5.0 out of 5 stars How to adjust the grind & video review
Customer Video Review     Length:: 2:01 Mins
The Kyocera and the Hario Skerton are reportedly the same grinder, just with different labels.

Published 17 months ago by Claire Jordan

3.0 out of 5 stars Not terrible...
Works pretty well for stove top Mokapot and Aeropress but isn't good for coarse grinding because the bottom burr wobbles like crazy. The finer the grind the better. Steps are pretty big but there is a "stepless" mod using a 0.10$ locknut. I haven't done this yet.
Published 11 months ago by Kyle

5.0 out of 5 stars How to adjust the grind & video review, 29 Jan. 2014
Claire Jordan "Filmmaker - "The Baroness ... (New Orleans, LA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hario Medium Glass Hand Coffee Grinder with Ceramic Burrs, Clear (Kitchen & Home)
Length:: 2:01 Mins

We've been using this hand grinder for about a year and love it more and more all the time. At first we found it somewhat annoying because it seemed to take forever to grind the morning coffee, but now we find that it's a great reminder to sloooow down a little - and honestly, it really only takes a minute. But it's become somewhat of a morning meditation. There aren't any real instructions that come with it, so it took me a frustrating half an hour to figure out how to set the grind size. I thought it might be nice to share what I learned to save others the annoyance, so I got out my video camera this morning and put together this product overview along with instructions on setting the grind size.

PS - It always makes my day to know that people find these reviews helpful. If you'd also like to ask a question or leave a comment I usually respond the same day, so if you have a question or comment (even if it's just to say, Hi!") feel free to post it below.

Thanks,
Claire

5.0 out of 5 stars Love at First Sight, 3 Nov. 2012
I spent a long time researching coffee grinders, reading reviews etc and this one sounded like a good buy. It certainly was. I fell in love with it right from Day One. It is beautifully-designed, simple, elegant and lovely to use. The little non-slip 'sock' (what a clever idea) stops the whole thing slipping on the kitchen bench. The length of the handle makes it effortless to turn, the grinding action feels smooth and powerful and it takes a lot less time to grind the beans than I thought it would. One tablespoon of beans at the finest setting to make a double 'espresso' in my stovetop Bialetti Brikka Espresso Maker, 2 cup takes an average of 53 revolutions, which might sound a lot but it isn't. In fact, standing there turning the handle as the aroma of coffee wafts up to one's nose feels like part of a sacred ceremony and adds another whole dimension to the enjoyment of the coffee. (Especially great for us Brikka enthusiasts, whose coffee-making already has that quality of mindfulness!) I am so glad I bought this beautiful little thing instead of yet another electrical appliance.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best mill of any kind in its price range, 13 Jan. 2013
Dr. L. J. Noble "mrcampbell4" (Jedburgh Scotland) - See all my reviews
Japan isn't the first country you'd think of in connection with coffee, but they are pretty good at precision engineering as this little mill proves. My Elektra Microcasa lever action espresso machine is extremely fussy about the grind of the coffee used and I've tried other grinders and mills before with no success. Setup is quite easy - just follow the instructions in the leaflet. The further clockwise the little adjusting screw is turned the finer the grind - I find one 'notch' back from minimum is fine for espresso.

At first sight the handle on the mill seems rather long, but the reason for this becomes apparent once you start trying to grind to espresso grade - it's quite hard work! Grinding enough beans for two double shots takes about 250 turns. If you're doing a coarser grind it'll take less time. The rubber cover on the receiving jar stops it slipping while you grind and there's a screw cap to allow you to store unused grounds.

In short it does the job as well as the best professional grinders at about 1/10 of the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Grinder, 13 Aug. 2013
I bought this after reading various reviews and agree with what I read. The grinder works brilliantly when doing grounds for espresso producing a very fine ground. When changing the setting to do a coarser grind it is less reliable as the grounds are of a varying consistency. This can be remedied by purchasing a lower bearing upgrade kit. As I only wanted it for espresso, it has been everything I wanted.

5.0 out of 5 stars You must get one of these..brilliant!, 30 Jun. 2012
It took a fair amount of research to make this purchase...

If you are not a total expert with coffee, but love the stuff like me, please read!

The quality of your brew along with using very fresh beans is really down to the grinder-
This is almost more important than the coffee machine.

I was very tempted to buy a cheap-£50- whistles and bells burr grinder, as burr grinders give the best results, and are far superior to blade ones, as give consistent results

Anyway, to cut a long story short, unless you are going to spend £500+ on a grinder,you will not get the results of what this little gadget can do.

Reading coffee forums such as coffeegeek.com gave the lowdown- this hand grinder is perfect for espresso and medium grind, and to get similar results would cost forking out well over a grand.
It can give the same result of a commercial machine , which can cost thousands.

It is excellent for cafetiere/french press, but it's best to get buy a tweak for it from which costs $16- there is info on YouTube about it.Its a modified lower bearing from OE coffee , I think

The time it takes to grind is not very long- about the same as waiting for the kettle to boil.

If you want to speed things up , just put a 6mm acorn nut on the top and attach it to a
rechargeable screwdriver-
Don't attach it to a power drill, or it will damage it & burn the coffee as too fast!

Re getting fresh beans- try Brian Wogan in Bristol- they are a small company with fantastic beans and blends, and their stuff is only a day or so old, seriously fresh, gorgeous and cheap-£11 a kilo.
It is possible to collect from the factory gate, and they also post nationwide reasonably and supply Michelin starred restaurants in the South West.

Once you have tried their stuff you will never buy from a supermarket again.
Nearly all supermarket beans are weeks or months old by the time it hits the shelf-
not fresh at all .

These grinders are identical to the Tamio ones, but the top casing is slightly translucent, which looks nicer. To get best results, do a really fine grind... the coffee is sooo much nicer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic bit of kit!, 1 Dec. 2012
Jane Smith (London, England) - See all my reviews
This is so easy to use, you only have do grind a small amount each time, no noisy grinding and you can keep excess grounds in the glass compartment with the lid. I can't fault it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not terrible..., 13 July 2014
It's a good first grinder if you want to start experimenting with fresh beans. Not for espresso though.
If you want a good hand grinder that will do it all, including espresso, skip this or a cheap electric burr grinder and get a Lido 2 by Orphan Espresso.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best of the hand grind bunch, 14 May 2013
A. D. Mcgrath - See all my reviews
This grinder has now had over six months worth of use and is pretty good so I thought it deserved an honest review.
I've ground for French Press, Stove top (Bialetti), and low-mid range espresso machine (domestic).
The results for the press and stove top were great and surprisingly not bad as well for the espresso maker. It achieved crema to an acceptable degree IMHO.
The grind adjust is a tad fiddley because you have to unscrew the nut and take off the handle before setting the coarseness, but unless you switch between espresso and press it shouldn't bug you. But my God you have to work this baby hard for a fair few minutes for a real fine grind. Being a newbie to home grinding I didn't realise the finer the grind the longer the wind (time).

I opted for a manual grinder because I thought it would be nice and quiet in the mornings so as not to wake the family up before work. Although, no where near as loud as an electronic grinder this does give out a fair bit of noise. The wife has the hearing of a bat though so I still get the glare.
But well worth it for a decent coffee first thing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Uneven Grind When Set for Coarse, 16 Jan. 2015
This is a decent grinder. It's well-made and feels quite sturdy and durable. There are a few drawbacks, though:

I have been using it for a couple of months now, and I am still getting used to how long it takes to grind by hand! This is not for the quick-cup-o-joe I am used to with an electric grinder. Not good when I need to get out the door in the morning.

I bought this mainly to grind beans for use in my French press/cafetière, which requires a coarse grind. Unfortunately, there is nothing stabilising the ceramic burr wheel in the centre, so it wobbles a bit. This results in an uneven grind when set for coarse. There coarse grounds and tiny granules all mixed in. Results in sludge at the bottom of my mug. Very disappointing. I'm sure this grinder is brilliant for medium or fine grounds... but NOT coarse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, amazing customer service!!, 30 Jan. 2014
My brother bought me this coffee grinder for Christmas. I was delighted with the product which seems very well made and I imagine will stand the test of time. Imagine my despair when in a clumsy rush I delved into the fridge for the storage jar only to drop it onto the tiled kitchen floor,smashing it to smithereens! I'd only had the damn thing 10 days! I could not find the storage jar sold separately anywhere so I emailed Hario UK to ask if they had one they could sell me. They sent an extremely kind email response saying that they'd send me one straight away as a "gesture of goodwill". It arrived within 2 days! You don't usually get customer service like that anywhere anymore. Thanks Hario and massive recommendation!!!