5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fish eye lens!!!
Published on 18 April 2009 by Michelle Chen

3.0 out of 5 stars Pros and Cons ..
For quality? It's not great - the edges are blurry and even with editing, I'm not satisfied with the result of the photos.
For a taste of fisheye @ this price? Awesome! If you are a amateur and wanted to try different views. It's great!

I have actually decided to buy a real full lens after this trial! :)
Published on 1 Sep 2009 by Justina Lee

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fish eye lens!!!, 18 April 2009
Michelle Chen (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Opteka .35x HD² Super Wide Angle Panoramic Macro Fisheye Lens for Nikon D3000, D3100, D3200, D5000, D5100, D5200, D7000, D7100, D3, D4, D40, D40x, D50, D60, D70, D70s, D80, D90, D100, D200, D300, D600, D700 & D800 DSLR Cameras (Camera)
I was a bit hesitant at first to purchase this Opteka lens 'cause there weren't many reviews out there. But since purchasing it last week (it arrived well before the estimated delivery time!), I'm so happy with it. It does exactly what it says it does, it takes great fish eye shots, fits right into my Nikon D80, plus 47th Street Photo threw in an extra gift: a cleaning kit and a mini tripod! If anyone's thinking about buying one, I strongly urge you to, it's money well spent!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but you get what you pay for, 12 July 2012
I was given this lens as a present and it's been a lot of fun. I was surprised by the quality, it's much better than I had expected. If you want to play around with very wide angle lenses and macro photography and are prepared for 'fun' rather than 'good' image quality then you won't be disappointed with this lens. Put it this way - it was a great present that I'm really enjoying.

The negative reviews seem to be from people comparing this £30 lens to 'proper' fish eye lenses costing many hundreds of pounds. Nikon sell an excellent fish eye lens which you can pick up on Amazon for a little over £500. They also do a superb 10-24mm wide angle lens for about £100 more than that. People are prepared to spend this much because that's what a decent amateur lens costs. I have the wide angle lens and there is simply no comparison between the image quality of that lens and this fish eye adapter - and there shouldn't be, given the price difference!

In conclusion, this is a toy - as you would expect for the price. However, that doesn't mean that it isn't a lot of fun to play with or that you won't be able to take photos that you like. Quite the opposite, in fact. If you're reading this then you're almost certainly contemplating buying this to have play with - if so then you'll certainly get your money's worth in enjoyment and experimentation. If however you're looking for a decent lens to take quality photos with and are wondering if this is a cheap way of achieving that aim, then it's not - you need to multiply your budget by about 15x!

Incidentally, I've been using this with the 18-55mm kit lens of my Nikon D3000. At the lower end of this it takes great circular fish-eye pictures, but the top and bottom of the circle are clipped off by the edges of the sensor so don't expect perfect 'globe' images unless you have a wider lens you can use. Higher up in the range the images fill the frame without vignetting, but obviously the effect of using this adapter becomes rather reduced compared to using the lens at its widest setting and it's not really worth the reduction in image quality. I'm not saying this isn't suitable for use with the kit lens, just that you need to have reasonable expectations.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pros and Cons .., 1 Sep 2009

I have actually decided to buy a real full lens after this trial! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great lens for some cool effects, 2 Aug 2010
I bought this lens as a little bit of fun and to experiment with getting effects for portraits and landscapes.

A key piece of information that i missed when i first read the description is that it attaches onto a LENS not the actual camera - so after fumbling around for 10 minutes discovered it screws perfectly onto the 18-55mm kit lens for Nikon D5000 and D40!

So after feeling suitably stupid i've tried the lens taking really good portraits, pet photos, cool macro shots of flowers and insects and skylines and i'm very impressed with both the feel and quality of the lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful lens and seller, 12 Dec 2009
P. J. Long (England) - See all my reviews
I ordered this item on Tuesday 8th. I tracked it through 8 stages across USA for FREE. When it got to Stanstead airport I had an E-Mail saying the estimated delivery was Friday 11th before 12 noon. It came at 11-15am and at 11-18am I received an E-Mail saying it had been delivered and my wife had signed for it. Is that bloody fantastic or what !!!! The lens itself is very good. Not in the same class as a Nikon fisheye of course but at approx' £700 cheaper I can live with a little fuzziness around the edge. The adaptors were very welcome and are of very good quality. The free plastic film-mini tripod-lens cleaner+fluid was also a nice touch.
All in all I am very pleased with my purchase and even more so with 47th Street. I'm 65 years of age and that's old enough to remember when this kind of customer service was the norm. I never expected to see it return but with 47th Street that old fashioned customer care has come into the 21st century. Will use again. I can't praise this company enough. Everything you read about them is true. And, contrary to some opinions, Opteka is of a very fair standard. I would never have been able to afford a fisheye without them. Very happy old man signing out.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a cheap chunk of glass but it can give some interesting results, 12 Sep 2012
C. Irwin "Shizzling" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I bought this screw on fisheye adaptor to use attached to my Fujifilm X10 or my Nikon D300. I wanted it for a particular purpose - to give a distorted fisheye effect when taking bracketed exposure shots for converting into HDR (High Dynamic Range) photos.

For that purpose it's fine - it has already given some interesting results.

However, if you're expecting pin sharp images you need to lower your expectations. The attachment is soft/distorted apart from an extremely small focus point. It has tons of chromatic aberration and lens flare. None of these things are a problem for what I'm trying to achieve - the distorted dirtiness becomes a factor that you take into account when taking photos - but it's something to be aware of.

I've given it 4 stars because I think it meets my expectations but certainly doesn't exceed them.

I hope this review is useful to you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great lens, 24 Nov 2009
C. Brodie (Aberdeen, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Fitted to my camera really well and does exactly as described. I tried a cheaper alternative before this and was very unhappy with the result. This lens gives me the panoramic shots I was looking for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Opteka .35x HD² Super Wide Angle Panoramic Macro Fisheye Lens, 2 Sep 2009
Mrs. S. Galley (UK) - See all my reviews
Fits on the front of a wide angle lens. Won't focus on long lenses. Fisheye is very effective at very close range. Macro part of lens focuses at just a few centimetres. Strange loose metal ring on front of lens doesn't seem to do anything....

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a real fisheye, but good enough for the price, 4 Sep 2013
I needed a fisheye lens to get some pictures to sell a house. When I saw the price of Nikon mount fisheyes I considered the investment absurd. Even a rental would be very expensive.
When I found this and the other .2 adapter I decided that this would be a "safe" investment for the purpose I had in mind.

So, the quality might not be on par with a Nikon fisheye, but what were you expecting at this price.

I tested with both a 18-55 Nikon lens that has a 52mm outside diameter that fits right on the adapter and with the 18-105 Nikon lens that has a 67mm outside diameter and the photos are very similar at small zoom levels.

On the 18-105 at full zoom (105) the center is in focus but the the rest is not, which might be fun to create some creative pictures.

I've added several pictures comparing both lenses with the adapter fitted at various zoom levels.

All in all, I would buy it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great item at a great price, 4 Nov 2010
As I am fairly new to digital photography I was understandably weary about spending money on 'cheap' lenses which I had been told were no good. This lens is definately not one of these products, don't let the price fool you. I recieved the lens within days of purchase and it does exactly what you would expect of it, I use it for my Nikon d3000 and I am very impressed. Yes, perhaps it is not a professional standard lens, but hey, what can you expect for the price? I would highly recommend this product to anyone thinking to experiment new with their photography.