Format: Audio CD|Change

on 1 June 2008
I can see where the review before is coming from. I too have nearly all the tracks in one form or another already. What is great, however, is that I have been nagged by my kids for years to borrow my CD's of my chillout stuff and I have refused and here it all is in one healthy lump. Daughter now has her own and I'm just about to buy my son his own too.

If you like the idea of CD's you just put on and work to, relax to, cook to or whatever and you don't already have an extensive collection, go for it.

MOS are making money yet again but they are also providing the goods. :-)
on 10 August 2008
I was actually going to make exactly the point that Mr Hunter made about this album. "If you have bought previous chillout albums before, then it's fairly pointless you buying this." However, if like me you haven't, then it's very much worth the purchase.
I have had a void in my musical collection - I have the most chilled of chillout from the likes of Enya up to my ears, and I have the most banging of trance that the likes of MoS have dished out for years up to higher than my hair. However, chillout from general artists I didn't have a great deal of. This album has pretty much filled that void.
Ignoring what was on past albums for a moment, this album does contain an excellent choice of songs that fulfill your chillout needs from the hypnotic, to the uplifting, to the actually quite funky and lively... albeit never straying from what these days is known as 'chillout.'
I've found it is great to listen to when doing work, relaxing, or just generally... it won't get a party started but it will suit many other home-held events.
Basically my point is this - don't buy if it you have the songs, buy it if you don't. Quite simple, really.
on 3 January 2011
I concur with the other reviewers that this compilation is so good. Every song on this three cd set is magical and very soothing (there is definitely something for everyone). The music in this collection is a beautiful fusion of various electronica classics from the time period of the early 1990's until 2008. My personal favorites in this collection were Sweet Harmony by The Beloved, Art of Noise by Moments In Love, The Herbaliser by the Sensual Woman, Eple by Royksopp, I Believe by Simian Mobile Disco, and Deepest Blue. There is a total of 60 songs in this wonderful compilation, and with this variety many who buy this collection are going to discover songs that resonate with them. This is good and uplifting music that you can pretty much play around anyone and/or at gatherings. It is definitely gently advised to give this assortment of unique songs a chance if you enjoy electronica and/or chillout music.
on 29 September 2008
I agree that MOS are always just re-hashing old classics, again and again and again. But this album is better than that! Besides, if you have all these tracks already - don't buy it!

But this compilation has a lot more integrity than all the other "churners". There are quite a few tracks that you wouldn't expect - it's not all commercial at all. Also, the album remains consistently enjoyable. Many other MOS CD's seem to start with great tunes, and then fade into a load of "filler" tracks - just there to pad the CD out. This one doesn't!

I have a fair few chill out albums, and this one includes many of the best tracks from those. It's a great album, very enjoyable - I bought it for myself and 2 other friends! I definitely recommend it!
on 9 December 2008
Wow. What an album. The majority of the songs on this album really are something special. The re-release is frowned upon though, but in cases like mine it works in my favour that being it's the first time I've heard a lot of these tracks.
on 27 November 2008
Many of the other reviews about this product are critical of this album as they seem to be saying that it has too many good songs that they already have. I do not see why this should be a problem as having all these very good tracks in one package must be a good thing.
If you are new to this genre of music like I was then this album is the ideal starting point and I would highly recommend it to you.
on 3 April 2009
Disregarding MoS cash-ins, the fact is there are a lot of people out there who dont go clubbing and only get to hear tunes such as on this album on TV ads, films etc. MoS is about the only label able to pay for expensive TV ads and so this is one of the few such comps casual punters are likely to come across. I've yet to see any ads for Cafe Del Mar, Warp and Ninja Tunes. Of the 60 tracks there are a few that are a bit ordinary and not exactly suitable for chilling out but most of the classics of the genre are here. For people who just want a good superficial cross section of the genre this release does the job fine, especially at the current prices you can now pick it up for.
on 20 June 2008
If you do not have all the tracks on back catologue like me. This is a good compilation album.
on 27 December 2008
Got this in my stocking from santa (ho ho ho, merry xmas to all!), not that impressed with it so far. Had a quick listen to all 3 CD's, theres a few good tracks on there but too much cheese for my liking! I think it might be a good one to put on post club for background music but apart from that its not really doing anything for me.

As others have said if you own other MOS compilations/chillout CD's you've probably got most of these tracks anyway. I'll not complain too much as it was a present but not one I would have bought myself.
on 29 May 2008
Firstly, allow me to apologise for not actually submitting so much a review of this triple pack audio offering to the public, but more a question to the powers that be at M.O.S., should any of them be reading this.
There are some very nice tracks on these three C.D's. Very nice indeed.
I've been perusing my own personal back catalogue of 'chilled' mixes of tracks I've gathered over the years and many of these here are in there, up amongst my faves.
The quality of some of these tracks are flawless and complement any chilled situation without question.
Most people with any interest in this spectrum that is the commercial dance/chilled crossover genre of music will have no doubt heard/bought many of these tracks before, be it on countless other commpilations or individually on their own merit.
I'm not saying that the music on these C.D's isn't good, it is, but what I find so, so frustrating here is, that yet again M.O.S have churned out yet another triple packer with practically every track having already been featured on zillions of 'chill out' albums before.
It was only recently M.O.S did exactly the same thing with their triple 'Anthems' package.
Again, another 'churner' - with most of the tracks included having been re-packaged many times before, bettered before and mixed much better before on other compilations.(The mixing on many M.O.S C.D's leave a lot to be desired)
Here's a quote from M.O.S's own website regarding this current offering -

"Following on from the half a million selling Anthems compilation Ministry Of Sound bring you its sister album `Chilled'."

Hmmm, quelle surprise! Didn't see that one coming did we?
Once upon a time M.O.S were fresh, innovative and dare I say it, pioneering; offering clubbers something to look forward to with each release they bestowed upon us. Nowadays, they appear (in my humble opinion) to be nothing more than a huge money making machine, caring very little about musical/artistic content while caring a great deal about their bank balance.
So, Mr/s Big Man/Woman at M.O.S - apart from feeling a burning desire to line your already bulging pockets.........
Why bother?
77 comments|73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse