Package Quantity: 1|Style Name: Hand Coffee Grinder|Change

on 29 January 2014
The Kyocera and the Hario Skerton are reportedly the same grinder, just with different labels.

We've been using this hand grinder for about a year and love it more and more all the time. At first we found it somewhat annoying because it seemed to take forever to grind the morning coffee, but now we find that it's a great reminder to sloooow down a little - and honestly, it really only takes a minute. But it's become somewhat of a morning meditation. There aren't any real instructions that come with it, so it took me a frustrating half an hour to figure out how to set the grind size. I thought it might be nice to share what I learned to save others the annoyance, so I got out my video camera this morning and put together this product overview along with instructions on setting the grind size.

PS - It always makes my day to know that people find these reviews helpful. If you'd also like to ask a question or leave a comment I usually respond the same day, so if you have a question or comment (even if it's just to say, Hi!") feel free to post it below.

Thanks,
Claire
6363 comments|727 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 November 2012
I spent a long time researching coffee grinders, reading reviews etc and this one sounded like a good buy. It certainly was. I fell in love with it right from Day One. It is beautifully-designed, simple, elegant and lovely to use. The little non-slip 'sock' (what a clever idea) stops the whole thing slipping on the kitchen bench. The length of the handle makes it effortless to turn, the grinding action feels smooth and powerful and it takes a lot less time to grind the beans than I thought it would. One tablespoon of beans at the finest setting to make a double 'espresso' in my stovetop Bialetti Brikka Espresso Maker, 2 cup takes an average of 53 revolutions, which might sound a lot but it isn't. In fact, standing there turning the handle as the aroma of coffee wafts up to one's nose feels like part of a sacred ceremony and adds another whole dimension to the enjoyment of the coffee. (Especially great for us Brikka enthusiasts, whose coffee-making already has that quality of mindfulness!) I am so glad I bought this beautiful little thing instead of yet another electrical appliance.
on 9 January 2016
I bought this grinder after reading around the subject and finding that it or the smaller Hario are pretty much the best option for coffee grinding without spending significantly more money.

I found it easy to set my preferred grind level (very fine filter/espresso) but if you feel the need to change your grind often you might find the mechanism a bit awkward. It's not difficult to change but there is no marking so knowing exactly where to turn the screw to is an issue. I imagine most people will just set it once and forget about it like I have though.

The quality of the grind I get is good. I'm no coffee expert and I'm sure the much more expensive hand grinders and machines can do better but for my purposes I get the consistent fine grind I'm looking for to use in my aeropress.

Grinding itself was a little awkward and time consuming at first but with a little practice I can now get a serving ground in about a minute. If I regularly served coffee for three or more people it would become a bit of a chore and I'd get an electric grinder but for one or two servings it's not a problem to grind on demand with this. You should be aware that it does require some effort, particularly if you want to grind fast, and you have to maintain a solid grip on the grinder. I wouldn't recommend it (or any other manual grinder most likely) for people who want an easy life or who have muscle or joint trouble with their hands/arms/shoulders.

Other than that it looks quite nice on the shelf, is easy to clean and still feels solid after several months of daily use. Thumbs up.
on 13 January 2013
Japan isn't the first country you'd think of in connection with coffee, but they are pretty good at precision engineering as this little mill proves. My Elektra Microcasa lever action espresso machine is extremely fussy about the grind of the coffee used and I've tried other grinders and mills before with no success. Setup is quite easy - just follow the instructions in the leaflet. The further clockwise the little adjusting screw is turned the finer the grind - I find one 'notch' back from minimum is fine for espresso.

At first sight the handle on the mill seems rather long, but the reason for this becomes apparent once you start trying to grind to espresso grade - it's quite hard work! Grinding enough beans for two double shots takes about 250 turns. If you're doing a coarser grind it'll take less time. The rubber cover on the receiving jar stops it slipping while you grind and there's a screw cap to allow you to store unused grounds.

In short it does the job as well as the best professional grinders at about 1/10 of the price.
on 30 June 2012
It took a fair amount of research to make this purchase...

If you are not a total expert with coffee, but love the stuff like me, please read!

The quality of your brew along with using very fresh beans is really down to the grinder-
This is almost more important than the coffee machine.

I was very tempted to buy a cheap-£50- whistles and bells burr grinder, as burr grinders give the best results, and are far superior to blade ones, as give consistent results

Anyway, to cut a long story short, unless you are going to spend £500+ on a grinder,you will not get the results of what this little gadget can do.

Reading coffee forums such as coffeegeek.com gave the lowdown- this hand grinder is perfect for espresso and medium grind, and to get similar results would cost forking out well over a grand.
It can give the same result of a commercial machine , which can cost thousands.

It is excellent for cafetiere/french press, but it's best to get buy a tweak for it from which costs $16- there is info on YouTube about it.Its a modified lower bearing from OE coffee , I think

The time it takes to grind is not very long- about the same as waiting for the kettle to boil.

If you want to speed things up , just put a 6mm acorn nut on the top and attach it to a
rechargeable screwdriver-
Don't attach it to a power drill, or it will damage it & burn the coffee as too fast!

Re getting fresh beans- try Brian Wogan in Bristol- they are a small company with fantastic beans and blends, and their stuff is only a day or so old, seriously fresh, gorgeous and cheap-£11 a kilo.
It is possible to collect from the factory gate, and they also post nationwide reasonably and supply Michelin starred restaurants in the South West.

Once you have tried their stuff you will never buy from a supermarket again.
Nearly all supermarket beans are weeks or months old by the time it hits the shelf-
not fresh at all .

These grinders are identical to the Tamio ones, but the top casing is slightly translucent, which looks nicer. To get best results, do a really fine grind... the coffee is sooo much nicer!
33 comments|76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 July 2014
Works pretty well for stove top Mokapot and Aeropress but isn't good for coarse grinding because the bottom burr wobbles like crazy. The finer the grind the better. Steps are pretty big but there is a "stepless" mod using a 0.10$ locknut. I haven't done this yet.
It's a good first grinder if you want to start experimenting with fresh beans. Not for espresso though.
If you want a good hand grinder that will do it all, including espresso, skip this or a cheap electric burr grinder and get a Lido 2 by Orphan Espresso.
on 28 September 2014
It takes a bit of time to get a fine grind, but it does a marvellous job! The quality of the item is impeccable.
As I use a filter machine, the included manual tells me a fine grind is most appropriate. After a couple of tries getting the spacing right, this grinder gets me a nice and fine grind. It takes a bit of time to get ground coffee ready for use, but nothing too bad. It might get tedious if you want to make a lot of coffee though. (Especially if you like strong coffee, like me.)
Producing a more coarse grind on the other hand, is much quicker. If the type of machine you're using works better with a coarse grind, this item is ideal even to make a lot of coffee!

And there is absolutely nothing that beats the smell of freshly ground coffee in the morning! I'll take the extra minute it takes to prepare coffee with this so I get to thoroughly enjoy it!

Additionally, since a cap is included for the collector, it's very easy to grind beans beforehand and keep them airtight. This also works very well and does an outstanding job at keeping the ground coffee, though I prefer to grind them as used.
on 5 April 2016
It takes a lot to impress me when it comes to value for money and exceeding expectations, but this Hario burr grinder Hario Medium Glass Hand Coffee Grinder with Ceramic Burrs, Clear has done it for me.

There are several reasons: build quality seems great; the grinder has a real "quality" feel; usability is great and better than I expected; the coffee is ground very nicely; the bottom pot is solid glass and can hold/store quite a bit of ground coffee (I think it says about 100grams); it can be disassembled and all parts washed in water, and the manual, fresh grinding of the coffee beans actually adds a kind nice "ritual" to the whole experience making it more enjoyable.

I only bought it a week ago but I hope the following deliberation/information is helpful to others. I wanted something to manually grind coffee for use in a Pezzetti Moka pot (I much prefer the coffee this makes to filter coffee; it tastes richer and deeper to me). In the Pezzetti I always use about 2 tablespoons of ground coffee to make my mug and, reading around, I figured out that might be about 10 grams of beans. After reading around a bit more I decided I wanted a burr grinder (grind consistency seemed better with these) and, moreover, one that could grind enough in one go for 2-3 cups (so I wanted something that could grind up to 30 grams in a go). In the Hario I have found it takes about 70-90 turns (<1 minute) of the handle to grind about 10 grams of beans fine enough for my Pizzetti (and you could easily put 4-5 times that amount of beans in the top grinding bowl). I am yet to experiment with grinding even finer, and I guess that would mean more turns, but I would expect that to be no problem. One other thing is that the grounds are nice and consistent in size.

If you want to set/change the grind size you have to take the top bit apart to adjust it, but it is easy to do. It is hard to see how anything can go wrong there so I expect the grinder will last me a long time.

Nothing is ever perfect, but considering its cost, quality and results, this product is pretty darn close. How would I improve it if I were Hario? When you turn the handle you have to grip the jar fairly well to stop the occasional (and mild irritating) wobble. I think they could easily solve that by adding (or even after market selling) a suction grip to the attachable bottom rubber base so to be able to anchor it to a surface (like they have for another model they sell). This would also make it even more suitable for someone who may not have a reasonable grip, i.e. perhaps someone older. If Hario would like to send me a suction rubber base to try out, I would be more than happy to do so :). Other than that, I cannot right now see how this product could be reasonably bettered. Obviously, I now need to see how well it lasts, but I have a good feeling on that.

So, overall: well designed, good quality, good packaging, good results!
on 18 June 2014
I have been using my Nespresso a few years now. Now and again I always go back to my filter coffee machine for that big mug of coffee. Reading about the filter V cafetiere dilemma, I thought I would give the latter a go. Of course that lead me to this Hario manual grinder.

Look I am no coffee connoisseur. Those supposedly in the know say a ceramic burr grinder like this one gives you better ground coffee compared to a electric blade one (something to do with the oils on the coffee beans).

Now every morning I grind enough coffee for my 8 cup cafetiere. It doesn't take long and it is now part of my morning ritual. I mainly use Percol coffee beans and I love the taste of this coffee first thing. Before loading the grinder with beans I set the burr grinder level to suit my cafetiere. (After a few weeks of use this is is easily done.) This Hario has a long handle for grinding which makes the process easier and faster. I always leave the lid on while grinding as sometimes the grinder gets 'stuck' on a coffee bean and this may cause coffee beans to jump out of the grinder.

In the evening I have to clean my cafetiere and cleaning the grinder is part of the process. I completely dis-assemble the grinder. Each part is washable. I simply rinse with water and dry. I take care while doing this making sure I don't break anything.

Overall I love this new gadget. For me grinding fresh coffee each morning is now part of my morning ritual. It does require some effort but I think it is well worth it.
on 22 February 2016
I bought this for my girlfriend and its the perfect size for grinding beans for 2 for a week or so. Sturdy little grinder with a nice aesthetic look. Grinding can be a bit tiring on the hand but once you get used to the technique it works perfectly. Having said that, that represents no flaw in the product but is rather a result of the kind of grinder it is. i specifically wanted a manual grinder as I had heard tell of the electric ones giving in eventually. And I like the exercise. 2 birds 1 stone.