5.0 out of 5 stars How to adjust the grind & video review
Customer Video Review     Length:: 2:01 Mins
The Kyocera and the Hario Skerton are reportedly the same grinder, just with different labels.

Published 13 months ago by Claire Jordan

3.0 out of 5 stars Not terrible...
Works pretty well for stove top Mokapot and Aeropress but isn't good for coarse grinding because the bottom burr wobbles like crazy. The finer the grind the better. Steps are pretty big but there is a "stepless" mod using a 0.10$ locknut. I haven't done this yet.
It's a good first grinder if you want to start experimenting with fresh beans. Not for...
Published 7 months ago by Kyle

5.0 out of 5 stars How to adjust the grind & video review, 29 Jan. 2014
Claire Jordan "Filmmaker - "The Baroness ... (New Orleans, LA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hario Medium Glass Hand Coffee Grinder with Ceramic Burrs, Clear (Kitchen & Home)
Length:: 2:01 Mins

We've been using this hand grinder for about a year and love it more and more all the time. At first we found it somewhat annoying because it seemed to take forever to grind the morning coffee, but now we find that it's a great reminder to sloooow down a little - and honestly, it really only takes a minute. But it's become somewhat of a morning meditation. There aren't any real instructions that come with it, so it took me a frustrating half an hour to figure out how to set the grind size. I thought it might be nice to share what I learned to save others the annoyance, so I got out my video camera this morning and put together this product overview along with instructions on setting the grind size.

PS - It always makes my day to know that people find these reviews helpful. If you'd also like to ask a question or leave a comment I usually respond the same day, so if you have a question or comment (even if it's just to say, Hi!") feel free to post it below.

Thanks,
Claire

5.0 out of 5 stars Love at First Sight, 3 Nov. 2012
I spent a long time researching coffee grinders, reading reviews etc and this one sounded like a good buy. It certainly was. I fell in love with it right from Day One. It is beautifully-designed, simple, elegant and lovely to use. The little non-slip 'sock' (what a clever idea) stops the whole thing slipping on the kitchen bench. The length of the handle makes it effortless to turn, the grinding action feels smooth and powerful and it takes a lot less time to grind the beans than I thought it would. One tablespoon of beans at the finest setting to make a double 'espresso' in my stovetop Bialetti Brikka Espresso Maker, 2 cup takes an average of 53 revolutions, which might sound a lot but it isn't. In fact, standing there turning the handle as the aroma of coffee wafts up to one's nose feels like part of a sacred ceremony and adds another whole dimension to the enjoyment of the coffee. (Especially great for us Brikka enthusiasts, whose coffee-making already has that quality of mindfulness!) I am so glad I bought this beautiful little thing instead of yet another electrical appliance.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best mill of any kind in its price range, 13 Jan. 2013
Dr. L. J. Noble "mrcampbell4" (Jedburgh Scotland) - See all my reviews
Japan isn't the first country you'd think of in connection with coffee, but they are pretty good at precision engineering as this little mill proves. My Elektra Microcasa lever action espresso machine is extremely fussy about the grind of the coffee used and I've tried other grinders and mills before with no success. Setup is quite easy - just follow the instructions in the leaflet. The further clockwise the little adjusting screw is turned the finer the grind - I find one 'notch' back from minimum is fine for espresso.

At first sight the handle on the mill seems rather long, but the reason for this becomes apparent once you start trying to grind to espresso grade - it's quite hard work! Grinding enough beans for two double shots takes about 250 turns. If you're doing a coarser grind it'll take less time. The rubber cover on the receiving jar stops it slipping while you grind and there's a screw cap to allow you to store unused grounds.

In short it does the job as well as the best professional grinders at about 1/10 of the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic bit of kit!, 1 Dec. 2012
Jane Smith (London, England) - See all my reviews
This is so easy to use, you only have do grind a small amount each time, no noisy grinding and you can keep excess grounds in the glass compartment with the lid. I can't fault it.

5.0 out of 5 stars You must get one of these..brilliant!, 30 Jun. 2012
It took a fair amount of research to make this purchase...

If you are not a total expert with coffee, but love the stuff like me, please read!

The quality of your brew along with using very fresh beans is really down to the grinder-
This is almost more important than the coffee machine.

I was very tempted to buy a cheap-£50- whistles and bells burr grinder, as burr grinders give the best results, and are far superior to blade ones, as give consistent results

Anyway, to cut a long story short, unless you are going to spend £500+ on a grinder,you will not get the results of what this little gadget can do.

Reading coffee forums such as coffeegeek.com gave the lowdown- this hand grinder is perfect for espresso and medium grind, and to get similar results would cost forking out well over a grand.
It can give the same result of a commercial machine , which can cost thousands.

It is excellent for cafetiere/french press, but it's best to get buy a tweak for it from which costs $16- there is info on YouTube about it.Its a modified lower bearing from OE coffee , I think

The time it takes to grind is not very long- about the same as waiting for the kettle to boil.

If you want to speed things up , just put a 6mm acorn nut on the top and attach it to a
rechargeable screwdriver-
Don't attach it to a power drill, or it will damage it & burn the coffee as too fast!

Re getting fresh beans- try Brian Wogan in Bristol- they are a small company with fantastic beans and blends, and their stuff is only a day or so old, seriously fresh, gorgeous and cheap-£11 a kilo.
It is possible to collect from the factory gate, and they also post nationwide reasonably and supply Michelin starred restaurants in the South West.

Once you have tried their stuff you will never buy from a supermarket again.
Nearly all supermarket beans are weeks or months old by the time it hits the shelf-
not fresh at all .

These grinders are identical to the Tamio ones, but the top casing is slightly translucent, which looks nicer. To get best results, do a really fine grind... the coffee is sooo much nicer!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Grinder, 13 Aug. 2013
I bought this after reading various reviews and agree with what I read. The grinder works brilliantly when doing grounds for espresso producing a very fine ground. When changing the setting to do a coarser grind it is less reliable as the grounds are of a varying consistency. This can be remedied by purchasing a lower bearing upgrade kit. As I only wanted it for espresso, it has been everything I wanted.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good - but watch the price!, 5 Jun. 2013
I took the advice of another reviewer and replaced the handle with an acorn nut. My cordless screwdriver (also in my reviews) now does the hard work. I also marked the adjustment dial with a permanent marker to give a reference point when altering the depth for the grind; however this is not a grinder to be altering the grind all the time as it is fiddly.

I only use the finest grind setting, but as has been pointed out elsewhere, the greater the gap for coarser grinds, the more the grinding base swings freely and causes an uneven grind.

I don't want to get too hung up on coffee and if I did I would spend hundreds of pounds on the right gear, but for the money I don't think I could have made a better purchase. The ceramic grinding mechanism is what sold it to me. (I clean it by grinding a little uncooked rice)

EDIT: I paid £38.00 to 'Coffee Hit' for this item believing it to be the market price. I've since seen the price fluctuate massively and at times under a tenner delivered.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best of the hand grind bunch, 14 May 2013
A. D. Mcgrath - See all my reviews
This grinder has now had over six months worth of use and is pretty good so I thought it deserved an honest review.
I've ground for French Press, Stove top (Bialetti), and low-mid range espresso machine (domestic).
The results for the press and stove top were great and surprisingly not bad as well for the espresso maker. It achieved crema to an acceptable degree IMHO.
The grind adjust is a tad fiddley because you have to unscrew the nut and take off the handle before setting the coarseness, but unless you switch between espresso and press it shouldn't bug you. But my God you have to work this baby hard for a fair few minutes for a real fine grind. Being a newbie to home grinding I didn't realise the finer the grind the longer the wind (time).

I opted for a manual grinder because I thought it would be nice and quiet in the mornings so as not to wake the family up before work. Although, no where near as loud as an electronic grinder this does give out a fair bit of noise. The wife has the hearing of a bat though so I still get the glare.
But well worth it for a decent coffee first thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very very useful coffee? grinder - so good in fact that ..., 13 July 2014
Michael Eaton "the Walrus" (Cornwall) - See all my reviews
A very very useful coffee? grinder - so good in fact that I now have two, one for coffee and one for spices! the grading is simple to use and produces the level required, which because of the style does not change in use. The protection to the base is simple yet effective and the addition of the lid is useful should i ever need it! The only thing that does worry me is that as the base is glass if dropped it will probably shatter and therefore the grinder would be of no further use unless a suitable container was found - plus of course the availablility of spare jars would mean that the lid would be in full time use as well!! Having said that I've just tried an empty jam jar - fits perfectly! Useful to know!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent coffee grinder - great value, 23 Oct. 2014
To add to the many 5 star reviews of this item - this is an excellent coffee grinder and great value for money. It's easy to use, takes up very little room and most importantly produces a very good quality grind.

It's a great design - based on a traditional hand mill - with the added feature of having a detachable glass jar with a lid to store your coffee once it's ground, although for freshness I only tend to grind as much as I need. The ceramic burrs are easy to adjust to change the fineness of the grind. Being a hand grinder, the grains are not necessarily entirely uniform on a coarser setting, but this still produces a very decent cup of coffee. On a finer setting, this is as good as a large commercial coffee grinder I've used, so surprisingly ideal for espresso.

If you're the only coffee drinker in your household, or only drink one cup a day, this is perfect as you can grind as little as you need ensuring fresh coffee every time. It's also more economical as there's no longer that bag of ground coffee going stale as you attempt to get through it.

Regarding how much force is needed to use the grinder, I've found that this depends very much on the roast of the bean - lighter roasted beans need a little more force than stronger dark roasted beans, which are comparably much easier to grind. However, very little strength is needed at all. The mechanism does most of the work and the size makes it easy to handle.

At this price, it's the perfect item to buy either as a gift or for yourself, if you're considering grinding your own coffee beans but don't want to commit to a higher priced piece of equipment.

Having used it for several months, however, I can't see that I'll need to upgrade from this grinder any time soon. A great buy.