5.0 out of 5 stars Great debut - fresh, different and full of hooks

Published 23 months ago by dan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great debut - fresh, different and full of hooks, 7 Aug 2008
R. WEST-SOLEY "Rich West-Soley" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Little Voice (Audio CD)
Sara Bareilles is a breath of fresh air in the pop scene, and seems to have come from nowhere just when we needed an injection of hooky, melodic piano pop. Little Voice is full of catchy tunes, not least the chart success "Love Song". Stylistically there's a lot of variety here, from the bluesy "Vegas" to the edgier pop rock of "Morningside" and the sensitive, reflective ballad "Between the Lines". The clean-cut mix of piano and bass are ever-present, though, giving the album an honest approach - a bit like Maroon 5 meets Ben Folds Five, with Sara's expert vocal on top. As for Sara herself, she really has something special which defies a single comparison - at times she has a bit of Sandi Thom about her, at others she's a little Natasha Bedingfield, and then there's a bit of Gabriella Cilmi - her voice is really multifaceted.

All in all, well recommended - a great listen and every track worth revisiting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Way better than I thought it would be, 15 Feb 2009
This review is from: Little Voice (Audio CD)
When I first downloaded this album, it has to be said, initially, it was from no great love for Sara Bareilles' music or singing voice. Instead, it was simply because of the fact that I couldn't get that infernal "Love Song" out of my head after hearing again and again on the music channels. So I downloaded it, listened to the track a few times, got bored of it, and there it sat, unlistened to, on my iPod for some time(partially due to the fact Vegas was the following track, which I never took to and is still my least favourite song on the album.)

Some months later I found myself listening to it again through shuffle,a pure accident, and was surprised to find myself actually enjoying listening to "Morningside." That led me onto the other tracks and a growing realisation that the album was nothing short of brilliant. Bareilles has something that I had never realised I'd been missing until I happened upon it. A beautiful, clear, awesome clarity of voice, tone, feeling; something, in short, of making the hearer feel privileged to listen to her. The words are clear(not screamed or distorted by sound technology),the instrumentals crisp and the message clear.

The lyrics are, as a bonus, refreshingly original and ring through heartfelt. So unlike some pop "music" of nowadays, where the same annoying sentiments are rehashed using the same annoying phrases and whining tones. They are also, to my suprise, funny, at times, thankfully not through their indeptness at conveying the sentiments behind them, but for the converse. One such example, that makes me chuckle every time, is in "Fairytale" -
"The tall blond lets out a sigh of despair,
says - "Would've cut it myself, if I knew men could climb hair"
Gotta find myself another tower somewhere,
Keep away from the window."

You can't fault her for not being original - that particular slant on Rapunzel amuses me to no end. That is but one example of this album's brilliance. There are many, reader. My recommendations as a favourite sad song (which, again, I was surprised by, as I loath sad songs) "Gravity" and as a happy one, aside from "Love Song", "Morningside." Both I loved, along with this entire album. Gravity remains my favourite.

I highly recommend this album, for not only all the above reasons, but also for the happy knowledge that it suprised me. I always think it's the best feeling in the world, being suprised by a piece of music. I was wrong about Sara Bareilles, and happily so. Her album has done more than prove me wrong, it has given me many hours of joy listening to it tell me how wrong I was.

I hope it will do the same for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Standing applause for modestly titled "Little Voice", 21 Jun 2008
Louise Amkaer (Greenland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Little Voice (Audio CD)
There is a jungle of female singer/songwriters out there, but only a few with a talent as Sara Bareilles. With "Little Voice" Sara Bareilles demonstrates that she is much more than one in a crowd of indistingishable artists. She is a poignant lyricist, versatile musician,and confident singer.

I especially like the way she works with rhythms in her songs. Some songs have drums and percussion, but the piano is the key in the rhythm.

On some songs it is easy to identify her musical inspirations, but Sara Bareilles manages to let herself be inspired and take flight on her own.

Sara Bareilles deserves a standing applause for the modestly titled "Little Voice".

Louise

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite album of the year, 21 Sep 2008
This review is from: Little Voice (Audio CD)
I have never written a review before but felt that this time, this gem of an album deserves all the credit it can get.'Love Song' is buzzing through my head all day long I think I even sing it in my sleep!! Every song is so different, a factor that is missing from a lot of albums these days, which makes it so endearing. 'Love on the Rocks' is amazing, I just adore it. Everyone should own a copy and promote this young maestro, she deserves all the fame and fortune of a Super Star. Certainly one to watch. I hope the second album is as great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Little Voice - Big Heart, 24 Aug 2008
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Little Voice (Audio CD)
..... and still they keep coming !

Yet another gifted writer / performer.

This time from across the water.

On this evidence home-grown isn't necessarily better.

(The Divine -but disintegrating - Ms Winehouse excepted of course).

The industry's current obsession with all things female
is beginning to reach saturation point.

...... and yet .....

Perhaps Ms Bareilles may be permitted a few moments of our time.

Little Voice is a solid and splendid Little Album.

Eleven very good songs and one real cracker - 'Between The Lines' -
head-and-shoulders above the rest.

The voice is soulful, elegant and never anything less than centered.

The band and producer are on her side.

Ms Bareilles grasp of jazzy vocal inflection is light and convincing -
'Vegas'; 'Come Round Soon'; 'Love On The Rocks' and 'Fairytale'
bring the young Ms R.L. Jones to mind - and no shame in that.

'Love Song'; 'Morningside' and 'Many The Miles' demonstrate her
not insignificant R&B credentials.

With 'Between The Lines' however we come to the centre of that
which this talented young woman is capable.
It is a truly gorgeous, bitter-sweet beauty of a song, which,
had she heard it first, Ms Twain may have fought tooth and claw to
possess in an attempt to resurrect her ailing career.

This one song alone is worth the price of the album.

Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 7 July 2014
Good value

5.0 out of 5 stars Certainly not a little voice, 13 Jan 2014
This review is from: Little Voice (Audio CD)
great cd at a great price and what a wonderful voice. Just can't stop playing it. Looking forward to listening more from this artist.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great first album, 12 Nov 2013
This review is from: Little Voice (Audio CD)
It is my least favourite of her albums that I bought, but still has some great songs on it like Love Song and Gravity. Such a great singer songwriter, if only all pop singers had thins much talent!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun album, 12 Oct 2013
This review is from: Little Voice (Audio CD)
Great album with a really good mix of songs that can be listened to repeatedly without getting bored. "Love Song" and "Gravity" are the pick of this album.

2.0 out of 5 stars good voice, songs lack depth, 15 Sep 2012
dan (north ayrshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Little Voice (Audio CD)
This singer undoubtably possesses a fine, rich singing voice, and she sings well, but for me there is a lack of emotional connection between singer and song. She sings the songs, but without the feeling that she really means it and lives it. Some quite good songs, some mediocre songs,some poor songs, and always that richness of voice, all leave lots of room for improvement.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Little Voice
Little Voice by Sara Bareilles (Audio CD - 2008)