality and well finished, light and attractive, and most importantly doesn't stand out on the desk like some orthopaedic appliance like the ZTM. It's possible that the ZTM may be better for RSI sufferers like myself, but I just couldn't sit in my chair holding onto that thing looking like Davros. This is good enough and has made such a huge difference that I'm more than happy... so much so that the price isn't in the equation.

Apart from the bugs in the software, I'll recommend it.

Addendum: The software has been sorted out and everything is now fine - it appeared to be a glitch that prevented the driver loading properly, so it's now functioning correctly with the supplied software - no need for the third-party driver after all.
Most importantly, the pain in my shoulder that I have suffered when I lie in bed has now almost completely gone after it getting steadily worse over the last 9 months to the point of not being able to lie on my right side. Now, I can, with no pain.
I find it hard to believe that after three weeks it could have untwisted the muscles in my arm to this degree, but it has, and I am incredibly impressed, and grateful, but considering that I'm doing CAD drafting 9 hours a day, every day, I guess it's significant usage to matter, and illustrates the damage the conventional mouse was doing to me.
No doubt it will continue to improve and my arm will recover from its general weakness.

Another update: July 2011
This Evoluent Vertical Mouse 3 is now so used that the grippy soft plastic coating is wearing off in patches - not surprising two years down the line in daily constant use. In that time the battery life is such that I maybe change batteries every 3 months, if that. I'm good at turning it off when I'm going home though.
In this time my wrist and shoulder pain has gone completely, to the point of being forgotten. I did wonder at the outset if I was to have this pain for the rest of my life, but I can honestly say that I'm cured of this now and there is no doubt that this is down to this mouse. I did a week of work at home on my laptop and pulled into service my old Logitech 3 button conventional mouse as it was handy, but found pretty soon that my wrist and shoulder were beginning to hurt and I could feel the damage happening so quickly that I had to go to the office to get my Evoluent mouse. It's as good as the day it was bought and still functions perfectly. There really is no going back, and as far as I'm concerned it has saved me huge amounts of serious pain and injury. I initially baulked at the price, but now I realise that this costs nothing in comparison with what I was going through. And I am sure I'm not alone.
Currently running on Windows 7 with no drama at the upgrade from XP.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality product, 2 Mar. 2009
D. Ashby "IT Professional" (Belgium) - See all my reviews
I recently broke my shoulder and since then have had limited mobility of my right arm. After returning to work I was having a lot of pain in the left and right side of my wrist by the end of the day.

I have been using the new mouse for 4 weeks. Initially it took a day to get used to the new hand orientation. Since using the new mouse the pain in my wrist has gone away.

The driver software has some nice features which also make using the mouse less of a strain. Over the 4 weeks I have increased the movement speed to max to reduce the amount of hand movement required. This was only possible due to a pointer speed control "enhanced pointer precision for small movements" being set. Essentially when you are trying to position on a check box or small button with small movements the mouse movement is reduced. This feature works better than the equivalent standard MS driver setting.

5.0 out of 5 stars takes a bit to get used to - but well worth it!!, 7 Sept. 2008
Colin "(52)" (UK and Azerbaijan) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I have started suffering with pain in my wrist in recent years. I swithced to a Kensington Track-ball for a while, and that helped a bit. But this mouse is the best. Holding my hand in a "handshake" attitude is so comfortable.
I have had to concentrate initially to move the mouse using my entire forearm and not the wrist, but once you are used to it - it is so comfortable. I have tried various "ergonomic" mice but this one suits me the best. AND the usb/bluetooth receiver is tiny and takes no desk-space.

Oh, one additional plus-point: nobody in my office wants to steal my mouse, as they find it awkward to use when you first try it :)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best ergonomic mouse on the market, 13 Feb. 2011
I've been using one of these for a few years, having tried several alternatives beforehand. I also had the earlier, wired version, which I found equally good. This is easily the best ergonomic mouse I've tried. It relieved my symptoms of RSI within a couple of days and they have never returned. It's really comfortable to use and the three mouse buttons are programmable which is a great feature.

I do have a few minor criticisms, however. Considering it's such a large device, the ommission of built-in storage for the USB receiver feels like an oversight. I travel a lot with it and am always worried I'm going to lose or damage the receiver. And also there is no warning when the batteries are going to run out so you can be left with a dead device.

If you suffer from RSI then I can't recommend it highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product!, 15 July 2010
P. Bradley (UK) - See all my reviews
This mouse is great! I have suffered from carpal tunnel syndrome (mouse use induced) for ages and having to use a standard mouse for hours on end was causing me great discomfort to the point where are couple of days ago I had to stop my work altogether. Being self employed this is not good, so we did our research and found good reviews about this mouse. I ordered it from Amazon at about 12.30pm, it arrived the next morning. Many people have talked about adjustment periods of getting used to the mouse on here but I actually found it to be not alien at all and most of all very comfortable. I could feel instantly that my wrist pains were subsiding and a couple of days on the pains are almost gone. Very very pleased!

4.0 out of 5 stars Check your desk surface, 18 Nov. 2009
Note this mouse unlike other optical mice is fussy about the desk surface.

I was about to send it back because it was unresponsive, however testing it on paper revealed that it was due to the desk surface.

So if yours is problamatic i.e. cursor drifts and does not move properly then check with a blank paper.

I am going to try and get used to it and see if it helps my wrist pain. Hopefully it will.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, I recommend, 15 Dec. 2009
Mrs. A. M. Roberts "Shelly" (Bracknell, UK) - See all my reviews
Definitely easy to use, I don't usually bother with instructions and it certainly wasn't needed for this. Only negative comments are: why doesn't the designer put a slot in the main body to store the usb? Its easy to lose this if you travel around like I do. And secondly, it's quite a chunky item, but that is par for the course as it's turned on its side. Overall, I like it at lot and so does my RSI. :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars A bit expensive but what price for your health?, 10 Sept. 2010
Took a while to get used to this mouse but now I find it difficult to use a standard mouse. I was begining to suffer from elbow and wrist pain probably due to RSI. This mouse places you hand, wrist and arm in their naturally intended position and makes long mouse/computer work much more comfortable. My pain has gone now and I would never go back to a 'normal' mouse again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 28 Oct. 2010
V. Tedeschi (Brighton UK) - See all my reviews
I work on the computer. I developed such a bad repetitive strain injury that I was crying in pain and one day I even went to the hospital because my hand got all swollen and blue. I tried all kind of mouse but nothing worked and I was so miserable and depressed because of my pain. Then I decided to try this. It is a little bit expensive but when you are sick you don't really care about money. Besides, Amazon always refund you if you are not satisfied. Well... in a couple of days my pain disappeared. I have been using this mouse for about a month now and the pain has never come back. This in an excellent product.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›