4.0 out of 5 stars No time to be twenty-one
The greatest compliment I can pay this album is it makes me yearn to be twenty-one again, downing Thunderbird, checking myself in the mirror, and singing along to this, as I get ready to head out into Friday night and the club where the dream girl/boy will be. It might not be much more than that, but isn't that enough?
Scott Walker when I get back, but that's another...
Published on 16 Feb 2009 by Paul Duerden

3.0 out of 5 stars A fun party album
Published on 10 July 2008 by M. K. Sutton

3.0 out of 5 stars A fun party album, 10 July 2008
M. K. Sutton "www.come2whereimfrom.co.uk" (Nottingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Partie Traumatic (Audio CD)
When I used to flop around the floor like a disco fish it was to `Where's me jumper' by the Sultans of Ping or something by Pop Will Eat Itself, these days the kids will be bounding around to the sounds of `I'm not gonna teach your boyfriend how to dance with you' by the Black Kids or indeed anything from their debut album `Partie Traumatic'. Because without a doubt this is a fun record, a party record and a record you can dance to but it won't change you life. Yeah it sounds like The Cure in places, Human League in others there's even a dash of early Prince but it's also catchy enough that nearly all of the ten tracks could be a potential single and all will lodge firmly in your head after just one listen. Lyrically it opens up to you the more times you hear it and although some of the lines are dumb they are easily sing-along-able. A couple of the tunes here sound very similar but that is really a minor criticism of an album that overall is great. Indie-disco, nu-rave-pop or whatever you want to call it this is going to soundtrack your summer whether you like it or not so you might as well jump on board now. I'm not sure of the longevity of the band but as far as the right now goes these guys are it.

4.0 out of 5 stars No time to be twenty-one, 16 Feb 2009
This review is from: Partie Traumatic (Audio CD)
Scott Walker when I get back, but that's another story...

4.0 out of 5 stars Forget the hype, 9 July 2008
Reprob8 (West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Partie Traumatic (Audio CD)
It's not often that a band gets a backlash before they even release their first album but that's what Black Kids have unfortunately witnessed from some over skeptical critics. The truth is, if you listen to the 10 songs on this raucous indie pop album without attaching any unfounded expectation then you'll probably love it.

The band are obviously influenced by The Cure. 'I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How To Dance With You' and 'I'm Making Eyes At You' are reminiscent of 'In Between Days' and 'Close To Me' respectively. There's a few songs that sound a bit rushed but overall, Partie Traumatic is a fine debut effort.

4.0 out of 5 stars Black Kids Partie Fantastic, 24 Jun 2008
Ms. C. E. Caines (LONDON) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Partie Traumatic (Audio CD)
Considering the amount of hype that has followed this band over the last few months you could perhaps forgive them for not meeting expectations with their debut album; 'Partie Traumatic'. Fortunatly for them and us listeners they have managed to exceed them, with an exciting an relentless ten track treat.
They seem to have manged to create an album jam packed with singles; 'I Want To Be Your Limosine' manages to revive disco and bring it bang up to date with it's funky baseline and sleazy lyrics. Singles 'Hurricaine Jane' and I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How To Dance' are of course stand out tracks and sit happily alongside the girating 'Look At Me When I Rock Wichoo' to name but one. This album is more than likely set to be the party album of the summer, all in all a fantastic debut from a promising new act.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as we hoped it would be., 9 Jun 2008
KJ (Brighton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Partie Traumatic (Audio CD)
I've been lucky enough to hear this album in full and it's just as good as you wanted it to be from the first time you heard I Don't Wanna Teach Your Boyfriend... all that time ago. It's a true mix of styles and attitude, from the lo-fi indie of the aforementioned single to the more polished sheen of current single Hurricane Jane and instant hit of Hit The Heartbrakes. If you're a fan of the likes of The Arcade Fire, The Shins, Bloc Party, that sort of stuff then this is definitely for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its taken 37 years, 12 Dec 2008
This review is from: Partie Traumatic (Audio CD)
It is 37 years since I bought my very first album and at last, hundreds of LPs, tapes and Cds later I have bought an album where I like every single track. This album makes no pretences, it is pure pop at its very best and I am sure Black Kids will go on to great glories. On the strength of the album my daughter and I went to their gig at Leeds Met Uni. It was packed,loud, fast and frenzied and everyone knew the songs! They can play and perform. Watch for them at next years festivals. Inote they are supporting Kaiser Chiefs on tour soon.I might go and duck out early before the predictable and boring main band come on!

5.0 out of 5 stars At last!!!, 27 July 2008
D. Money (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Partie Traumatic (Audio CD)
In the modern world with the formulaic, follow-my-leader attitude which has given us so many bands sounding the same and trying to follow in the footsteps of industry leaders like Arctic Monkeys, I can't overstate how much the Black Kids are a breath of fresh air.

Its a unique, quirky and energetic album which puts that spring back in your step. From start to finish I thoroughly enjoyed this album and its been a while since I've said that (Biffy Clyro's puzzle I think).

So if you're tired of the dross offered up by the mediocre Wombats, Pigeon Detectives, Enemy (the list could go on) then BUY THIS NOW!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC Debut Album Offering Hit After Hit, 7 July 2008
E. Bryce - See all my reviews
This review is from: Partie Traumatic (Audio CD)
This albums fresh and will get you grooving if not singing along! Black Kids are a great band (even if they are from the States) and deserve big success - Good luck for the future guys. If your next album's as good as this one i can see good times ahead for you, not just in Britain but the rest of the world! One listen and I'm hooked, can't find one bad track on here. Probably one of the best albums released this year, go buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars hit the big times, 17 July 2008
This review is from: Partie Traumatic (Audio CD)
i am very impressed with this album. every song is so fun and catchy. this summers must listen. there is not a dud song on here. sounds a bit like cure & human league like someone else on here said. 10/10

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent fun, 7 Jan 2012
This review is from: Partie Traumatic (Audio CD)
The music is quite indie but not irritatingly so. You will find banging choons here for boogie-ing to on public transport or whilst out walking the dog.

Partie Traumatic
Partie Traumatic by Black Kids (Audio CD - 2008)