5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer musical joy!
This is the one Willie Nelson album to have, even if you don't normally like his music. I lent my copy to a friend who really doesn't like the red-headed stranger. I had trouble getting it back!
Published on 4 Jun 2004 by Doktor Futtocks

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star
bad choice need to try again.
Published 1 month ago by GH

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer musical joy!, 4 Jun 2004
Doktor Futtocks - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Stardust (Audio CD)
'Stardust' is never far from the hi-fi in my home. When the sun is beating down and you just feel happily lazy, make yourself a tall cool drink, put this album on, slouch on the couch and remind yourself how privilieged you are compared to those who do not own a record of such richness and soul.

5.0 out of 5 stars Landmark album deserves all the acclaim, 4 April 2003
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Stardust (Audio CD)
Country purists may not like this album, but I love it. It introduced a whole new set of people to the songs of the thirties and forties that make up the majority of the original album. Unchained melody (from the mid-fifties) is very modern by comparison.
I knew very little about most of these songs when I first bought this album on vinyl, but I have since acquired a taste for the music from way back then. According to the liner notes, Moonlight in Vermont is Willie’s favorite song. The original singer was Margaret Whiting, and while I now prefer her version, I might never have discovered her music if it wasn’t for this album and its sequel, Somewhere over the rainbow.
The rest of this album includes covers of Stardust (Isham Jones, 1931), Georgia on my mind (made famous by Ray Charles, but originally a hit for Frankie Trumbauer in 1931), Blue skies (Ben Selvin, 1927), All of me (two versions both topped the American charts in 1932, one by Louis Armstrong and the other by Paul Whiteman), September song (Walter Huston, 1939), On the sunny side of the street (Ted Lewis, 1930), Don’t get around much anymore (Duke Ellington, Glen Gray and the Ink spots all had top ten hits with it in 1943) and Someone to watch over me (Gertrude Lawrence (1927).
Two bonus tracks recorded at the same sessions, slightly more modern, are included here. Scarlet ribbons fits easily with the other songs. I can see clearly now does not really fit. Although it is a brilliant version, it is just a different style from the other songs here. Even so, I’m glad it was included.
Almost all these songs were included on the Australian compilation All the songs I’ve loved before, which has also been released in Britain. That compilation (which I’ve already reviewed) claims to include all the songs from this album, but September song is missing (probably by accident). In any case, I bought this before I bought that compilation.
This was a landmark album when released and was a huge seller, deservedly so.

5.0 out of 5 stars simple genius, 12 Oct 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Stardust (Audio CD)
When I get together with friends and talk about the new albums we've bought recently, I seem to stick out like a sore thumb!! While they're buying the latest Ibiza chillout albums, or getting worked up about the new Kylie video, I'm off buying remastered albums by Willie Nelson!!
But this is chillout music of a completely different kind. Willie and an acoustic band led by Mr Booker T. Jones (Booker T and the MG's fame) have a whale of a time on a clutch of old time gentle songs that just ooze class.
The sound quality on this remastered CD is nothing short of sensational as is the playing of the band, especially on harmonica and drums.
I'd love to hear a Travis album after they'd listened to this for six months!!!
Willie Nelson has not had the recognition he deserves in the UK as he is considered solely a 'country' artist, but music as good as this is genre defying and I for one will be searching out more of his back catalogue in the future.
A gem of a find!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars An example of Willie Nelson's versatility, 13 Dec 2002
This review is from: Stardust (Audio CD)
When Willie said he wanted to record an album of standards, Columbia records were dubious. As usual, Willie was right and the record executives were wrong. Long haired, pot smoking outlaw produces an album that most crooners could only dream of. Working with producer Booker T, Willie makes songs like "Blue Skies", "Georgia" and "Moonlight in Vermont" his own. His unique jazz influenced phrasing and his immediately recognisable guitar style take these songs to new heights. The bluesy harmonica adds an extra dimension, and Booker T's production is always sympathetic.
This remastered album has two bonus tracks, both of which are excellent, but neither of which really fit into the mood of the album. However, his version of "Scarlet Ribbons" is one of his lesser known gems, and makes a moving end to the album for a sentimentalist like me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very relaxing and placid music, 1 April 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Stardust (Audio CD)
I was so glad this album was released on CD as I first owned it 20 years ago on vinyl, it sounds better now than ever.
Don't catergorise Willie as a Country singer, he has a style of his own. A blend of jazz, the blues, southern rock and gospel. I love to listen to this album every evening to help me to unwind and relax.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nelson at his best, 23 Feb 2012
This review is from: Stardust (Audio CD)
I bought Stardust after reading Willie Nelson's autobiography he constantlly refered to it in different parts of the book These are his favourite songs none of them written by him but definately sung by him Every song is a classic and I hope you enjoy as much as I have

5.0 out of 5 stars Still fantastic after all these years, 29 May 2010
This review is from: Stardust (Audio CD)
We remember places, various events and sometimes a piece of music because they transport us back to a special time or a happier time and sometimes just because we were much younger then...but every now and then we recollect something and can't shake it from our memory and we need to go back and find it.

For me this is one of those items that I had to go and find and purchase again. Heard original on vinyl but all that has come & gone in the name of decluttering!

Yes, Willie Nelson once heard never forgotten be he singing one of his own many superb compositions or, as in this fine example, covers of other timeless classics.

His voice and timing is unique to Willie and Micky Raphael on harmonica with it's soulful plaintive sound feels almost like a lost way of speaking.

Buy this CD if you had the vinyl - extra tracks, great price.

Buy this CD if you've never actually listened to Willie Nelson - a great treat.

And buy this CD if like me circa 1974/1975 you ever thought Billy Swan was great. I thank the friend who encouraged me to go to a Willie Nelson concert when Billy Swan was the support act.

Where is Billy swan now? No offence but he was of the moment back then whereas Willie Nelson is, as he has always been, in the forefront still.

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 7 July 2014
This review is from: Stardust (Audio CD)
bad choice need to try again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasure against the grain., 2 July 2014
This review is from: Stardust (MP3 Download)
Although not a Country Music fan, I was intrigued by the playlist and took a punt, and I'm glad I did. Willie Nelson inhabits these standards and makes them his own. A sign of a great artist. And a warning not to let prejudice close your ears. Listen and judge for yourself. Like me you may be pleasantly surprised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Willie's Best, 28 Dec 2013
This review is from: Stardust (30th Anniversary Legacy Edition) (Audio CD)
This is Willie Nelson's best recording if you are in an older age group and love the classics by Berlin, Gershwin, Porter. etc.

Stardust (30th Anniversary Legacy Edition)
Stardust (30th Anniversary Legacy Edition) by Willie Nelson (Audio CD - 2008)