5.0 out of 5 stars Quality product
I have had this grinder for about three weeks. It is solidly built and has a quality feel to it.

It takes me about a minute to grind a double espresso so that is just about on its finest, and therefore slowest, grind. If you are wanting a coarser grind for a cafetiere it will be quicker. The grind is consistently excellent. I am very pleased with the price,...
Published on 21 Jun 2011 by TerryDox

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the porlex alu grinder
one main reason - the plastic body creates some static for the coffee grinds not a major problem

Where it fails majorly on the Porlex - is that the screw base gets contaminated by grinds as you tip out the coffee once ground.
So your constantly blowing on the thread of the bottom to clear it when re-attaching the bottom to the top.

The Porlex...
Published 14 months ago by M. Ahmed

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the porlex alu grinder, 12 May 2013
M. Ahmed "mooriginal" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hario Coffee Mill Ceramic Slim (Kitchen & Home)

The Porlex being aluminium and no screw thread does not have this problem.

Feels mucho plasticky and im happy to have it as a 2nd grinder for time being...

Has the exact same burr grinder as the porlex so thats not an issue.

Nice to see the beans grinding and then how much you have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little grinder, 20 April 2014
This review is from: Hario Coffee Mill Ceramic Slim (Kitchen & Home)
I deliberately delayed this review for a few weeks so I could give a view from some experience. I enjoy good coffee, but top quality equipment like grinders and espresso machines are expensive pieces of kit. I had been using a cheap burr grinder but the grind was coarse and uneven. The Hario was a revelation. The quality of the build seems good, the plastic parts seem good quality and will hopefully last a while, and when they eventually do wear out replacing the mill won't break the bank.

It's easy to adjust the grind and I can get a nice even moderately fine grind for my Aeropress if I tighten the adjuster nut until it's locked, and dial back 3 or 4 clicks - that reliably gives me the grind I want. The finer you grind, the longer it takes, it takes me about as long to grind enough beans for one cup of coffee as it does for the kettle to boil. I've been meaning to have a go to see if it will grind fine enough for a Turkish coffee, but haven't got round to it yet. The handle is comfortable in the hand and easy to turn, and it's much quieter than an electric grinder, I can get up early and brew up and not wake anybody.

The mill is easy to strip down and reassemble for cleaning, you just need to take note of the order of the parts, although it's mostly pretty obvious.

There's something rather satisfying about grinding coffee beans by hand as well - part of the joy of brewing coffee for me is the ritual, and this is a little bit more ritual. The Hario is not the answer if you're brewing up a big batch of coffee for guests or a dinner party, but for making a coffee for one or two it's just the job. I'm very pleased with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little coffee grinder, 10 April 2014
This review is from: Hario Coffee Mill Ceramic Slim (Kitchen & Home)
Didn't know what I was looking for when I first started looking at coffee grinders, found these reviews very helpful. After a short while narrowed the choice down to this one and it's slightly bigger brother 'Hario Medium Glass Hand Coffee Grinder'
So what is the difference? well this one has a cap on the chamber which receives the coffee beans, so the beans stay in there (the other one doesn't have a cover but not having tried it not sure whether they jump out or not when you get near to the bottom, it's just what I read on other reviews).
This one only grinds enough coffee beans for 2 cups at a time, that's all I wanted, nothing larger, it has marks on the side of the bottom clear chamber for 1 cup and 2 cups.
The ceramic burrs I read are the best to grind the coffee beans, these are normally found in bigger more expensive electric machines. Both these have the ceramic burrs, the good thing about this one is that it is so easy to change the setting from a fine grind to a coarse grind, the other one I read needed a little taking apart to alter then put back together.
You can but this grinder for just over 10, the only thing that hikes the cost up is the dear postage as these seem to get shipped over from Japan, so overall 17'ish but still a good price for this grinder, I am well please as it is well made and is a sturdy piece of kit.
One thing, other reviews say that this is good because it is made in Japan, when you look at the packaging/literature it actually says made in China, but this does not mean that it is not a good griner, Go for it and buy one and you will not regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars The ceramics are great, the rest of it is all a bit disappointing., 3 April 2014
David Charge (Cambridge, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hario Coffee Mill Ceramic Slim (Kitchen & Home)
I highly recommend the move from pre-ground coffee to doing it yourself with beans; the coffee is much better and grinding your own is kind of fun. You'll need a grinder and you won't go far wrong with this one but do note the exterior is not classy, it's plastic and looks it. The money you're spending is going on the ceramic burrer - and not much else. The ground coffee you create falls into a relatively narrow chamber and has a tendency to stick to the sides, this is annoying. At it's tightest setting where the grinder is almost grinding itself the coffee comes out like talcum powder, so fine it can stall the pump on my coffee machine but I have never found a perfect setting that I can stick to when it comes to this. The reason for this is that, in use, the screw you use to set the grind consistency slowly unwinds so after a few days you wonder why the coffee is getting weaker, then you see it's coarser and then you realise the screw is at least half a turn too loose. This is partially fixed with a cable tie, but even then it's still a problem. I like the grinder but I wouldn't rush to replace it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for finer grinds, 13 Dec 2013
This review is from: Hario Coffee Mill Ceramic Slim (Kitchen & Home)
For the price this coffee mill is quite OK. It works poorly for coarser grinds as it will produce undesirable fines that will be over extracted and ruin your brew. You might consider sieving it if that is your use case and count with a 20-30% loss of the used amount.

Otherwise, it is easy to use, but I expect considerable manual work if you want to grind for more than one cup. Grinding coffee for one cup takes me about a minute or two if I just got out of bed.

Together with an aeropress it makes the most powerful combo for great home brewing under 60 eur.

5.0 out of 5 stars A joy to use, 26 Nov 2013
This review is from: Hario Coffee Mill Ceramic Slim (Kitchen & Home)
A joy to use: easy to adjust the grinding level, easy to grind (virtually no static), shape makes it easy to empty neatly, and it takes up little storage space.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hario Coffee Mill Ceramic Slim, 17 Nov 2013
This review is from: Hario Coffee Mill Ceramic Slim (Kitchen & Home)
We bought this to replace an electric blade coffee mill which we have had for yonks and has seen better days. We had heard that burr grinders are better for your coffee because they crush up the beans rather than pulverise them which also generates heat which can reduce the taste of the coffee.

This neat little hand grinder arrived very quickly. You can order it all the way from Japan but although the grinder is cheaper by the time you have added on the postage you might as well buy it in this country and get it faster. We did hesitate to order because it is much cheaper from Japan and I feel that if it was imported in bulk to sell on through Amazon it needn't be quite so expensive.

It is very nicely designed. I make two mugs of coffee three times a day and it has coped with this so far. We have had it for about two weeks now.

I use two scoops of coffee beans for two mugs. This takes around 150 turns of the mill to grind. The ground coffee is used in a cafetiere so I don't need to grind it very fine. One day I shall try grinding finer and using the percolator but I prefer cafetiere coffee. I will report back on this.

The markers on the collection aren't very accurate. My two scoops of coffee beans when ground come up to about 1 and a half on the markers. I would say if you were grinding coffee beans for more than two people several times a day you would get fed up with it. I fancy that my upper arms are becoming firmer with the thrice daily grind.

One nice thing is that the coffee doesn't stick to the interior of the collection pot.

I would improve the design by making the handle knob more rounded. It is an open ended thing which could be more comfortable in your hand. It isn't too bad though.

I think the coffee does taste nicer than that ground in the electric blade grinder.

I will report back if the little machine develops any faults but so far it is doing great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Glad I bought it!, 2 Nov 2013
This review is from: Hario Coffee Mill Ceramic Slim (Kitchen & Home)
Good points: Easy to use although all instructions are in foreign language. Burr grind makes for even grind which produces excellent coffee.

Cons: Some poeple with arthritis could find it hard to use as you have to grip the gadget quite tightly as it is quite light.

5.0 out of 5 stars Have had it for a month, now I'm spoiled, 14 Oct 2013
This review is from: Hario Coffee Mill Ceramic Slim (Kitchen & Home)
After having it for a month, I'm wondering how I could ever drink pre-ground coffee. Freshly ground is so much better.

This little mill is very well made, it's easy to clean, easy to use, and getting the grinds from the grinder to the coffee maker is quick, easy, and clean.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh coffee but a bit tired, 3 Oct 2013
This review is from: Hario Coffee Mill Ceramic Slim (Kitchen & Home)
You obtain a fresh coffee plenty of flavour and aroma, but it's a bit tired to grind coffee beans for 2-3 cups of coffee.

I mean first you have to find the correct position to obtain the ground yo need. When you disassemble the mill to clean it up - (necessary because the coffee beans produce some natural oil when grinding) - you have to adjust it again and sometimes the ground is not as thin or too much.

Also grind enough coffee for 2-3 cups with a thin ground require time. You finish grinding more coffee than you need to avoid repeating operation later so you get an old-grinded coffee so not fresh, same kind of getting your preffered coffed directly grounded in the shop.

So, a good mill for a single or pair of coffee cups, most gourmet wish than efficient for daily use.

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›